920 now or wait for the next model?

Grant Butler

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a phone upgrade coming up and wondering if it is wise to get a 920 now or if Nokia will be announcing something new any time soon? I don't wanna get locked into a 2 year contract for a new phone to be announced in a couple months.

Thanx.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was debating the same thing and since they didn't say anything in MWC I just went for it and now own a beautiful L920. Got it for free since Bank of America was running a $100 cash back deal when signing a new AT&T contract.

If Nokia announces something exciting in the next few months I'll just sell my phone and buy a new one out of contract.

Grant Butler

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if I was on Android or IOS but following Windows Phone before they just ditched all the phones before it and didn't bother putting Windows 8 on them. I might wait to see what the Galaxy S4 is going to be like, I moved from IOS to Android and loved it because I could finally have my freedom. However Windows Phone has suddenly made a cosmetic comeback so I thought I'd switch over again because I love the open nature of Windows and Android is too Java based for me.

I just don't want to get stuck with a dated handset on a dated software version for the next 2 years if Nokia announce a new model. I wish they would understand Networks have contracts and update every 2 years and not every year :\

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
it's impossible to stay on top of nokia lumias, they come up with a new one right after the last one. if you like nl920 go for it.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't mind if I was on Android or IOS but following Windows Phone before they just ditched all the phones before it and didn't bother putting Windows 8 on them. I might wait to see what the Galaxy S4 is going to be like, I moved from IOS to Android and loved it because I could finally have my freedom. However Windows Phone has suddenly made a cosmetic comeback so I thought I'd switch over again because I love the open nature of Windows and Android is too Java based for me.

I just don't want to get stuck with a dated handset on a dated software version for the next 2 years if Nokia announce a new model. I wish they would understand Networks have contracts and update every 2 years and not every year :\

Android phones are left behind more often than WPs. The Lumia 900 was a special case since Nokia needed to get a phone out and it was near the end of the WP7 cycle. The Lumia 920 came out on time with WP8 and should enjoy a much longer life. I do expect a new model at the end of the year but the 920 should not be completely old and outdated in 2 years. Get it, you'll love it.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If you always wait for the next model you'll wait forever, because there'll always be a next model (of anything). You're gonna have to take the plunge sometime if you want something at all. Maybe buy the phone outright and go SIM only like I did. That way you can market your phone for another whenever you want. Just my thought.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you're certain you want to go with Windows Phone might as well take the plunge now. If you wait for the Next Big Thing you're going to be waiting forever because something is always around the corner. However, if it's that important to you, then be prepared to wait until November or December. Even with an announcement in the next few months it wont be until the end of the year before it hits the market.

There are reports Nokia that is working on an aluminum 920 successor. Additionally, indications are the next big update from Microsoft wont come until the end of the year until the absolute earliest, 2014 being more likely. I'm assuming that the next phone will still be running WP8 and will be upgradable. So I'd expect the same from current phones. With that, you're basically waiting on hardware updates. Internals are almost definitely going to feature an incremental update. A hardware jump to Samsung Galaxy S4 levels is highly unlikely. As for the shell, I don't think the switch to aluminum is all that big a deal. Might be nice, but not essential. All in all, I don't think it's worth the 9+ month wait.

Three months from an actual release is one thing, three months from a possible announcement is meaningless.

Grant Butler

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a metal body, I like plastic so I don't have to have a stupid case. People go on about the iPhones but all that happens is people put them in an ugly case because they're glass and metal... like the worst materials ever for a phone. I've had a Nokia 808 without a case for ages now and it hasn't had one mark but my iPhone 4 was fooked by the end of my contract lol. I had a Galaxy S2 for a year inbetween and again plastic showing what it was worth because that was fine without a cover too...

I dunno though the Nokia has an Adreno 225 which makes me worried because it's an old chip now. It basically means no modern 3D games for WIndows Phone. Every other phone owns the 920 when it comes to specs...

Hard choice though to lock yourself into a 2 year contract, I might just wait until the end of the year and hopefully Nokia will have made the jump to a more powerful handset.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Its hard to say, since they didn't announce anything 'Big' at MWC. I wish they would come up with a thinner, lighter Lumia "920", that supports microSD. Dont need much higher cpu or memory right now. Screen size is just around right, too.

B_RAD89

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just go for the 920, Nokia probably wont release the "EOS"/New Lumia model until later this year and even so it shouldnt be so advanced that the 920 becomes obsolete. Nokia provides the best support for their phones and will continue to do that so you should just go ahead and get it. Like someone above me said, if you always wait for the next best thing youll be waiting forever.

Grant Butler

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm learning c# on Windows Phone so it would be useful to have the actual handset. I like it as an actual developer platform over Android or IOS, it's much more user friendly, I still don't understand why it hasn't gotten the support. I mean the bigger companies have enough reason to want to support it as it is Microsoft, where as smaller developers should love it as it is much easier to learn on, so it must be easy to develop on.

g_wells04

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
coming from a former android addict, go ahead and get it, I learned back in those days that its easier to go ahead and get what's available to you now, because those(android) phones have a new model every month with barely any difference.(I had 5 lines for one person just for a new phones) I had my htc arrive since day 1 and was happy and then got my lumia 920 day 1 also. I switched because with android it was all about specs on the newer phones (mostly to keep up with inconsistent OS updates), atleast with windows phone, its more about user experience so there is no real need to wait for the next model, everything is supposed to work the same regardless. So get the lumia 920 now and enjoy it until its your time to upgrade

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're certain you want to go with Windows Phone might as well take the plunge now. If you wait for the Next Big Thing you're going to be waiting forever because something is always around the corner. Three months from an actual release is one thing, three months from a possible announcement is meaningless.

My sentiments exactly. I say go for it. It's a great phone, and the software is stunning.

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a metal body, I like plastic so I don't have to have a stupid case. People go on about the iPhones but all that happens is people put them in an ugly case because they're glass and metal... like the worst materials ever for a phone. I've had a Nokia 808 without a case for ages now and it hasn't had one mark but my iPhone 4 was fooked by the end of my contract lol. I had a Galaxy S2 for a year inbetween and again plastic showing what it was worth because that was fine without a cover too...

I dunno though the Nokia has an Adreno 225 which makes me worried because it's an old chip now. It basically means no modern 3D games for WIndows Phone. Every other phone owns the 920 when it comes to specs...

Hard choice though to lock yourself into a 2 year contract, I might just wait until the end of the year and hopefully Nokia will have made the jump to a more powerful handset.

If you really badly want the BEST quality games, and want a ton of them. Dont get the 920. Just sayin'. I had a G Note and got the 920 two days back, very well aware that the GS4 is coming on the 14th. And i couldnt have been happier, though the store doesnt have the big titles like android and iOS. I dont regret my decision at all, because i did my research and was aware of the entire WP8 annoyances as well as advantages, and for me the advantages were far more.

It boils down to you in the end. If you really feel like getting the 920, you'd get one now, and nothing else would matter.

Also what someone up said is very true. Even if Nokia does release the new WP8 flagship in 3 months time, its still gonna take 3 more months to launch everywhere. So around 6 months of a wait. And the current generation of WP8 phones will be upgradable to whatever comes next. And WP is gonna push small updates this year and a major one by the end of the year or the start of the next year.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It's march so I would suggest to get it now. Enjoy it for about 9-11 months, then upgrade if u want. If not you'll be waiting for 9 months for a brand new phone that you may or may not like.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, if you're that concerned about gaming you might as well get an iPhone 5. The hardware is good, iOS gets the best optimized games and the library of great games is massive. I can vouch from experience that my iPad 2 still runs anything I've tried incredibly well. And every week there's a deluge of new, legitimately good games.

Most Android phones out there are running hardware identical to ours. The problem is that the Adreno 225 is was closer to end-of-life when the Lumia 920 hit the market. Unless you got the Chinese-only 920T. So Android phones are already moving on, and the iPhone has always been ahead of the curve, particularly with their GPU.

But to be honest, the improvements are very incremental. It's the same thing that happens in the PC world. A marginal improvement sees a lot of fanfare but the only way to experience real gains is to go absolute top of the line. We'd see greater benefits from better optimization, but good luck with that when we're always at the end of the development chain.

I think Windows Phone is a better platform, and worth the trade off, but you can't deny reality.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Now is the time. It's gotten a couple of updates under its belt. The next device is months away and then another couple of months for updates to fix its problems.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought iPhone 4 a week after iPhone 4s was announced and a month before it become available in my country. At the time my iPhone 3g needed replacement so I did. To answer your question, I think if you want to buy NL920 then buy it now because waiting will never end. You can always sell it and use that money to buy another one off contract. Don't be a prisoner of your phone contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos