*This* is why there is dust in your FFC (shame on you, Nokia!)

YouMeanNo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I too have the dust issue in the camera and the proximity sensor doesn't always work during a call.

What I don't understand is if the proximity issues isn't due to dust, how come blowing hard into that area fixes the problem (although temporarily)?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to not suffer from dust getting in the camera. However I did manage to find dust under my screen lodged between the glass and the digitizer. And to make matters worse its managed to move closer towards the middle of my screen. I've tried tapping and lightly banging it on its side in hopes it moves back outside the screen but no luck.

Very annoyed.. And not willing to unseal my screen just to get rid of the dust.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Excellent find. I noticed this issue on my launch 920 as well but so far a can of compressed air tends to clean it out. But this explains a lot. Hopefully Nokia comes up with a solution to fix this without us having to disassemble our own phones (aka allow us to swap units with new ones where this won't occur) I wonder if this is why the spot right above my eye piece is always smudged?

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Subsequent communication with Nokia has been fruitless. I started off contacting their support team via Twitter, who asked me to follow the repair process outlined online -- the one where you send in your phone for 2 weeks and (according to many of you) have Nokia just take a can of air and blow the dust out for you. I can't be without my phone that long, so that wasn't gonna work. I wrote to Matt Rothschild, who passed me to the Nokia Care Team, who then told me that the issue was not covered by warranty. I wrote to Stephen Elop, who has not responded or forwarded me along to anybody. So, I decided to fix the thing myself. Here's what I found.

Funny, I sent my phone in repair because of dust under my camera and suspected it went to the proximity sensor. They sent it back all fixed and works perfectly now. They even wrote a fixlog and report

Kordreng

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Also from Denmark and I also returned it for a repair having dust, proximity lens problems causing blackscreen during calls and hang ups as well as small metalic spot under the screen. I will receive my Lumia on monday.
If the problem continues with the proximity sensor I will demand a new device! For sure I wont wait another 2 weeks repair!

Here in Denmark, Nokia support advice you to return the phone for repair if you have dust in the FFC, they do repair it.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This is getting ridiculous. I honestly fail to see why people are happy to put up with this sort of thing happening to a phone as expensive as the 920. A lot of it boils down to the fact it is made by a mass production factory which prioritises order number over quality. Its not a real Nokia anyway. Its made in China. A complex device such as the 920 would no doubt be better made if they kept production in Finland, but obviously Nokia are prepared to sacrifice some of their reputation for quality hardware for bigger profits. I keep saying this. HTC are better at build quality phones and when problems do arise they are very quick to sort them out, on the production line.

lumia920winpho

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Any Suggestions on how to prevent the FFC Dust issue in the 920?
Regarding the FFC issue, Do cases help in preventing it? If so, which ones? Please share any other suggestions you have?
Thanks

DeZerT

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd say disassemble the phone and stick some blue tack or something in the gap. Honestly tho I think I'll wait for mine to get completely full of dust before I go through that kind of headache...

Why0Why

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After having my first 920 for about a month I started having the proximity sensor problem. I am pretty easy going but this drove me crazy! I would make a call and if the other party didn't pick up I couldn't hang up the phone. I also had to call work for an emergency and needed to dial an extension and I couldn't do it on my shiny new flagship phone. After this I went to AT&T and they took a can of air and blew it into the top of the screen which made it work for a day. I called in and they replaced it with a new one.

I have had this one for about 3 months and I haven't had any issues at all except about once a week the phone will start getting hot and the battery will completely drain in a matter of hours. The only fix I have found is just rebooting the phone and it seems to work.

sj55555

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this proximity sensor issue for about a month. At first, I resolved the issue by blowing along the top. Now, this trick no longer works. I've even taken the air compressor to it. I've gotten so frustrated that I removed the SIM and blew air down the slot. When I did this, I could actually feel the display try to lift out of the body of the phone. There's really little preventing outside particles from getting inside this phone.

TomR83

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia 920 is on its 2nd service now for the proximity sensor dust issue. Next time I will demand a refund and buy myself an iPhone or a Galaxy S IV. Making the so called #switch has nothing but brought me troubles and headaches. And that is just too poor for a $ 850 device w/o contract.

Mr37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am really sad to say this .... FFFFRRRUUUCCCKKKKK this Flagship Lumia 920. I can live with the dust under the camera but Proximity sensor has been pain in the butt. There are countless times where I had to enter extensions, card numbers, passwords but this piece of shyte won't let me do any of that. I sound so bitter but trust me this phone literally ruined a lot of my fine days.
Tried every solution and I don't see how can I fix the damn Proximity sensor :angry::angry::angry:

canadien666

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Same story here... On my 2nd 920 after 1st replaced by Nokia Care under warranty. Sent me a refurb. Can live w/o the FFC, but the proximity sensor?!?!?!? No dice, Nokia! About to send my refurb replacement unit back to Nokia Care as it's still under warranty, but WTF!!! Really lame and annoying... A flagship???

n900>n9>lumia920

anon(5680040)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
If the remarks of the OP were true, then all Lumia 920 would have dust, but this doesnt happen at all.
In fact there are some millions of phones out there, including mine, that have no dust.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If the remarks of the OP were true, then all Lumia 920 would have dust, but this doesnt happen at all.
In fact there are some millions of phones out there, including mine, that have no dust.

It's the same story with most/all phone issues on this board. There are millions of Lumias out there and we know of what 100 users on this forum (?) who have this issue? If even 10 times this number was out there who have no idea WPC exists, that makes it 1000 users. With 100 times the number, 10,000 faulty phones. But that becomes a tiny number on scale of millions.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A complex device such as the 920 would no doubt be better made if they kept production in Finland, but obviously Nokia are prepared to sacrifice some of their reputation for quality hardware for bigger profits. I keep saying this. HTC are better at build quality phones and when problems do arise they are very quick to sort them out, on the production line.

What's a real Nokia? Nokia is actually among the couple of companies with Samsung and LG that still do make their phones in their own factories. Nokia has been making phones in 9 factories around the globe for past 7 years. So nothing has changed there.

That Finnish factory was the last of any cell phone factory in West. It's true that Nokia was naturally seeking more profits, but also they have had no actually been making any profit for past 2 years before Q4. You got a ask why hasn't any of its competitors had factory in West for past 6 years.

I doubt anybody is happy with their phone with a defect, but also these forums are the place were you see all these complaints. You see just as much talk about 8X problems with fraction of the sales that Lumia 920 has done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo