Screen (and Body) Protector Recommendation

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
RE: Screen Protector Recommendation

I have a wet protector on my 8x. Military suit or shield or something... But, it works REALLY well. Even covered up all the scratches on my screen. Probably have that for the 920.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

JoeOhio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen Protector Recommendation

I just got the best skins ever for my 920. I got the full body and i like it. The back was a little tricky to put on with the corners.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

OK... So phone is back ON... And I am finally able to see my screen in action. Wow that thing is a beauty!

Now bare with me because I didn't feel the screen without a protector so I don't know how accurate I can be with the 'feeling' test... I feel it may be a little tiny bit rubbery, but so minimal I have to really look for the feeling to be aware of it, if that makes sense. And only when I place my finger in certain angles (for instance when I touch the screen with part of the nail and part of the finger at the same time).

Also, tried the screen with a big winter sock on my hand and the screen was perfectly responsive.

Hehehe, yeah, that is my good old super basic multimeter. When I got it I thought It wasn't going to last 6 months and there it is 6 years later still working perfectly.

So I guess it passes the screen clarity test, then. Does it cover the entire screen?

I'm still hoping there's someone here who has tried the wrapsol and the bodyguardz though.

I have a wet protector on my 8x. Military suit or shield or something... But, it works REALLY well. Even covered up all the scratches on my screen. Probably have that for the 920.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

How's the screen clarity and does it feel smooth? No orange peel?

I just got the best skins ever for my 920. I got the full body and i like it. The back was a little tricky to put on with the corners.

Same question as above, and would it work with a case?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Yup, perfect clarity. It covers the entire screen with appropriate cutouts for the earpiece, front camera, and proximity sensor.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Just as a side note, I think the reason for lack of availability of the "dry apply" or static cling screen protectors for the 920 is due to the beveled edge of the screen.

A static cling type protector would have to come up short of the screen edge to prevent the edge of the protector getting caught on things as it they are still somewhat rigid. It would be forever lifting up and you'd get annoyed with it pretty quick.

The wet apply ones have the advantage of being able to bend around corners. :cool:

I've used both Skinomi and Bodyguardz in the past with great results - it's all down to getting a good application. I personally rate Zagg as worst of the bunch because they always have a rubbery feel to them and also an orange peel effect when you look at them.

My pro tip? Bear with me as this will sound kinda gross - rub your finger on your forehead or side of your nose and get some skin oil on it. Then rub this in circular motions all over the screen protector. Let it sit for a bit before cleaning off with lint free cloth. Do this a few times and the protector will stop feeling rubbery and end up feeling like glass.

It would happen after a while of normal use anyway - I think the oils from your skin penetrate the membrane and help it to feel smoother. Works for me anyway! :grin:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Just as a side note, I think the reason for lack of availability of the "dry apply" or static cling screen protectors for the 920 is due to the beveled edge of the screen.

A static cling type protector would have to come up short of the screen edge to prevent the edge of the protector getting caught on things as it they are still somewhat rigid. It would be forever lifting up and you'd get annoyed with it pretty quick.

The wet apply ones have the advantage of being able to bend around corners. :cool:

I've used both Skinomi and Bodyguardz in the past with great results - it's all down to getting a good application. I personally rate Zagg as worst of the bunch because they always have a rubbery feel to them and also an orange peel effect when you look at them.

My pro tip? Bear with me as this will sound kinda gross - rub your finger on your forehead or side of your nose and get some skin oil on it. Then rub this in circular motions all over the screen protector. Let it sit for a bit before cleaning off with lint free cloth. Do this a few times and the protector will stop feeling rubbery and end up feeling like glass.

It would happen after a while of normal use anyway - I think the oils from your skin penetrate the membrane and help it to feel smoother. Works for me anyway! :grin:

I actually wouldn't mind if the static cling protector didn't cover the entire glass, as long as it doesn't peel it's fine. But a wet apply protector might be a better option if I can find one that doesn't feel or look rubbery to me. What screen protectors have you used before, and do you think you could rank them?

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

martin fields is a great cut and comes with the camera protection too , its a bit exspensive but its a very nice screen protector and one of the only ''dry apply'' ones ive found to fit good , the cheap ebay ones are naff and peel at the edges etc because of the curved glass and them being to big martin fields have it bang on :)

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I am starting to feel now a bit more the rubbery thing. I also absolutely do not like that it is really easy to leave "tracks" on the skinomi protector and they don't go away. They stay there, like really small indentations.

For someone with no screen protector... Is it hard to unlock your phone with gloves on? I find that unlocking my phone with gloves is a bit difficult, once it is unlocked I can manipulate it OK but the unlocking proves somewhat difficult... I ask because I am wondering if it is the screen protector causing that or if it is normally that way.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

I am not sure about the rubbery feel, I don't really experience that with my Ghost Armor. If it is there it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it.

I am not sure I understand the "tracks" you are talking about. I for sure don't have anything like that on my screen protector.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I actually wouldn't mind if the static cling protector didn't cover the entire glass, as long as it doesn't peel it's fine. But a wet apply protector might be a better option if I can find one that doesn't feel or look rubbery to me. What screen protectors have you used before, and do you think you could rank them?

I've used the following and ranked them accordingly:

1. Skinomi - 1st equal
  2. Bodyguardz - 1st equal, really not much between these two.
  3. Phantomskinz
  4. Zagg

However, it's worth noting that some manufacturers give you 2 shields whereas others only give you one. To my knowledge the only one in my list that only gives you one shield for the money is Zagg.

Hope that helps.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I am not sure about the rubbery feel, I don't really experience that with my Ghost Armor. If it is there it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it.

I am not sure I understand the "tracks" you are talking about. I for sure don't have anything like that on my screen protector.

The rubbery feeling is tiny, but I feel it. The indentations that I mention are very small scuffs that are left on the protector when the screen is pressed in certain ways. They are super small and I am sure most people would not notice... I am just anal, hehehe. :p I don't even know if I can get them on a picture to show here.

But to show you that I am not crazy... The person doing this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkY-6dnK26U

For the 1043 case mentions in the comments he has the skinomi case. If you look at the video around 2:32, 2:38, and 3:00 when he holds the phone at certain angles you can see some of the scuffs... Also in one of his video replies he mentions:

Thanks for watching! It's the Skinomi techskin. I actually preferred the old techskin because the one I got for my lumia 900 stayed as smooth as glass even after 6 month but this one already has many marks that won't fade away. I wrote on the screen protector with a digitizer pen 3 weeks ago and it's still there. :/

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Check out "xtreme guard" on eBay. $1.99 for one wet application guard and I think they are solid. No gouges like skinomi and has a cutout for prox sensor. A little rubbery feeling but not bad.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Check out "xtreme guard" on eBay. $1.99 for one wet application guard and I think they are solid. No gouges like skinomi and has a cutout for prox sensor. A little rubbery feeling but not bad.

I've used these as well and they're certainly not bad for the money. They are quite a bit thicker material than the others I mentioned though and do have a bit of a rubbery texture. Still - can't grumble about the price right? :cool:

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I bought one for 920 and one for iPhone (screen protectors only) and they ended up sending back protector for the 920 and screen for iphone. Installed the iPhone and wasn't too happy with it. I have had fair amount of experience with both wet/dry installs and I don't like what i saw with the Xtremeguard. But that's my personal view.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

The rubbery feeling is tiny, but I feel it. The indentations that I mention are very small scuffs that are left on the protector when the screen is pressed in certain ways. They are super small and I am sure most people would not notice... I am just anal, hehehe. :p I don't even know if I can get them on a picture to show here.

But to show you that I am not crazy... The person doing this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkY-6dnK26U

For the 1043 case mentions in the comments he has the skinomi case. If you look at the video around 2:32, 2:38, and 3:00 when he holds the phone at certain angles you can see some of the scuffs... Also in one of his video replies he mentions:

Haha, I'm anal about stuff like that too. I guess I should skip the Skinomi then. I never really was considering it in the first place though because of the wet install.

I've used the following and ranked them accordingly:

1. Skinomi - 1st equal
  2. Bodyguardz - 1st equal, really not much between these two.
  3. Phantomskinz
  4. Zagg

However, it's worth noting that some manufacturers give you 2 shields whereas others only give you one. To my knowledge the only one in my list that only gives you one shield for the money is Zagg.

Hope that helps.

*sigh* After reading a bunch of opinions I'm still confused as to what to get. I almost want to buy every brand there is and have an "Ultimate Screen Protector Shootout," but I certainly don't have the money to do that.

What I think I will do is try out the Wrapsol Ultra and the Bodyguardz, and return what I don't like. They both have 30-day return policies. If I don't like either, then I'll probably go for the Martin Fields.

I'm surprised no one here has any experience with the Wrapsol.

Does anyone here have body protection from any brand? Would it be suitable for a case? I really want to avoid those microscratches on the glossy polycarbonate. I'm afraid that the body protection may peel, stretch, or get caught in my custom car mount.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I'm anal about stuff like that too. I guess I should skip the Skinomi then. I never really was considering it in the first place though because of the wet install.

*sigh* After reading a bunch of opinions I'm still confused as to what to get. I almost want to buy every brand there is and have an "Ultimate Screen Protector Shootout," but I certainly don't have the money to do that.

What I think I will do is try out the Wrapsol Ultra and the Bodyguardz, and return what I don't like. They both have 30-day return policies. If I don't like either, then I'll probably go for the Martin Fields.

I'm surprised no one here has any experience with the Wrapsol.

Does anyone here have body protection from any brand? Would it be suitable for a case? I really want to avoid those microscratches on the glossy polycarbonate. I'm afraid that the body protection may peel, stretch, or get caught in my custom car mount.
as much as zagg is bad mouthed, I had originally bought the one from att and when I exchanged my 920 I warranty replaced the zagg. The one I got from zagg directly has much less "orange peel" and it feels less rubbery. The package even states that it has a new glossy finish.
I lIke it alot and am super ocd when it comes to my screens.
It is a dry install which to me is great. I had some pretty decent bubbles in it when I installed it, was nervous they wouldn't come out as they were not "micro bubbles" by any means.
BY the second day to my amazement , all bubbles were completely gone.
There warranty exchange process is amazingly easy and no questions asked.

I use the back layer under my case np problem.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This forum member has a Skinomi on the Lumia 920 he or she's selling.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/buy-sell-trade/218639-wtt-black-lumia-920-extras-htc-one-x-x.html

I don't like what I see.

as much as zagg is bad mouthed, I had originally bought the one from att and when I exchanged my 920 I warranty replaced the zagg. The one I got from zagg directly has much less "orange peel" and it feels less rubbery. The package even states that it has a new glossy finish.
I lIke it alot and am super ocd when it comes to my screens.
It is a dry install which to me is great. I had some pretty decent bubbles in it when I installed it, was nervous they wouldn't come out as they were not "micro bubbles" by any means.
BY the second day to my amazement , all bubbles were completely gone.
There warranty exchange process is amazingly easy and no questions asked.

I use the back layer under my case np problem.

Is the orange peel any better than what's in the thread I linked above? How much did it cost?

A lot of people don't like the old Zagg because it was rubbery and had that orange peel look. Then Zagg came out with new versions, but on Zagg's website, it doesn't tell me what version they're selling for the 920. But if I go to the iPhone 5's page, there's a bunch of different options.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This forum member has a Skinomi on the Lumia 920 he or she's selling.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/buy-sell-trade/218639-wtt-black-lumia-920-extras-htc-one-x-x.html

I don't like what I see.

Is the orange peel any better than what's in the thread I linked above? How much did it cost?

A lot of people don't like the old Zagg because it was rubbery and had that orange peel look. Then Zagg came out with new versions, but on Zagg's website, it doesn't tell me what version they're selling for the 920. But if I go to the iPhone 5's page, there's a bunch of different options.
omg its waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the one linked hahaha. It was 30 bucks. I'll try and get a pic of it posted in the morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb