Rear Camera Lens - Gorilla Glass 2 as well?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does our Lumia 920 rear camera lens is protected by Gorilla Glass 2 as well? Because it seems that most of the Body Shield that I could find, there's only one that comes with the Rear Camera Lens protector. Martin Fields. However it does not cover the whole rear body.
And I still couldn't find the one that protects the whole body, including the rear camera lens. Most of them that cover the whole body don't have the protection for the lens, only the protection for the Nokia & Carl Zeiss metal surrounding the lens.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I remember reading it is some sort of crystal??? Somebody had cracked theirs and was asking same question. Its not Gorilla Glass though and will scratch. I don't think you will find a case that has a cover over lens. I've had smart phones for 5yrs and never scratched or broke camera lens. Are you really that rough with your phone?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In most cases like 99.999999999% of the time I would think that you would have to drop the phone squarely on the lens to break it. But the weighted for such instances that it will almost never land like that if its dropped. My personal thoughts.

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 920 for a while now, and the screen is scratched (not immensely, but it's noticeable depending on the angle), however, the camera lens is not scratched, despite there being many scratches on the back of the phone (once again, only noticeable at a certain angle). I'm inclined to believe that the camera lens is made out of sapphire crystal. I think it's what most cell phone manufacturers use for lenses nowadays. Gorilla Glass 1,2, or 3 aren't resistant enough to insure a scratch-free lens, which is much more important than a scratch free screen. Small quantities of sapphire crystal also remain affordable.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think I remember reading it is some sort of crystal??? Somebody had cracked theirs and was asking same question. Its not Gorilla Glass though and will scratch. I don't think you will find a case that has a cover over lens. I've had smart phones for 5yrs and never scratched or broke camera lens. Are you really that rough with your phone?

I'm not rough with my gadget. I treat them like how I would treat my loved one :winktongue: Hahaha..
I'm just concerned that if I wipe the lens, I would scratch it. And I think it's kinda hard to apply a protector on the camera lens. Maybe the crystal that you mentioned is a type of mineral that is used on a watches that have scratch resistant glass (Not Sapphire crystal, Sapphire would be expensive)

Havpower

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
i've no idea about the glass substrate, but the coating of lens cover was damaged...
the left part coating was erased and a clear boundary in middle

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
gorilla glass on a small surface as a lens would be somewhat pointless. It's job is not that it's scratch resistent as proven by many people with scratches on their 920 screens. Whilst yes it's harder to scratch that is only a by product of the fact gorilla glass is tougher. The purpose of this is so it's more shatter resistent and when it does shatter, it doesnt shard. even cheap glass over a 1cm diameter would have a hard job shattering as it's so dense for it's surface area so using it for the lens would not achieve much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro