Switched from a note to the 920 and mind-blown!

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So finally i got my L920 today (white) and i am absolutely amazed as to how much i LOVE the 920! it makes the Note look like garbage compared to it. and WP8 is easily the most under-rated OS ever and so is the 920. Its so damn smooth and fluid and the entire way the OS works and looks, is insane. I am a fan of typography and good fonts etc. and the OS is just so beautiful. The lockscreen, the icons all of it. Its just too good. and i dont get the whole notification center thing, you have tiles and a lockscreen giving you notifications which i, personally find more than enough and in fact a better way to display notifications. I love how FB chat is integrated into the messaging, and the People and Me tiles are very functional. Though Android had way more apps and has too much support behind it, i think Nokia and MS have done a Kick-ass job.They arrived late, but arrived with a bang with this phone. All my friends were so jealous of my phone. For the first time they saw that their iPhones and Galaxy's looked very underwhelming, in comparison to another phone. I always though Apple made very premium-like products and the best in their league (though i have a strong hatred towards them), but the 920 makes even Apple look mediocre. WP8 looks, feels and functions WAY better than iOs. Atleast too me.
And the camera is another level altogether. The 8MP shooter on the Note just pales in comparison.

Overall, ive never been happier with a phone purchase. Nokia killed it.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
As a person who has played around with every phone out there you can imagine (due to friends who purchase all kinds of phones :p) I can easily say that you are right my friend. The galaxy note was too big for my liking, and L920 was a BIT on the big for me, but still amazing, so I went with the 8X and am not disappointed at all :). WP8 is there future my friends ;)

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As a person who has played around with every phone out there you can imagine (due to friends who purchase all kinds of phones :p) I can easily say that you are right my friend. The galaxy note was too big for my liking, and L920 was a BIT on the big for me, but still amazing, so I went with the 8X and am not disappointed at all :). WP8 is there future my friends ;)

IMO if the 920 is too big go for the 820, can't miss out on them juicy Nokia apps!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I have to admit, I've been slightly tempted in the other direction, solely because of the Note's Wacom pen. If the Android version of OneNote was more fully featured, I'd have already picked a Note up off eBay to attempt to use for a few weeks. Probably not as a full-time replacement, but still.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So finally i got my L920 today (white) and i am absolutely amazed as to how much i LOVE the 920! it makes the Note look like garbage compared to it. and WP8 is easily the most under-rated OS ever and so is the 920. Its so damn smooth and fluid and the entire way the OS works and looks, is insane. I am a fan of typography and good fonts etc. and the OS is just so beautiful. The lockscreen, the icons all of it. Its just too good. and i dont get the whole notification center thing, you have tiles and a lockscreen giving you notifications which i, personally find more than enough and in fact a better way to display notifications. I love how FB chat is integrated into the messaging, and the People and Me tiles are very functional. Though Android had way more apps and has too much support behind it, i think Nokia and MS have done a Kick-ass job.They arrived late, but arrived with a bang with this phone. All my friends were so jealous of my phone. For the first time they saw that their iPhones and Galaxy's looked very underwhelming, in comparison to another phone. I always though Apple made very premium-like products and the best in their league (though i have a strong hatred towards them), but the 920 makes even Apple look mediocre. WP8 looks, feels and functions WAY better than iOs. Atleast too me.
And the camera is another level altogether. The 8MP shooter on the Note just pales in comparison.

Overall, ive never been happier with a phone purchase. Nokia killed it.

My sentiments exactly. I thought Microsoft were dead and buried with their mobile platform, and if you would have asked me several months ago if I can see myself switching from my iPhone to a different platform I would have said not in a million years. Now, however, I am a proud owner of a Lumia 920 and am loving it. Microsoft have done in my opinion a brilliant job, but there is still a lot of work for them to do, and now it is up to them to carry on the great work. It would be a great shame if they decided to give up on it, as HP did with webOS.

azaright

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The app gap people complain about is due to Microsoft not opening its API to developers. WP is a successful phone with users and interested developers but lack of open API API

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with all your opinions. As for the honeymoon period ending and the annoyances popping up. Idk im pretty optimistic. Not that i think this is the PERFECT phone, but seriously what is perfect?
The camera alone was worth the switch and the OS is a major major change that im loving. I have Windows 8 on my Laptop as well and i dont really get why its bashed so much. I really really loved Windows 8. Possibly one of the major reasons why i gave WP8 a shot.

I agree- Microsoft have done a great job CREATING a fast and fluid and super-neat OS. But after creating it comes the difficult part, where they need to get rid of bugs, give us the updates, increase functionality. At the same time market WP8 devices and push the phones to the lime-light and at the same time work with developers and grow the store. ALL of this needs to be done simultaneously and that according to me is the most difficult part. If they focus on one and neglect the others its(WP8) never gonna grow to the level it deserves.
And another reason i got the 920 is because everyone loves an underdog. and right now both Nokia and Microsoft are under-dogs in the smartphone game.
Nokia is doing a killer job and they need to keep improving, and so does MS.
Hopefully the store will grow as customers grow and the OS becomes even better overall.
And I dont really think that MS is gonna give up easy, they seem to be slow, but not to the point where they'd give up. Atleast I hope so. I hope they realize the potential this has, and what they could be if they stepped up their game. Cuz the reactions im getting about the OS and everything about this phone is something i never expected. EVERYONE seems to love the phone. and me the most.
And yes Android was slightly laggy but not too much. I dont have a thing against Android. Just iOS. Its kinda sickening how Apple havent really innovated much at all on their phone since 07 and they still manage to sell millions of those phones. I have an iPad and dont use it at all. Just my mom. Ive never had the urge to ever pick it up and play with it. Being such a freak about technology it would be weird. But i dont find it attractive or enticing enough to pick and play at all.

Anyways till now the things that have very slightly bothered me about the 920 would be
- No way to lock portrait/landscape . Kinda annoying when im in bed playing with it.
- No scrubbing to rewind or FF in the music player.
- Nokia Musics 6 songs an hour thing on Nokia Music.

And that's pretty much it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The app gap people complain about is due to Microsoft not opening its API to developers. WP is a successful phone with users and interested developers but lack of open API API

Not true. There are apps that don't need anymore APIs and are still not here. What they lack is customers. Period.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hold down Skip button to fast forward\rewind
Graffiti Radio (3rd party Pandora app) has unlimited skips. Amazing Music is another great music app.

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome guys! I just discovered the Weave news reader and it is amazing! very strong flipboard alternative. Missing the 'COOL' swipes etc, but very easy to use. And its got the orientation lock. which is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos