Lumia 720 Purchases

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So I purchased two Lumia 720s in Hong Kong with the expectation that I could take them anywhere in the world and use HERE Drive+ turn by turn navigation. All of the Nokia PR information – yes ALL OF IT – says as much. HERE Drive (no +) is reserved for non-Lumia WP8 devices according to the marketing blurb. Now after examining the phones and scouring various blogs I find out that the 720 does not in fact support Drive+. So my phone is limited to navigation in Hong Kong and Macau where only 10% of people actually own a car and the vast majority travel by taxi or public transport! Please listen Nokia… I did not but my TWO 720′s to navigate in Hong Kong. Why would I? Why would anyone? I bought them to use everywhere else just like all your PR and websites claim I should be able to do.
Now I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed in you Nokia. If you plan to do something like this then surely the right thing to do is to tell people clearly *before* they have a chance to buy the wrong product – or two of them!
Other than the problem with Drive+, the 720 is a stellar product. Still love the phone.

That sucks and so does Nokia in communicating information to users. A product manager dit say this about Here Drive on Nokia Lumia 720 & 520 Q&A With Product Managers : My Nokia Blog but it sucks that the 720 has Drive, while the 620 has Drive+.

Chakram

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So I purchased two Lumia 720s in Hong Kong with the expectation that I could take them anywhere in the world and use HERE Drive+ turn by turn navigation. All of the Nokia PR information ? yes ALL OF IT ? says as much. HERE Drive (no +) is reserved for non-Lumia WP8 devices according to the marketing blurb. Now after examining the phones and scouring various blogs I find out that the 720 does not in fact support Drive+. So my phone is limited to navigation in Hong Kong and Macau where only 10% of people actually own a car and the vast majority travel by taxi or public transport! Please listen Nokia? I did not but my TWO 720′s to navigate in Hong Kong. Why would I? Why would anyone? I bought them to use everywhere else just like all your PR and websites claim I should be able to do.
Now I?m not mad, I?m just disappointed in you Nokia. If you plan to do something like this then surely the right thing to do is to tell people clearly *before* they have a chance to buy the wrong product ? or two of them!
Other than the problem with Drive+, the 720 is a stellar product. Still love the phone.

It is based on your SIM Card, first SIM card entered I think will determine what region's turn by turn your phone will lock to. Once + leaves Beta, you will be able to get it then

Chakram

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That sucks and so does Nokia in communicating information to users. A product manager dit say this about Here Drive on Nokia Lumia 720 & 520 Q&A With Product Managers : My Nokia Blog but it sucks that the 720 has Drive, while the 620 has Drive+.

HERE Drive on Lumia 720/520 offers a free local navigation service with offline turn-by-turn guidance. Once HERE Drive+ leaves the Beta status, you will be able to purchase HERE Drive+ with a global navigation service if you're using a Lumia 720 or 520.
At the same time, HERE Maps available on Lumia 720/520 offers an opportunity to download all available country maps globally to the phone and use all the features of HERE Maps, including access to walk navigation, drive and transit routes.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I bit the bullet and just ordered the 720 from Expansys USA. The initial 720 reviews have been really positive, and some reviewers came from the 820. As much as I like the 820 the battery life wasn't great, and the intermittent noise cancelation issue was driving me nits. lol

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I just purchases the Lumia 720 (Red) for $AUS 347 (I'm in Australia) from a local retailer. I played with a 620 for a few weeks, but decided to go with 720 because of the bigger battery. I haven't set it up yet, but I like the slim design. Feels better in my pocket than the 620 - less bulky.

SoupDoggyDog

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I will be upgrading to the Lumia 720 next week (23th April) my smartphone history so far is as follows:-
1) iPhone 3g - Hated it as it must have been dropped as the wifi reception was awful.
2) HTC Desire - Got into Android very early on, when all my friends had 3gs's & the iPhone 4 was just released
3) iPhone 4 - Got bored with Android after 2 years & missed having a phoned that 'just worked'
4) Will be a Nokia Lumia 720 - Been interested in WP for a while now and finally feel it's time to make the switch.

I'm not really a gamer so the 512MB of RAM doesn't bother me, the battery life appears to be excellent for a smart phone & various photo examples I've seen online look very impressive so I can't wait to get my hands on a 720 :)

theotherskipper

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of buying the 720 although not anytime soon as I'm strapped for cash atm :cry: hopefully in a couple of months. However, I am a little confused between the 820 and the 720 as both are selling for the same price on ebay. I have access to LTE, but it's not that big a deal for me as I'll never be able to truly enjoy LTE on Canada's ridiculously priced networks.
Factors that compel me to choose the 820: Processor and RAM
720: Design (although not that different from the 820, I still love the overall form factor of the 720 over the 820), Camera (this is surprising as I'm not really a camera person but the quality of the pictures I've seen makes me wish I had one) and Battery.
:

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually thinking about getting the 720 and ditching the 810. But, I would like to be able to use wireless charging. Has anyone found the wireless charging covers for this yet? I'm in the states.

Derman

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm just now getting my new 720 set up on ATT. I got it off eBay and it appears to be an Asian phone - Chinese was the default language.

I'm coming from a Lumia 900 and the size, weight, finish is all an improvement. Screen is about the same, pictures are good. I can't wait to experience that long battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett