Should I switch to WP8?

Daniel Amareen

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
My 2nd comment after reading what the others are saying, i must say that with my lumia 920, i never had any reboots, no rattles, and my battery holds for a day easily (connected all day, games, browsing and such, but no NFC or Location), so the hardware is top notch for me, these are just some bad cases of busted devices i guess.
Again the OS is beautiful, smooth, and functional. i highly recommend it and i probably will never go back to Android unless they do something ground breaking that might pull me back, iOS is not appealing to me at all either, though i think it's good.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love the camera on this phone. Here are a bunch of my unedited shots. Half are before Portico, half after: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror . I've spent a good deal of time on this forum defending it, but it seems like the people that have issues with it either were convinced by Nokia's marketing department that it's a valid SLR replacement and are disappointed at the results, actually have faulty hardware, or don't really understand why everything can't always be in focus with a locked f/2.0 lens. The post-processing software didn't sharpen the images enough for most people's liking prior to Portico. It seems to sharpen it enough now.

I've had my 920 since launch, and it does everything I want it to do. It has never frozen (seriously), and it doesn't get excessively hot. I had an iPhone 4S and Droid 2 Global before that (and then various smartphones going back to the Treo 650), and the 920 is my favorite phone to date. Voice quality is terrific, the interface looks and feels good and I just really enjoy using it. The battery lasts twice as long as the 4S (no LTE in my area). I have dedicated devices for reading, watching movies, listening to music (Spotify is acceptable on the Lumia, though), surfing, FB etc, so I really just use the core functionality of the phone most of the time.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
@DaveGx

From what I understand the reboot issue isn't a defect caused
by hardware. MS released Portico which was meant to address the issue. So to me that would indicate that It's a software/OS issue?

@conanheath

"random resets" This is before AND after Portico? How many
do you deal with? I'm trying to find concrete evidence of this issue
but it just seems so random and not everyone experiences it.

I think it would be a concern even on the next gen WP8 devices.

Also for everyone complaining about poor battery life on the 920
Wasn't Portico supposed to deal with that to some degree?

Personally I'm not that impressed with my S3 battery.
It won't last me a whole day of use and I'm not even talking intensive use like
games/movies. Just SMS, web Browsing, photo browsing, some camera use and It'll be
dead before days end.

@Cameradork

Those are some nice looking photos.
I believe I do see some focus/fuzziness issues in at least 2, but most are
quite sharp. Do you tweak settings on the camera to get them
to look that way prior to taking the photos?
I'm mostly looking for a point-and-shoot with good results
type of camera as I know nothing about cameras.

I heard after the Portico update some people were experiencing issue with focus on the camera, but not for you?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a shame there are so many mixed, but mostly negative responses regarding WP8 / Lumia 920 on these forums. If a product is bad then It's bad and I don't expect glowing
reviews....But can this phone and OS truly be THAT bad or do forums always just attract overly critical people?
While I'm sure some are legitimate complaints, It's difficult to discern between what is real and what is as the result of someone not knowing how to use their device to It's full potential etc.
I kinda came here hoping for a push to get into WP8/Lumia 920, but reading a lot of these responses is off-putting so as I said I guess I will wait 'till the next Gen WP8 comes out and see what OS updates are on the way.

I hope Nokia keeps with It's design aesthetics and doesn't do a major overhaul on the Lumia brand or whatever flagship is next as I do like the colors and design of the Lumia 920.
I read they were switching to aluminum while still keeping the color options.... So I hope so.

Thanks for the responses.

Cheers.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame there are so many mixed, but mostly negative responses regarding WP8 / Lumia 920 on these forums. If a product is bad then It's bad and I don't expect glowing
reviews....But can this phone and OS truly be THAT bad or do forums always just attract overly critical people?

When a device is first released you see a flood of posts from people gushing about how wonderful the device is. As that passes and people settle into normal daily life again those types of posts become fewer, and a lot of people just stop visiting the forums altogether. What you then see is people posting about new apps, news or (when there is very little of the prior two) problems. In the case of the Lumia, there's not much happening in the way of news, and new apps aren't inundating the store, either, so what you end up seeing is a lot of posts from people who have problems with their phones.

It's unfortunate, because this really is a hidden gem as far as smartphones go. Again, between my Z10, Note 2 and the Lumia, the Lumia is the one that I choose to use the most. I went to Android because of the customization but I learned, over the last two years, that customization has its drawbacks as well.

While customizing the OS is nice, it's just like customizing a car: the more stuff you change, the more likely you are to run into problems down the road. Android is like that. I have my Note 2 set up so that its ability and efficiency are unrivaled by any other mobile device I've used, regardless of OS. It has gestures and hotspots out the wazoo, and the screens (lock and homescreens) even look great. Any info I want is either immediately available or no more than two swipes or clicks away. It's wonderful...when it works. Running all kinds of widgets and apps you run into problems with lagging, freezing, crashing from time-to-time. Initially there were no issues, but over time it has become increasingly problematic.

Customizability is great, but it comes at a price. I like the compromise that WP8 presents.

I forgot to mention that the battery life on my 920 is unreal. I just plugged it in a few minutes ago because I was tired of waiting for the battery to deplete. It still had 24% charge remaining after 28 hours (including phone calls (speakerphone, bluetooth and 'normal' calls), bluetooth music streaming via LTE, web browsing, texting and other messaging, forum app use, etc).

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that the real issue is problems with the OS. This is actually just like World of Warcraft, really. By that, I mean the complaints here are mostly the vocal minority. Just like in World of Warcraft, there are people who complain about every little thing like it's a cancer on the game's forums. As many point out there, those who are happy with the game are too busy playing it to go to the forums and complain. The same could be said here, that people are out using their phones, rather than complaining about them.

The other thing is that I think Windows Phone owners are less fanatical and more like realists with the platform. We aren't going to defend the platform's negatives and be fanboys and lie about the shortcomings of the platform. I can point out many things that are imperfect with Windows Phone, but I wouldn't FOR A SECOND think about leaving it for Android, let alone the nightmare that is the Apple bandwagon.

Rather than tell you everything you want to hear, we're telling you the facts of the matters at-hand so you can make an honest, informed decision. I can tell you what I dislike about Windows Phone, but I can tell you much larger things that I dislike about Android. I will NEVER recommend iOS to someone because I think that it offers nothing over the competition, but I can recommend Android to those too impatient to wait for apps like Instagram or games like Temple Run (neither of which interest me, but I get that they are popular). So while you might say that there is a lot of negativity, I think it more that it's a tendency of Android and iOS fans to put on the rose-colored glasses more.

I love Windows Phone, and my Lumia 920 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what my HTC Droid Incredible was. My brother-in-law's Galaxy S III might be customizable (though he doesn't do that stuff), and it might have hundreds of thousands more apps, but they do nothing for me when compared to what Windows Phone offers me--full Xbox LIVE integration, a great camera, wireless charging, the best screen technology in a smartphone, great build quality, a beautiful, simplistic UI, and the ability to toss out the pre-installed crapware without rooting.

It's up to each person to get what he wants, but after using Windows Phone, I legitimately don't know if I would even want another smartphone if this OS went away, just because it's such a pleasant experience when compared to my issues with Android.

See? I can gush about it, but that doesn't tell you that this platform has growing pains to work through. The desktop software (particularly Xbox Music) could really stand to be improved. The apps obviously need to come. The other section of storage has a tendency to grow like a disease (though there are ways to fix that). The proximity sensor can be sketchy at times (compressed air can easily fix that). Those things all suck, but even combined, they don't' ruin the experience because a couple of minutes a month can keep the storage and proximity sensor working properly, and apps WILL come. Xbox Music might really need improving, but it's MUCH better than the music player(s) I experienced on Android.

Picking your OS is less about what it CAN do, and more about how bad its deficiencies will affect you. You might need Instagram or some other app not on Windows Phone. I needed to get away from an OS that was full of garbage apps I couldn't install (like Slacker, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype; I never used any of them, but they would open themselves in the background on occasion, and I couldn't uninstall them without learning to root the device).

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the real issue is problems with the OS. This is actually just like World of Warcraft, really. By that, I mean the complaints here are mostly the vocal minority. Just like in World of Warcraft, there are people who complain about every little thing like it's a cancer on the game's forums. As many point out there, those who are happy with the game are too busy playing it to go to the forums and complain. The same could be said here, that people are out using their phones, rather than complaining about them.

The other thing is that I think Windows Phone owners are less fanatical and more like realists with the platform. We aren't going to defend the platform's negatives and be fanboys and lie about the shortcomings of the platform. I can point out many things that are imperfect with Windows Phone, but I wouldn't FOR A SECOND think about leaving it for Android, let alone the nightmare that is the Apple bandwagon.

Rather than tell you everything you want to hear, we're telling you the facts of the matters at-hand so you can make an honest, informed decision. I can tell you what I dislike about Windows Phone, but I can tell you much larger things that I dislike about Android. I will NEVER recommend iOS to someone because I think that it offers nothing over the competition, but I can recommend Android to those too impatient to wait for apps like Instagram or games like Temple Run (neither of which interest me, but I get that they are popular). So while you might say that there is a lot of negativity, I think it more that it's a tendency of Android and iOS fans to put on the rose-colored glasses more.

I love Windows Phone, and my Lumia 920 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what my HTC Droid Incredible was. My brother-in-law's Galaxy S III might be customizable (though he doesn't do that stuff), and it might have hundreds of thousands more apps, but they do nothing for me when compared to what Windows Phone offers me--full Xbox LIVE integration, a great camera, wireless charging, the best screen technology in a smartphone, great build quality, a beautiful, simplistic UI, and the ability to toss out the pre-installed crapware without rooting.

It's up to each person to get what he wants, but after using Windows Phone, I legitimately don't know if I would even want another smartphone if this OS went away, just because it's such a pleasant experience when compared to my issues with Android.

See? I can gush about it, but that doesn't tell you that this platform has growing pains to work through. The desktop software (particularly Xbox Music) could really stand to be improved. The apps obviously need to come. The other section of storage has a tendency to grow like a disease (though there are ways to fix that). The proximity sensor can be sketchy at times (compressed air can easily fix that). Those things all suck, but even combined, they don't' ruin the experience because a couple of minutes a month can keep the storage and proximity sensor working properly, and apps WILL come. Xbox Music might really need improving, but it's MUCH better than the music player(s) I experienced on Android.

Picking your OS is less about what it CAN do, and more about how bad its deficiencies will affect you. You might need Instagram or some other app not on Windows Phone. I needed to get away from an OS that was full of garbage apps I couldn't install (like Slacker, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype; I never used any of them, but they would open themselves in the background on occasion, and I couldn't uninstall them without learning to root the device).
Truth.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the S2 Skyrocket to the Lumia 900 and the fluidity of the OS is incomparable. And this is on WP7. I'd considered switching to Android a couple of times due to needed a few apps for my work but everytime someone is interested in selling/trading their Android to me, I just can't bring myself to go through with it. While both WP7 and WP8 have their flaws, they are super underrated mainly because of lack of apps. There is some basic functionality that isn't baked into the system and can get annoying, but overall to me (without the apps) it is better than any Android device. But then again if possible I'd even choose the Blackberry Q10 (not z10) over Android any day. I'm also a sucker for good, sturdy hardware, that also happens to look beautiful.;)

Simb3

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Everybody should. I've owned my Lumia920 since November and am really happy that I made the switch from Android.

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Today is my 2 week point with my 920, where I could have taken it back. I switched from an iPhone 4, mainly because I never want to give Apple any of my money ever again. I'm down to one MacBook Pro after nearly 30 years as loyal customer. I smiled when Steve Jobs left us. Karma.

I am quite happy with the 920, although there are a few simple things I think MS can do with some updates. I'd like a notification center, and for my texts and emails to pop up on the screen long enough for me not to have to press any buttons. I would also like individual volume controls for different functions. Also, I should be able to prevent the screen from locking, either automatically while on a charger, or at least as a setting that can be switched on and off as needed.

As far as missing apps: I would like a native Pandora, Mint.com and Wells Fargo app. I'm not sure if there are any other major issues. I don't use games or fart generators, just productive things. I was missing Google Maps when I first got the phone, because the traffic data on Nokia Here is pretty weak. Luckily I found out about gMaps, and honestly, I think it's better than the Google Maps on iOS. I've never used an Android phone, so I don't know how that compares. Oh, I did also like Motion X Drive on iOS, but Nokia Maps works pretty well too, just need to input my customer addresses to make LA and OC trips a little easier from San Diego.

The pluses on the hardware side: The phone is large enough for man-sized hands. I do like the plastic vs the metal body, though I did like the steel case on the iPhone 4 vs the Aluminum one on the 5. (I've honestly only seen fewer than half a dozen iPhone 5s in the wild, which is very odd compared to how quickly the 4 spread. Must be a good correlation to stock price.) The camera is quite good, but still not a replacement for a good point and shoot or a real SLR, both of which I still lug around.

I can't think of any negative hardware issues. Not yet at least.

Overall, I think this phone is great for the main reasons to have a phone. Talking, Texting, Email, some navigation, and some entertainment. I'm not planing to diagnose cancer or fly quadracopters from it.

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey man, I'ma tell you my truth. ~ Money is usually a thing with everyone. So I myself, I'm getting an Xbox Infinity this year, so I'm saving up. ~ And so, I'll probably then get a Windows Phone 8.5 phone next year. I don't wanna dissuade you off of Windows Phone any, but Xbox Music on Android might hold you at some point.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with summer600 assessment of Windows phone. But speaking from what I use which is the Nokia 920. This OS is NOT iOS or Android. If that is what you hope to mimic here, I would suggest that might be a bridge too far. Having said that, that doesn't mean you cannot or you won't embrace this phone for all the great stuff it does have.

The thing many will complain about here is apps and features not yet available on this platform: Instagram and notification respectively. There is a reason for that. The outliers are those that want quad core, HD screens, HDMI ports, removable batteries, the ability to make the screen look like an Iphone and such, but beyond that, continue to do what you are doing, ask questions.

Understand what you can live with and live without then decide. For me, if I change anything it would be carriers. This platform is developing nicely and most everything I need to do is here in the Nokia 920. The pace could be quicker but I don't want the development cycle to supplant functionality. Bring it when its ready because Ive seen too many bad acts with companies pushing products to market too soon and hoping an update will be in time to calm the masses.

Motorola Xoom tried that crap. Promised the moon in a tablet and then said, buy the XOOM, then send it back in a month, so we can put in LTE and memory slots about 4 to 6 weeks of that. Microsoft tried it with Vista, pushed it out before it was ready and hoped a quick update would heal all wounds. Not so much.

We kinda saw that with WP7. It too was put on the market and we had to wait to get cut/paste with NoDo update, then the 500 plus changes / improvements in the Mango update which did smooth out the OS but made developers weary in the process. But that's a brief of the development cycle. WP8 is what we've been waiting for IMHO. I have seen a lot of really nice games and apps for WP8 and more are on the way, aka the official Pandora app. There are just a few things it needs to add and it'll be the go to device.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Cameradork

Those are some nice looking photos.
I believe I do see some focus/fuzziness issues in at least 2, but most are
quite sharp. Do you tweak settings on the camera to get them
to look that way prior to taking the photos?
I'm mostly looking for a point-and-shoot with good results
type of camera as I know nothing about cameras.

I heard after the Portico update some people were experiencing issue with focus on the camera, but not for you?

95% of the time I'm shooting full auto with the focus assist light off. The rest of the time it's either in close-up mode if I know I'm going for macro, or I alter the white balance or ISO if I'm looking for a particular effect and then try to remember to set it back to auto for next time. I usually get 3-4 captures for each shot I'm going for and then cherry-pick the best one. I don't find focus to be an issue most of the time - I hold the hard button half way to get focus lock, and then push it all the way to capture. Once in awhile I tap to focus and shoot, and that tends to work as well. I do find that if I'm going for a close-up and don't choose "Close-up" mode, then it doesn't focus correctly, but I don't have that problem with anything that's not a close-up.

I've tried an iPhone 4S, HTC One X, GS3, and a few others, and the 920 has the best camera of the lot. Nokia is the only phone manufacturer that seems to understand how to source components for photographic quality and aesthetics, as opposed to having the right marketing bullet points. Still and all, it's not a camera and it's not about to replace even my wife's Canon S95 anytime soon, but it's great for spur-of-the-moment shots of relatively slow moving or still things and the occasional artsy pic. It's also the first phone I know of that will give you good pics in low restaurant lighting without a flash most of the time if you hold it reasonably still. What it's not going to do is stop quick action (especially in poor light), zoom in on a monkey across the street or produce shots that will hold up to pixel-peeping scrutiny or being printed on 20x30 posters. It won't take photos in complete darkness without a flash - they make special cameras for that and they're really expensive. It's amazing for a phone, not for a camera. The video I've seen out of the 920 is pretty spectacular, but I can't speak to that firsthand really because I'm a stills guy.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Should you switch? Think about those apps, are they something you wish you had? Are there WP8 alternitives? Are you like me and want the latest and greatest? Can you deal with some problems?

If you want the latest and greatest, wait. Software updates are coming. Nokia has some amazing hardware in the works. You have a good phone now, no need to switch. I don't have a phone so I am switching sooner.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I love the photo taken by 920 after Portico update. For me, problem before the update has been solved.
I never had reboot problem after Portico update.
I have heat problem and when that happen I also have battery problem.

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
95% of the time I'm shooting full auto with the focus assist light off. The rest of the time it's either in close-up mode if I know I'm going for macro, or I alter the white balance or ISO if I'm looking for a particular effect and then try to remember to set it back to auto for next time. I usually get 3-4 captures for each shot I'm going for and then cherry-pick the best one. I don't find focus to be an issue most of the time - I hold the hard button half way to get focus lock, and then push it all the way to capture. Once in awhile I tap to focus and shoot, and that tends to work as well. I do find that if I'm going for a close-up and don't choose "Close-up" mode, then it doesn't focus correctly, but I don't have that problem with anything that's not a close-up.

I've tried an iPhone 4S, HTC One X, GS3, and a few others, and the 920 has the best camera of the lot. Nokia is the only phone manufacturer that seems to understand how to source components for photographic quality and aesthetics, as opposed to having the right marketing bullet points. Still and all, it's not a camera and it's not about to replace even my wife's Canon S95 anytime soon, but it's great for spur-of-the-moment shots of relatively slow moving or still things and the occasional artsy pic. It's also the first phone I know of that will give you good pics in low restaurant lighting without a flash most of the time if you hold it reasonably still. What it's not going to do is stop quick action (especially in poor light), zoom in on a monkey across the street or produce shots that will hold up to pixel-peeping scrutiny or being printed on 20x30 posters. It won't take photos in complete darkness without a flash - they make special cameras for that and they're really expensive. It's amazing for a phone, not for a camera. The video I've seen out of the 920 is pretty spectacular, but I can't speak to that firsthand really because I'm a stills guy.

In what way(s) is the Nokia camera better than the S3 camera?

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
How are the apps on WP8? (Not the number) but the quality when comparing the same apps across iOS and Android?

Are there good apps on WP8 that aren't on the iOS/Android ecosystems?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb