Interesting situation with AT&T

G1bbyson

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
So I purchased a new Lumia 920 yesterday from AT&T. I switched over my go phone account to it but they failed to inform me that seeing as it is a smart phone I would not be able to use the data on it.... And now they refuse to give me any good advice on what I should do to get this fixed. I would have originally gotten a 2-year contract with it but I don't have any credit to speak of so in order to do that they wanted me to drop $500 dollars on it, and I would have been paying roughly $80 a month to use it. So I said screw it and bought it at retail price and decided to use my go phone plan on it and that is where they screwed me over by not informing me of it not being able to use data. So now I'm in a pickle and don't know what to do or where to turn because to put it on a contract plan it will cost me the $500 down payment, and I don't want to give them another large amount of my money after they did this to me. Any suggestions?? Anything would be helpful at this point.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked at StraightTalk yet? Perhaps their monthly plans will be more affordable. If not and it's unlocked and you're willing to do a bit of work, you might be able to get it running on t-mobile who has a great $30/month plan (unlimited data (throttled after 5gb/month), unlimited text, 110 minutes talk per month) if you have decent t-mo reception around there

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Best and easiest would be to go to straight talk. They have ATT Micro Sims that you order $15 i think. The phone does not have to be unlocked. You get it, put it in, activate it and you are good. You will probalby have to edit the apn settings but you should be good to go. $50 a month with tax or so. You have the same coverage as ATT, as you are using their network, just not paying as much.

***Edit*** Out of stock online. http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-sold-out-of-att-sim-cards-online-dont-panic/

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I purchased a new Lumia 920 yesterday from AT&T. I switched over my go phone account to it but they failed to inform me that seeing as it is a smart phone I would not be able to use the data on it.... And now they refuse to give me any good advice on what I should do to get this fixed. I would have originally gotten a 2-year contract with it but I don't have any credit to speak of so in order to do that they wanted me to drop $500 dollars on it, and I would have been paying roughly $80 a month to use it. So I said screw it and bought it at retail price and decided to use my go phone plan on it and that is where they screwed me over by not informing me of it not being able to use data. So now I'm in a pickle and don't know what to do or where to turn because to put it on a contract plan it will cost me the $500 down payment, and I don't want to give them another large amount of my money after they did this to me. Any suggestions?? Anything would be helpful at this point.

You can use your phone with:
Straight Talk($45 monthly) -Straight talk offer everything unlimited but they cap you at 2gb,
H20 wireless($60 monthly)-Same as Straight Talk
Net10($50 monthly).- Unlimited talk and text,1.5 gb data starting on March (they use to be Unlimited, Now you can do whatever you want with your 1.5 gb of Data)
Personally i use my 920 with Net10 .Most of them say Unlimited but they cap you so is not "true unlimited". Also make sure sure to read the terms and conditions because they don't allow streaming(Pandora, You tube , video calling etc, Only Net10 let you now). Make sure that no matter which company you choose to buy the micro SIM for an AT&T phone

Straight Talk- Welcome | Straight Talk

H20 Wireless- https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

Net10- NET10 Wireless

Unless your phone is unlocked you can NOT use it with T-mobile, that's why i didn't bother to put the information of each provider with T-mobile but some of them have SIM cards that use T-mobile Network. Also that's why i told you to make sure to buy the micro SIM Card that works for with an AT&T phone. I don't know either if like Net10, Straight Talk is going to be affected with the new Data changes that are going to affect Net10 starting on March(1.5 gb Data ) since they both belong to the same mother company which is Tracfone

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Best and easiest would be to go to straight talk. They have ATT Micro Sims that you order $15 i think. The phone does not have to be unlocked. You get it, put it in, activate it and you are good. You will probalby have to edit the apn settings but you should be good to go. $50 a month with tax or so. You have the same coverage as ATT, as you are using their network, just not paying as much.

***Edit*** Out of stock online. PSA: Straight Talk And Net10 Sold Out Of AT&T SIM Cards Online – Don't Panic
You can get Straight Talk Sims at Walmart and Net10 Sims almost everywhere
and Net10 refill cards at Familly Dollar stores, Duane Reade, Target, Cell phones stores, Rite Aid, etc

Iron Eagle

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Straight Talk and Net10 don't sell at&t sims anymore on their website recently. You have to find them somewhere else.

I used to work at RadioShack and I know they sell Net10 sim card packages that do have an at&t variant of their sim cards for just 9.99.

Or you can can go on ebay and buy a straight talk sim for at&t service for around $50

G1bbyson

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually am waiting on an unlock code for my phone, I looked for straight talk at&t Sims and since they aren't being made anymore are ridiculously expensive. So like I said I'm waiting on an unlock code and have trimmed up a straight talk T-Mobile sim so it would fit into my phone and am just going to go with them. I've heard that there aren't really issues with the data and mms if you do that. Unless you guys have heard differently?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually am waiting on an unlock code for my phone, I looked for straight talk at&t Sims and since they aren't being made anymore are ridiculously expensive. So like I said I'm waiting on an unlock code and have trimmed up a straight talk T-Mobile sim so it would fit into my phone and am just going to go with them. I've heard that there aren't really issues with the data and mms if you do that. Unless you guys have heard differently?

I used Straight Talk for a while with my Titan II and I didn't have any issues. Worked great. They still sell Straight Talk ATT Sim cards. You can find them in the store, they are just out of stock online.

ATT > TMobile IMO

G1bbyson

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, and I just have no idea when they will be back in stock. I just hope using a trimmed T-Mobile sim on an unlocked 920 won't screw anything up in that process.

G1bbyson

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
If so I haven't been told about it. And even with all the problems I have grown attached to my new toy and don't want to give it up.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The minimum plan is a $60 plan with something like 350 no share minutes, no text and 200mb data.
And screw the resellers and ATT retail store. They are commission based so they will trick you to take the most expensive option. there is also a $70+ plan with data but they will not tell you until you can point it out. Do not need to be kind to them when they are for nonsense requirement. ATT retailers are the most untrained, cheating sell(wo)men I have seen in the entire mobile business.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Att Is kinda expensive but I'm also comin from metro pcs att service is soo good my lte is everywhere I go plus seems like were ever iam at there's WiFi so maybe look in to att service in your area especially lte 4g

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My att lte speed is almost 10 mgb
That's why I have att plus got my Lumia 920 super cheap by salesman mistake . Rang up my bill and charge wrong amount (undercharged me by alot) and att never charge me the difference plus shipped me free wireless charging pad free!!!!! That's why I'm with att....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6