This forum is kind of depressing

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect perfection. Phones are all kinds complicated and for any phone to be flawless would be a miracle (it would happen in place of someone finding the cure for cancer, so it better be one **** of a phone!). I had an iPhone 3s from work a few years ago, a Palm Pre, and now I have the Titan II. Each one has had its problems (my Palm Pre navigates itself and calls people in the middle of the night), but I like my Titan the best and can see past its flaws. I started looking toward the 920 because it seems like HTC forgot they made my phone after I bought it and I feel like the Nokia wouldn't do that to me. By the time my current contract expires Nokia will be releasing the Lumia 925,000,000, so I have some time to contemplate which phone to get.Either way ill stick with my WP.
I don't think Nokia would forget about you, however if MS makes a WP Surface, and start competing with Nokia, things could go south. However, i don't think that's going to happen and I am buying a Nokia Lumia 920 hopefully tomorrow.

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Was playing with one today, the day my lumia 900 dies I'll be purchasing one. Even after reading peoples complaints, the build quality is undoubtable when experience it in store, so hopefully its only the software that's goes south, which can be fixed later on.

Alex Magik

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
i got a lumia 920, and i just love it... all the apps i need for work are there, lync can't login, but that is the only issue i've, the rest, a bit of quirks here and there but nothing wrong or that a small update could fix.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Titan II and am lacking in the area of WP8 niftiness. Since the Lumia 920 is the current flagship WP8 phone, I wanted to check out the forums to see what people had to say about it. It looks like the entire front page is complaints about the phone not working for one reason or another. I know that people with issues generally speak the loudest, but wow. Is the phone buggy from the start or has it got to do with the recent updates? Is the 8x a safer bet?

I think in general people love their Lumia 920, me included, but are extremely dissapointed with the poor build/design quality in certain areas:

1) Creaking and clicking makes it feel cheap
2) Dust in camera/proximity sensor due to obvious design failures
3) General and ongoing proximity sensor failure
4) Extremely scratchable screen and body

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
These dust problems baffle me. I. Might be the lucky one but I've found no trouble at all.

I'd say your just not as picky as the rest of us. I can live with my phone creaking and clicking but I fell I shouldn't have to with the premium price I paid for it. As much as I despise apple, their build quality is rock solid. Moving from an iPhone 4 that was so solid to a Lumia 920 which looks and feels just as high quality but then lets out a high pitched "samsung-esque" body squeal is extremely disheartening.

My wife and I are on our 5th and 6th lumia 920 now and still have creaking and clicking. Nokia still maintains its a defect but I think its just design and manufacturing tolerance. They can't fix it now.

Pepe D Vegas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Ewwwww that's not good at all!! I might not be as picky hehe I've just has so many iPhones and adroids to be bored I guess windows 8 is fresher and my honeymoon period ain't over. I could also be lucky and have gotten a non defective one that can happen too hehe

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd say your just not as picky as the rest of us. I can live with my phone creaking and clicking but I fell I shouldn't have to with the premium price I paid for it. As much as I despise apple, their build quality is rock solid. Moving from an iPhone 4 that was so solid to a Lumia 920 which looks and feels just as high quality but then lets out a high pitched "samsung-esque" body squeal is extremely disheartening.

My wife and I are on our 5th and 6th lumia 920 now and still have creaking and clicking. Nokia still maintains its a defect but I think its just design and manufacturing tolerance. They can't fix it now.

Some people are just way to picky with their phones...

You say your wife and you are on your 5th and 6th lumias... I'm guessing that's respectively... That's eleven lumias total...

You're telling me that out of 11 phones.. ALL of them are creaking and clicking? Well stop squeezing the bloody thing. Obviously if you squeeze it up roughly it will creak and click.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think in general people love their Lumia 920, me included, but are extremely dissapointed with the poor build/design quality in certain areas:

1) Creaking and clicking makes it feel cheap
2) Dust in camera/proximity sensor due to obvious design failures
3) General and ongoing proximity sensor failure
4) Extremely scratchable screen and body

I can not agree with that after over 3 months use .... it is still the same phone, never changed or repaired ... but of course, some people has troubles with their phone and some people are just super picky ... well, in any case, I am very happy with my red Lumia 920 ...

Raghu Gundlapalli

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i have this phone, it is great, my fist one had issues with shutting down, did a warranty exchange, current phone is great, except for few bugs/issues like
1) dust accumulating in front facing camera, i don't use front facing camera much.
2) some issues with Bluetooth, if i connect a Bluetooth headset, then connect headset with audio jack, songs play fine on head set but when i switch from audio jack to Bluetooth (after disconnecting audio jack) the song plays fine on phone but cant hear on my Bluetooth headset.
3) Camera is great for videos, good pictures in dark, OK pictures in daylight, especially portraits.
4) great GPS, option to download maps is awesome feature, can use GPS when there is no signal.
5) awesome screen, great battery life too, depending on how you use it.
6) not great in managing background applications, i did set my FB to run in background but it doesn't, it says next time when i use this app this should run in the back ground, i tried to start the app go back & see the settings it is not running.

I have not found one problem other then a lack of apps and some possible camera improvements via software. This is the best phone I have ever owned I even rate it better then any iPhone I've owned. Its got some software enhancements needed but for 99 bucks? Its the best deal I've ever received.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't even had the dust problems. or the battery problems. My 920 has frozen twice, easily reset with the down volume/lock button combination (once I was able to find out how to do it...). Sometimes the live tiles don't update for a while and I do restart the phone then and it fixes it.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally, and I don't care what anyone says, I maintain the flagship WP8 at the moment is the 8X. Despite is gorgeous design and great specs, it seams to be the most solid phone both software and hardware wise. Some people are complaining about the matt finish coming off but it seams HTC have solved that in there recent hardware revisions. Its a better quality device that the 920, feels it too. The Lumia 920 like all Nokias now are not proper Nokias. They are made in China by foxconn, where how many they can make in a day prioritises the quality of each one they make. Such a shame.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
LOL when you sell far less windows phones like htc has and your forum only has 14,000 posts vs the lumias sales and 74,000 posts I would expect the 8x to have fewer complaints....lol fewer people are using an 8x :D
Let me clarify then: the ratio of complaint threads to non-complaint threads is lower for the 8x. And to show how smart I am, I add a "lol".

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've always been a fan of HTC, having previously owned the Aria. I favor their version of Android over what most others have done. However, software support beyond the core customization is weak. They tend to not offer apps of substance and more importantly, they're terrible with long term support. Look at the complaints people have had about the One X being stuck at Android 4.0 for so long. Also, the fact that Sense 5 seems to take so much like Windows Phone rubs me the wrong way. But without question, the 8X is a nice phone.

As for the Lumia 920, I think some of it's problems have been overblown. My own experience, reinforced by what others have said, is that battery life improves dramatically with time. It's certainly been the case and at this point I'm getting better battery life than my friend's 8X. The dust on the front camera is more of an issue because it's something that will only get worse with time. But as I see it, while certainly not desirable, it's luck of the draw. HTC could have just as easily have had a similar design or manufacturing defect.

The flip side here is that Nokia is providing extensive support on the software side. I've been incredibly impressed by everything they've done. They seem committed on a level few can match. They're going a long way to earn my loyalty and trust. But at the end of the day you can't really go wrong with either company.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They are made in China by foxconn, where how many they can make in a day prioritises the quality of each one they make. Such a shame.

Ehmm.... you playing an early April fools joke?

The 920's for North America are produced in Mexico. Most others are produced in Beijing, China. Production of some of Nokia's earliest Lumias were outsourced (Nokia was in the process of restructuring and retooling), but that is completely different today. Almost all production occurs inhouse in Nokia's own factories.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
This phone has been nothing but a disappointment for me, and I really had great expectations for Nokia and WP. Starting with the bumbling launch to the totally broken live tiles and lock screens. I never would've believed they would drop the ball like this knowing that they were already so far behind in the smart phone race.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll post. I'm satisfied and love my 920!

Still hoping some apps get here soon, Pandora being my main want for myself and Instagram for others.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Ehmm.... you playing an early April fools joke?

The 920's for North America are produced in Mexico. Most others are produced in Beijing, China. Production of some of Nokia's earliest Lumias were outsourced (Nokia was in the process of restructuring and retooling), but that is completely different today. Almost all production occurs inhouse in Nokia's own factories.

The early 800's where made in Finland, the 900 was made in South Korea, the 920 is made by foxconn, in China. The 800 is now made by foxconn, in CHINA. Look it up before you start accusing me of being wrong. And it is a shame. Imagine the anger and frustration among those Finish workers getting laid off Nokia bosses telling them that their jobs have been outsourced. Imagine the frustration that Finland had with Nokia. They don't make any of them in Finland now

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon