Lumia 920 from BUILD is not under warranty?!?!?!?!

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the developers phone from BUILD. It stopped working the first week of January. At the time, they accepted the phone under warranty. However, EIGHT WEEKS LATER, I still don't have a replacement, and they are now telling me that all developer phones that were received at BUILD ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

Has anyone heard the same thing?

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It should be under warranty. You may have needed to register it though. I have a coworker who had to get his replaced, but yes, it took months.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I did register it on their website and it did indeed state that it is under warranty. They even supplied me with the pre-paid return label to ship it back to them. They gave me the run around for the last 8 weeks, and now are telling me that they accepted the phone in error and that developer phones are in fact not covered under warranty. However, they are willing to send me a 920 locked to ATT that will also not be covered under warranty. This is a usless resolution because I'm on t-mobile.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Sending an email to Stephen Elop did in fact do the trick. Just received word that my case has been escalated and will be resolved immediately. Will keep you posted.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Dude, seriously? I thought these phones were given away free. If that's the case, you can't really complain about a warranty. If I'm wrong, and you paid for it, then my bad. I won a HTC Titan when they first came out on Twitter. If it broke/didn't work..then no loss on me. I just don't understand.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, "free" after a $2000 registration fee. Even if it's considered "free", giving away a free phone that breaks beyond repair a month later, and supposedly not under warranty so it's unreplaceable, is pretty darn crappy! If you looked on eBay days after BUILD (and even now) most BUILD attendees sold their phone. Should these people be screwed out of a warranty because the seller got it for free?

Last edited:

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Free or not, the darn phone should work! I don't buy the "you didn't buy it" rationale. If you got a product as a gift, are you still not entitled to a warranty even though YOU didn't buy it?

The manufacturer should stand behind their product irrespective of how owner obtained the product.

That's kinda like saying if you're at COSTCO or SAM'S CLUB chomping away at their free samples, you can’t complain if it makes you sick since you got it for free!

Last edited:

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The phone was a gift to registrants, yes, but was an unexpected bonus... It was not "part" of the registration fee. Therefore, it was free.

To be clear, you are upset that a phone you got for free, is not going to be replaced for free... Which they are in fact willing to do... But that does not satisfy you because the replacement is locked to the contracted exclusive carrier for that phone...

Have I interpreted anything incorrectly here?

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Not only am I unhappy with the fact that they are replacing an unlocked phone with a locked phone on a carrier that I don't use, I am most upset with the fact that when I registered the phone, the online registaration process stated that it was under warranty. They accepted the repair under warranty and when they decided that the phone couldn't be repaired, they said it would be replaced with no problem (just as other people in this thread have attested has happened to them). Now 8 weeks later, I'm being told that the phone is in fact NOT under warranty; so it will not be replaced with an identical (in terms of features) phone, and the locked ATT phone is the best they can do. NOT!

I still fail to see the logic in thinking that FREE=S.O.L. if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon