This forum is kind of depressing

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Titan II and am lacking in the area of WP8 niftiness. Since the Lumia 920 is the current flagship WP8 phone, I wanted to check out the forums to see what people had to say about it. It looks like the entire front page is complaints about the phone not working for one reason or another. I know that people with issues generally speak the loudest, but wow. Is the phone buggy from the start or has it got to do with the recent updates? Is the 8x a safer bet?

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have not found one problem other then a lack of apps and some possible camera improvements via software. This is the best phone I have ever owned I even rate it better then any iPhone I've owned. Its got some software enhancements needed but for 99 bucks? Its the best deal I've ever received.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I went through a few 920s. Dust problems. I moved to the 8x and am very happy. Far fewer complaints on that forum, too.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, OP. I was just thinking the same thing. I'm glad that I didn't find this forum until well after I purchased my Lumia because I might have decided not to go through with the purchase. That would have been a mistake.

The Lumia 920 is not perfect by any means (not even close to it), but it's an excellent device.

No matter what anyone says, though, if you get one and end up having hardware/software issues or realize that key apps that you absolutely need in order to feel fulfilled (I kid) are missing then it'll probably become the worst device you've ever owned. Nobody can predict what your experience will be. I will say this: I have owned a lot of phones, and still have several (of different platforms/operating systems). The Lumia is, by far, my favourite device to use, warts and all.

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, lets think on this a bit....this is a forum for help with issues. So Im guessing it is like ALL forums Ive ever been on. It lists issues folks are trying to figure out or fix. Not many folks hang out if they dont have problems...so the majority of folks are those with an issue, or want to learn something new. But its likely mostly problems.

Dont know of a forum set up for telling us how great something is. Dont let these forum gripers get you down. Remember, for everyone of the complaints or broken phones...there are tens of thousands that are fine.

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes I agree. Most people who are satisfied won't post, most of my small issues or questions get solved by reading. Don't get discouraged by the complaints alot of people give good fix arounds for things. I haven't been on the forum long but love the forum and everything Nokia Lumia 920!!!

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, OP. I was just thinking the same thing. I'm glad that I didn't find this forum until well after I purchased my Lumia because I might have decided not to go through with the purchase. That would have been a mistake.

The Lumia 920 is not perfect by any means (not even close to it), but it's an excellent device.

No matter what anyone says, though, if you get one and end up having hardware/software issues or realize that key apps that you absolutely need in order to feel fulfilled (I kid) are missing then it'll probably become the worst device you've ever owned. Nobody can predict what your experience will be. I will say this: I have owned a lot of phones, and still have several (of different platforms/operating systems). The Lumia is, by far, my favourite device to use, warts and all.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect perfection. Phones are all kinds complicated and for any phone to be flawless would be a miracle (it would happen in place of someone finding the cure for cancer, so it better be one **** of a phone!). I had an iPhone 3s from work a few years ago, a Palm Pre, and now I have the Titan II. Each one has had its problems (my Palm Pre navigates itself and calls people in the middle of the night), but I like my Titan the best and can see past its flaws. I started looking toward the 920 because it seems like HTC forgot they made my phone after I bought it and I feel like the Nokia wouldn't do that to me. By the time my current contract expires Nokia will be releasing the Lumia 925,000,000, so I have some time to contemplate which phone to get.

Either way ill stick with my WP.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, lets think on this a bit....this is a forum for help with issues. So Im guessing it is like ALL forums Ive ever been on. It lists issues folks are trying to figure out or fix. Not many folks hang out if they dont have problems...so the majority of folks are those with an issue, or want to learn something new. But its likely mostly problems.

Dont know of a forum set up for telling us how great something is. Dont let these forum gripers get you down. Remember, for everyone of the complaints or broken phones...there are tens of thousands that are fine.
It's true that after the initial buzz most forums start to see more and more 'help me' and complaint threads, but this forum and another Lumia 920 forum seem to have far more of these types of threads than other forums that I visit. I've used the 'squeaky wheel' argument a bunch, as have others, but L920 forums seem to have a disproportionate number of squeaky wheels, lol.

It's really unfortunate because nowadays a lot of people come to the forums to research before buying.

I agree with your and Pepe's sentiments, though: don't let the forums throw you off if you're considering this phone. Do your research, get your hands on one, and make an informed decision.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Do your research, get your hands on one, and make an informed decision.

I agree...i would even say to visit a Microsoft store in your area if there is one, because they should have all of the current WP devices, and they should be able to answer any device questions or os questions better than a carrier salesman. My experience is that most of the carrier salesmen and women didn't know much about the WP platform. I even had to come back the next day to talk to the "windows" guy, because nobody knew anything about the phone...sad but true! Lol. So a Microsoft store should be very helpful in making an informed decision. :)

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What if people posted thread titles saying happy complaints? Or loving this depression? Haha. I'm only joking but yea my l920 is the best phone I've ever owned. Got mine on launch day and I'm still like yea this mine all mine! Lol. But I will say this, this site gets alot of traffic looking at WP. Its in my eyes opinion become the WP hub place of all info. But I can tell you this as well the people here are soooo friendly and willing to help given the chance. So half these threads titled as complaints are probably fixed. The other half are probably actual problems mixed with rants about instagram. In the end ya gotta love it! I know I do!

amoodie

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
If you go to any iPhone forum, you'd think that the phone has no battery life, and tons of problems. Going to a forum before you buy a device is wise, but it's obviously not the whole picture.

chiron09

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Forums are usually to discuss any issues that arise because other members can help. Most users have the same complaints so are just helping each other but it my opinion its one of the best phones ive owned (only wish it was Meego instead of Windows phone 8 but i can live with that)

anon(5355319)

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those silent Lumia 920 owners. Heck I don't even have a profile picture and I certainly do not need to post how I love this device. Yes I have had issues with the battery and overheating, but I have read suggestion here in the forum and now my phone is flawless, apart from the apps side of things but that will get better in the future.

Oh, I do post a lot in the "Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!" thread :)

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Lumia 620 now and really proud to have it on my hand. Everyone loves the case and when they see the Start Screen, they are so amazed. Well, WP8 is my favorite now. I can say it is stable (for my L620), fluid, fast, and got a lot of features. I love to take photos whenever I like, and Lumia got a lot of camera features. I have checked and re-checked again before I bought it, and Lumia 620 comes to be the best choice for all my needs: 5MP is enough for me + shiny flash, Office on the road, Music and Navigation, games (even there is still a lack of games in Store, but it's fine for me, I don't play game a lot), and the last but not least, the price. L620 is the most affordable WP8 Phone now (in Indonesia, because L520 isn't here yet).

I don't regret to buy a WP8, and it is truly nice. Once you use it, you will hardly leave it - that happens to me now! So if you see complaints around here, you can do some check and rechecks like what I did, and again, WP8 has a lot of choices now, not only Nokia, but also HTC and Samsung. Find the best fit with your needs (and wallet) then try one in Microsoft Store around you, and you will be amazed too.

PS. I never know how the look of Microsoft Store is, because there isn't any in Indonesia. I can only stick to 2 manufacturer: Nokia and HTC, and since I am a big ****** of Nokia, I definitely choose Nokia. =)

Juzz Tianz

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree...i would even say to visit a Microsoft store in your area if there is one, because they should have all of the current WP devices, and they should be able to answer any device questions or os questions better than a carrier salesman. My experience is that most of the carrier salesmen and women didn't know much about the WP platform. I even had to come back the next day to talk to the "windows" guy, because nobody knew anything about the phone...sad but true! Lol. So a Microsoft store should be very helpful in making an informed decision. :)

Even salesmen and women from the Nokia Store in my city, Medan - Indonesia (you can check it on Google Maps), they don't know about WP8 and Lumia really well. As I said before on my earlier post, I have do some check and recheck, and research about Lumias, and L620 comes to be my last choice. But when the first day they sell it on their store, they don't even know how to put the case off from L620. Well, I teach them how to put it off, and how to insert SIM Card and MicroSD (bcos I already see the manual book downloaded from Nokia.com, a week before I go to the Store). They just so embarrassed about it. Funny. They should have been trained to sell these new products, but things become the opposite, I teach them, not they teach me. Haha
So. for me it is so important to do research before you buy it.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
There is a Microsoft store at the mall near my house. I have never been inside but from what I can tell it follows the Apple store model (minus having a security line in front... for whatever reason they do that).

The problem with going to a store, holding the phone, asking the people there, and making an "informed decision" is that you only hear about how things SHOULD work. It is half of the picture. If the phone was working as designed, it should have the features and specs that they describe to me. I typically know all about the workings of the phone based on reviews and such, but those don't even tell me the whole story. You have to look around a few months after the release of the phone to see how people like it.

From what I gather, there are lot of people who like the phone, but the most vocal of them are people with problems. The issue is that some people don't own a Windows Phone and know very little about it. As someone stated, this is kind of the central hub for WP information and is likely to come up on any search. If people go in to the 920 forum and see a lot of problems, they may quickly be turned off.

Maybe I would suggest having a sub-forum for phone issues?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
We preordered two. No problems at all. Think I would lose a fine woman if I tried to take it away from her.
People come here to complain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss