Two years later , Elops strategy panning out.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as Elop's plan.. all I can see at this point is that without Nokia, WP's market share will be around 1% .. and I am not sure how Microsoft would have made the other OEMs concentrate on WP enough to bring that up in the same time Nokia is doing so right now.

HTC and Samsung are both concentrated on android, Sony and LG are not interested, and then imagine Nokia doing their own thing at the same time.. it might have been andro (I wouldn't even touch their phones if that was the case), or whatever, but they will be a strong competitor against WP... after all, they were the ones who kept Windows Mobile at bay in late 90s early 00s, and they spent billions doing it..

Here is a good article about it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/11/nokia_microsoft_history/

One of the major reasons for buying Symbian was to keep Microsoft and their OEMs away... but then Apple and Google came along and they were caught off guard. The Symbian project did work tho, its was a huge commercial success (which I doubt WP can replicate), and it managed to keep Microsoft's market share very low.

Its all a bit ironic.. isn't it..

Umm EOS most probably will not be a phone at all(for reasons mentioned here : Why Nokia 808 had to use Symbian... ) still should rock digital camera world if it's true that it will have 41 MP sensor combined with moving optics(=real zoom). But market for such devices is not huge, Galaxy Camera and Nikon S800c are not doing well.
The whole point of the Phase 1 system is to get rid of the need for movable optics, they are not ideal for mobile phones. They take too much room, leaving less space for a bigger sensor, they are heavy, they break.. phones are supposed to be durable.

Nokia tried the moving lens approach with the N93/N93i a long, long time ago and decided that this is not the way.

As far as the software required to support the system, yes.. Symbian would be easier due to its modular nature, and it being an real-time OS, but that doesn't mean that they can't change the way the system work (get rid of the extra DSP?) and make it work on Windows NT. I am sure that there are ways to do it.. its obviously not easy since its been couple of years now.. but I am sure that they will get it out.

They are lucky because that system is so far ahead of its time, that they can afford to be slow and still be ahead when they finally get it to WP..

Last edited:

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
As far as Elop's plan.. all I can see at this point is that without Nokia, WP's market share will be around 1% .. and I am not sure how Microsoft would have made the other OEMs concentrate on WP enough to bring that up in the same time Nokia is doing so right now.

I completely understand it's a helluva deal for MS, I just can't see what has Nokia got positive here going WP exclusive in comparison with multiOS portfolio. They could do Symbian/Android/Meego/WP without any problems and see what works out the best. That way they would retain >90% of their customers and probably get some more who would like to try Nokia with Android.

The whole point of the Phase 1 system is to get rid of the need for movable optics, they are not ideal for mobile phones. They take too much room, leaving less space for a bigger sensor, they are heavy, they break.. phones are supposed to be durable.

yeah that's why I pointed out it's probably going to be some kind of smartcamera like Samsung Galaxy, Nokia has teased a huge zoomo capabilities in their promotive video so I guess they will combine optical + cropping zoom

Nokia tried the moving lens approach with the N93/N93i a long, long time ago and decided that this is not the way.

Yeah, such "phone" would sell in maaybe 10000 pcs. which would not cover even production&transport costs let alone R&D and marketing. N93i didn't sell well even when Symbian held majority of the market share and WP now has barely 3%...

As far as the software required to support the system, yes.. Symbian would be easier due to its modular nature, and it being an real-time OS, but that doesn't mean that they can't change the way the system work (get rid of the extra DSP?) and make it work on Windows NT. I am sure that there are ways to do it.. its obviously not easy since its been couple of years now.. but I am sure that they will get it out.

They are lucky because that system is so far ahead of its time, that they can afford to be slow and still be ahead when they finally get it to WP..

I have yet to see the viable approach here.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What I really do not understand, is why Nokia, now that they have a potential flagship superstar phone like the L920, were not capable to deliver sufficient numbers of devices to the field to fulfil demand. It took them months from announcement to making it widely available, and even now, you can't get it from any random dealer like Samsungs or all other brands. Even Blackberry were able to make their new device available relatively widely, just a few weeks after announcement. What's going on with Nokia? Too many factories closed?

They were in the middle of changing their whole manufacturing process. Moved everything to China, closed everything in Finland. This move was irrational for several reasons:

1. Other companies are pulling out of China because the Chinese companies aren't capable of producing high-quality items. For that, you need innovative and happy employees. Still, Nokia decided to off-shore everything to China.

2. They did so at a time when they knew they'd have to deliver a large number of Lumias in order to survive. Moving production to another country involves a reorganization of the supply chain. That takes years in the best case. Nokia ended up with a screwed-up production process with problems in the supply-chain. That's no surprise really as it initially happens to many companies that decide to off-shore their production.

To make it short: you don't move your production to China half a year before the most important product launch of your company's history. Nokia paid the price - they ended up not meeting demand because their product wasn't available.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I am finding the speculation on Nokia's share price interesting (perhaps because I've got an order pending). I must say Nokias stocks appear to be good value. Its hard to see the price going much bellow its current levels (Sure it went bellow $2 last year but I think Nokia's proved some success with the L920 last year) but the potential is huge. Once the next Lumina flagship rumours start up the price will surely rise back to pre mwc levels. If Nokia has fixed its supply issues by then sales will naturally rise, if it has an amazing camera and looks stunning plus keeps with the innovation in the 920 Nokia could have a hit on its hands. They have strong R&D and are building a brand in Lumia and are pushing hard with marketing. This is a fast moving market always changing, so theres no reason Nokia can't do what Samsung has. It was only a year ago Nokia's stock price was over $5 and over $15 three years ago, and things weren't great then. If Nokia continues innovating as it has shown it has, $8-$10 seems reasonable but on the off chance they become a market leader like Samsung has become $30+ can't be ruled out.

gandhule

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I forget where I read this article in which elop said that mobile world is becoming a battle of ecosystem. Taking his remark into consideration, I think the mobile world now is on phase 1. Whoever have more mature ecosystem (read: app store) will lead the market. We are now looking at Apple and Google leading the pack because they had more extensive app lineup than any other competitor.

This is not going to stop. At some point, consumer will feel slightly bored by the smartphone experience and look for new one. That is why Apple and Google push new inventions like iWatch and Google Glass, to keep the consumer tied to the ecosystem. On this front, Microsoft actually has a winning recipe by having xbox and PC experience, which has been used by millions of people.

In the end, it will come down to the one who is able to provide better, seamless experience on home-mobile activity and entertainment, and that would be phase 2. It's a very sad reality that microsoft had just started the process on integrating their platform when they should have done it long before. I bet Elop saw this opportunity. Once MS done integrating their work-play software, device, and service, to their mobile OS, it will be hard not to be compelled by Windows Phone.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Wp8 and Nokia need to lauch their products world wide if they want to make any market share or money. After 5 month we got the first lumia 920 on Vodafone on Romania wich is the largest country in East Europe UE. Being not a rich country we would expect to see also cheaper models like 620, 520 etc... no sign of them. Also Microsoft launched 5 month ago Surface, I have a small computer shop selling PC and I am a dealer for MS software. I have yet to see a tablet running Windows 8, no matter RT or Pro. Really poor way to sell hardware or software, that's why windows 8 in all forms didn't get traction. Look at Samsung S4, will be released on 133 countries, 165 carriers on the same time, for sure will sell 20 mil phone in 2 weeks, bravo to them.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Look at Samsung S4, will be released on 133 countries, 165 carriers on the same time, for sure will sell 20 mil phone in 2 weeks, bravo to them.
It seems like Samsung has a great mass production line, and they can pump out lots of units very quickly. Also, they make a lot of the components themselves, which helps a lot as well.. that is why they are so competitive when it comes to pricing. All in all Samsung are in a very good position, better than anyone else, and they are taking full advantage of it.. as they should.

Microsoft and Nokia seem to be concentrated on the US market for now.. that is their priority no.1, and.. there are plenty of 920s around.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Huge mistake, US is dominated by Apple and Android, big battle ahead. few who invested money in dozens of apps will switch to buy those app again. Europe is a Windows zone, Apple is absent, Linux also, maybe servers. So it is ahuge oportunity for business for WP8 to be connected with windows servers, office, email, absolutely everyone uses outlook, no matter a windows or Linux mail server.

Cosmin Reti

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I really never understood microsft regarding phones. they have the ultimate power for business, 95% of the world uses Windows and Ms Office, so why in the world WP8 is not taking the business sector by the storm. Who doesn't want to have the same word, excel, powerpoint, outlook, note experience perfectly connected with each computer he owns, with his colegues at work etc... Microsoft never advertise this, I was really in shock when windows 8 launched for pc, tablet and phone there was no review mentioning the great benefit of office integrated applications throughout all devices, everybody mention the camera of Lumia 920, the slick design of htc 8x, maps, bla bla bla. People in this world go to work, and they use Ms Office all the time, this is the most important selling point of this phone, I don't give a s*** about instagram, etc....

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
yeah instead of marketing the strongest point they had to fake OIS video and rant about wireless charging gimmicks number of applications and what not

Devamps

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Huge mistake, US is dominated by Apple and Android, big battle ahead. few who invested money in dozens of apps will switch to buy those app again. Europe is a Windows zone, Apple is absent, Linux also, maybe servers. So it is ahuge oportunity for business for WP8 to be connected with windows servers, office, email, absolutely everyone uses outlook, no matter a windows or Linux mail server.
That's it

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

huge mistake where? lol.. Europe n USA is not the whole world. Asia have always been Nokia strenght.. and i am a IOS turn Andriod turn WP8 users.. basically i prefer WP8 too all of them.
IOS have been same for years.. its been updating its OS for like 6 years nothing impressive about it..
Andriod is full of spyware and google does not safe guard your details.. they sell it as and when needed.
WP8 is fresher of them both and safer to use and doesn't have malware as andriod does.

as for apps.. i buy tons of apps on Andriod n IOS but its not stopping me to buy on WP8 cos i feel its worth it.

just incase people think i am not IOS or Andriod user, I owned iphone 3/4/4S, galaxy note 1/note 2/ s3/ tab 7/ tab 2 7/ tab 10.1 and now L920 is my main device n L620 is my spare n Tab 2 7 is my media viewing device as it have a bigger screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo