A new firmware for lumia 920 in navifirm?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be all Nokia update, no OS update - OS is still the same: 8.0.10211.204 ... so it means no Bluetooth 4.0 yet ...

Well, maybe the swedish fw has also OS update (GDR2) ... anyone can confirm it ?

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Just had a bunch of store updates, including display+touch and extras+info. I now have the Storage Check app (which is pretty neat, you can see how much space each app is taking up and you can clear the temp files), and the display+touch app has changed layout (now one tab for display and another for touch, no other changes though). Perhaps everyone else is getting these as well regardless of their FW level - I guess we'll know soon enough.
I'd also agree that the camera seems to have had some tweaks. Not seen any other changes as yet. Not going to comment on battery life until I've given it a day or two to settle down.

And to confirm, this is definitely a FW-only update. OS version is still Portico.

Toink

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Just had a bunch of store updates, including display+touch and extras+info. I now have the Storage Check app (which is pretty neat, you can see how much space each app is taking up and you can clear the temp files), and the display+touch app has changed layout (now one tab for display and another for touch, no other changes though). Perhaps everyone else is getting these as well regardless of their FW level - I guess we'll know soon enough.
I'd also agree that the camera seems to have had some tweaks. Not seen any other changes as yet. Not going to comment on battery life until I've given it a day or two to settle down.

And to confirm, this is definitely a FW-only update. OS version is still Portico.

Hi! Can you please state which exact firmware/product code you got on your phone? Thanks!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ok, so this is confusing... the Storage Manager has to be an OS tool as the developer SDKs don't provide methods to clean up the Other storage.

So these have to be OS enhancements. And given the title GDR2 and recent news, doesn't that imply a Microsoft update. I.e. to the OS.

Sure, Nokia will upgrade the firmware too, but are we really saying there are no changes anywhere other than a new EXE and some Nokia firmware?

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting stuff, i come from a thoroughly obsessed ios jail breaking back ground and love the flashing of firmware, the "other" issue has been a huge gripe for me in the 4 weeks that i have owned this phone, i am on ee in the uk and sorry for the newb questions but i must ask, does re flashing delete apps and data etc? is there any risk? finally, is it worth me doing it through navifirm or waiting until ee/ nokia release the update for me in the uk?

Cheers you knowledgeable lot!! :)

(1st post :confused:)

Welcome!
Flashing can be somehow understand as "format-reinstall". Although you can skip the format part and do an upgrade flash but is not recommended. It is not as easy as jailbreaking an iphone but is not that complicated either.

Yes, if you choose the "factory reset" aka the "format-reinstall" all apps and setting are gone. Although WP8 comes with a cloud backup option but I do not recommend it as it is buggy. However if you have apps that were free but now no longer available you might want to take your chance with that.

Everything is as describe in the sticky thread in this 920 board. However...
You need to have a battery 70% phone, a stable USB port and a stable power source. Making sure the process is NOT INTERRUPTED is very important!
Good luck!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
ok, so this is confusing... the Storage Manager has to be an OS tool as the developer SDKs don't provide methods to clean up the Other storage.

So these have to be OS enhancements. And given the title GDR2 and recent news, doesn't that imply a Microsoft update. I.e. to the OS.

Sure, Nokia will upgrade the firmware too, but are we really saying there are no changes anywhere other than a new EXE and some Nokia firmware?
Is not confusing but rather people did not realize smartphone are pretty similar to PC in design.

In a Windows PC, we usually update our OS say from XP to 7. Yes MS does includes a variety of drivers but user is always advice to check for their pc components' driver updates. While you can skip this step in W7 and W8 but you have to live with some weird bug caused by the generic driver from MS.

Same goes to smart phone. It has the OS and the OS does includes some common drivers. But due to a more specific differential in the hardware architecture, phone needs more specific drivers to be able to work properly. So in common practice, phone manufacture receive the baseline OS from MS, tweak it to work with specific model, includes all other model specific drivers, and pack them into a "All-in-One" installation package.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
@Me gusta l920..haha!..that's to fast. There aren't any official announcement yet from Nokia specialy from MS.

Just leave it to this Nobles do the job. For the rest of us..do the reading and firing them questions. Any updates on battery life performance?

kannanap

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
whether flashing this new fw will change my product code?............if the product code is changed can i restore to default product code?

cornz

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see a full size 5+mpixel image from a small smartphone sensor that doesn't show that in full resolution.

I think people are really beginning to get too picky over a cell phone camera.

This is not a full frame SLR folks.

No. but the N8 didnt have this issue and in my opinion, the N8 camera is better than the 920!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb