Ativ S question about microsd

spectre111

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking at getting an Ativ S because of he microsd slot. Qhat I was wondering is, if I put a microsd card in it and then put some music and videos on the phone, does the microsd storage combine with the internal storage? If I have music on the internal storage and music on the microsd will it all be in the music app, does it work that seamlessly?

bsetno

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes - got a 64GB card for mine today. You just get a little symbol by each track to indicate it's stored on the SD card.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
How does it work with apps? Can you install apps onto the add-in sdxc card and run them from there or does it require to be on the internal storage? For anyone who has one...How is the speed of access (realtime not benchmarks) when using the 64GB card?

pdixon0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi

You can't install apps on the SD card unfortunately, but you can save music, videos and photos to be viewed in the phone.

No speed issues to report, remember, the 1st gen WP7 devices (HTC HD7 for example) actually just had SD cards for their main system memory and they were quick enough to record 720p video seamlessly. The SD card in your ATIV S will be slower than system RAM, but as no apps get installed there you'd never notice.

One thing I will say though, it's far quicker copying large amounts of data directly to the card via a reader in your PC than via the phones USB...

I hope that helps? :)

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I like installing apps on my card with my EVO3D. I don't have any access issues. I was hoping WP8 allowed the same. I guess I will have to go with the 32GB model.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I know that a lot of manufacturers state the class 4 guarantee. That is only due to being the highest that they tested. The Sandisk 64GB microSDXC card is a class 10 so that is what I'm looking at getting. Was it the same card that gave you freezes? Did you order a retail one or a "bulk" item card for cheaper cost? I have found that freezes is common with questionable cards. Please share the link you used so others can avoid the same results.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 32gb Samsung class10 card that I purchased to my HTC 7 pro. It was such a good card that I took it back out before I sold that phone. Card works great in my Ativ now.

Nomadicphone

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a 64GB Sandisk that I had in my S3 previously, I get freezing in the default Microsoft music player, not sure if that is the card or the software or both...

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
It is the card. I had all sort of problems with my Cat10 card. I recommend that you simply buy a 32Gb Cat4 and try that. If it works well, why spend more trying to make something work that Samsung will not guarantee on all Ativ S.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32 Gbyte Transcend TS32GUSDU ?SDHC Class 10 UHS 1 card installed and it seems to work well.

As to storing apps on the card, you can use this procedure: How do I install apps from an SD card?.
It allows you to store XAP files on the memory card and save on storing setup distributions. When you install or upgrade apps, their XAP files (for every install update or fresh) are copied to the phone's memory storage. When you do a manual install and store XAP files on a SD card, they don't get copied to the phone's memory and are kept on the SD card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss