Switched from a note to the 920 and mind-blown!

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome guys! I just discovered the Weave news reader and it is amazing! very strong flipboard alternative. Missing the 'COOL' swipes etc, but very easy to use. And its got the orientation lock. which is awesome.

If you're using the free version, a little tip - tap the ad, it will open the browser, then hit the back button (I don't even look at the page, I hit back right away). The rest of your session will be ad-free.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The app gap people complain about is due to Microsoft not opening its API to developers. WP is a successful phone with users and interested developers but lack of open API API

As a developer I can say with certainty this is not the case at all. Microsoft has provided the best development tools, frameworks, and APIs for years. This is actually one of the main reasons MS was so successful in the desktop/server market. They made it relatively easy for third party developers to create useful programs. The WP platform is no exception.

The reason that WP is lacking in third party apps is because the WP OS was late to the party. It's a chicken and egg situation. Developers don't focus on apps for WP because it doesn't have a lot of market share. WP doesn't have a lot of market share because it doesn't have apps from developers. This isn't an impossible situation to overcome, but it does take time. At some point, as long as the platform continues to gain market share, it will reach a critical mass and apps will start showing up fast.

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I've been slightly tempted in the other direction, solely because of the Note's Wacom pen. If the Android version of OneNote was more fully featured, I'd have already picked a Note up off eBay to attempt to use for a few weeks. Probably not as a full-time replacement, but still.

I did this. Got a Note 2 after using the Lumia800 for a year. I didn't work and I had to return it after just 2 days. It was not so much the build quality (got an Ativ S now, like it very much). It was the OS and, ironically, the way the notification center works (the important stuff gets buried in crap). But it did one thing: it did show me how much I like WP and how much I got used to the way it works.

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
As a developer I can say with certainty this is not the case at all. Microsoft has provided the best development tools, frameworks, and APIs for years. This is actually one of the main reasons MS was so successful in the desktop/server market. They made it relatively easy for third party developers to create useful programs. The WP platform is no exception.

The reason that WP is lacking in third party apps is because the WP OS was late to the party. It's a chicken and egg situation. Developers don't focus on apps for WP because it doesn't have a lot of market share. WP doesn't have a lot of market share because it doesn't have apps from developers. This isn't an impossible situation to overcome, but it does take time. At some point, as long as the platform continues to gain market share, it will reach a critical mass and apps will start showing up fast.

Exactly my thoughts. WP fails to reach the level it deserves because developers want to develop for an OS with at least 10-15% marketshare, and that marketshare wont grow till developers flock to the OS and make quality apps for it.
MS is in a fix and this is all because they dint start early on. Immediately after the iPhone was revealed in 07 MS should've started giving a lot of attention and buliding the WP8 we have now. Even if WP8 would've arrived in 09 in the form we're experiencing now and with nice team up with Nokia and HTC, today WP8 would have atleast a 30% market share. They arrived late, quite late.

Now according to me, the only way MS can ever reach the 15-20% marketshare would be to continue building and strengthening relationship's with handset manufacturers especially Nokia and HTC as both make very neat phones, and at the same time it needs to improve the OS and get all the functionality that iOS and android have, even if it's in a different 'style'.
And most importantly, MS should give a LOT of attention to its store, and attract developer's. The giant that MS is, i think they should just start a totally new department that ONLY makes apps for Windows8 and WP8. Possibly even buy out a few mid-size developers, not the size of Rovio or Zynga, but even a couple of mid-size developers who have been known to make solid useful and fun apps for any ecosystem. Once this department builds some solid amazing app's, which could even possibly be WP8 'exclusives', more customers and developers in turn will be attracted towards the platform. And skype integration would be a very nice thing to have as well.

HansTWN

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
My previous phone was the Dell Streak, the first 5" "modern" phone on the market. But now my tablet has taken over a lot of my phone's function, so the small size of the Lumia 920 feels just right. Even the 5.5" Note 2 is still too small for comfortable browsing, doesn't feel much better than the Lumia 920 in that regard (my colleague has one). But the Note looks rather cheaply made and ugly, and I was tired of constantly tweaking my Android devices.

Last edited:

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
And if Blackberry understands and works on this before MS does and gets a 10% market share by end of '14. It will be major major disappointment. Bill Gate's will be heartbroken and so will we. :winktongue:

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My previous phone was the Dell Streak, the first 5" "modern" phone on the market. But now my tablet has taken over a lot of my phone's function, so the small size of the Lumia 920 feels just right. Even the 5.5" Note 2 is still too small for comfortable browsing, doesn't feel much better than the Lumia 920 in that regard (my collegue has one). But the Note looks rather cheaply made and ugly, and I was tired of constantly tweaking my Android devices.

True. When i had the Note i got so used to the huge ass screen, and never thought id be able to adjust to a smaller screen. But it seems im more than happy with the size of the 920. Fits better in my hands and pockets and the build quality is far far better than the Note. And in terms of looks and beauty it blows almost every phone out of the water.

Though im really liking the HTC One. Its quite sexy looking.

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
to rewind/forward a song hold the next/previous song, many users don't know about this & complain about this feature missing. My friend had Focus S for 2 years & didn't know that we could do this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb