How Quickly Will 8x Fill Up?

Ascriab

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I am debating between the 8x and the Lumia 820 for my first Windows Phone. I was wondering if you guys could give me a picture of how quickly those 8GB or 16GB are going to fill up for the 8x. I am not the sort of person to carry around a bunch of music / pictures, and I make use of streaming services a lot for my media consumption. So figure 3GB will be used for that sort of thing, max. How much usable space would I get, minus space for the OS and 3GB of music? Can I just forget about playing big games like Spectral Souls or Asphalt? Thanks!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If you stream a lot of your music, I have 14hrs or so on my 8X @ 1.4g, My name is Juan, and I'm an Audiocloud, the best Soundcloud app in existence, aholic..

Depending on the apps you have, I've 130+, using 5gb, some that I really don't use.

Also I just found a way to download most media content to my phone on my unlimited Tmo data plan, then get all this stuff to my PC over local WiFi.

All said. I have 2g of free space. I don't think you'll have any issues whatsoever..

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
A few games, a few apps. And 6 gig will be filled. Believe me. Better buy 8x, or 920, but not 820 with 8gb internal memory.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone is full...I hate this phone because of the lack of space. I don't even have any music on it. I own about 35 apps and about 28 of them are games, I have to chose what games I have installed because I keep running out of space. I'm one if I pay for an app, I should have it on my phone to use it when ever I want and the 8X does not allow this for me.

I love the 8X but, the moment a High end model from Nokia, HTC or Microsoft is released with 32-64gb AND a MICROSDXC slot, this 8X will be up for sale. It bothers me that much...

If you can live with the SPACE limits, it's a really nice phone, slim, fast and nice display...The 820/822's display is not 720p...so that would not be an option for me.

If your on AT&T skip over the 8X and the 820, go right for the 920, the 32gb is a nice amount of space for a phone, HTC was dumb to make "what they claim" a high end phone with only 16gb of space.

shpepin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8gb. I don't play games on my phone but I have a bunch of music and have just over 2gb left. What's really concerning is the 'other' taking up so much space wtf is that?!

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
At the moment I make use of 36 apps, plus have a fair amount of music and photos, and still have north of 4GBs free.
wp_ss_20130311_0001.png
Personally, I haven't had issues with storage on this phone or when I was using a RAZR previously. I'd note that 8GBs would be tight though, 16GBs is a better choice since it'll allow you to install a number of apps, take some photos, plus have a moderate music library. If you're also using a Windows 8 desktop, there's the eventual possibility that XBOX Cloud Music will be better and you can even stream your own collection, if it's fairly large, through the internet, instead of having to have it on your device.

8X is a fantastic choice. If you're on Verizon, remember that you get wireless charging as well, which is great. :)

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Have a 16GB 8X, one problem is storage for me. I produce local music, so it's not an option to have it in the cloud, I need the BEST possible playback I can get to help promote and be prepared if I wanna play my music or another artist at a club/show. My 8X has don't all that, but I sacrificed in the game and app department because of it. I'm at max capacity (can't install anything)

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
wp_ss_20130312_0001.jpg

For me I have 174 songs on my phone, with 50 apps or so (including bigger file games like Earthworm Jim, Assassin's Creed, Skulls of Shogun, etcc...) AND I have some photos and videos on my phone as well (mind you, videos take up lots of space, so upload as fast as you can to skydrive). As you can see, without music you would have 2.3 GB free or so, with an 8GB 8x... pretty damn good if you ask me. What more do you want? The other is an issue but will be resolved soon according MS in future update to come, and worst case scenario you hard reset your phone to remove that stuff :). I'm overall happy with my phone.

Jonny8X

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
16gb is the one, way more than you'll need! I thought that i would struggle with 16gb and no sd card but it is definitely not the case!

starwarsclark

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
First post here and this question is exactly what is bothering me at the moment.
I have access to either an 820 (and 32Gb SD card) or a 8X (16Gb) and I am moving over to the "darkside" from the IPhone 4 64Gb.
Now I keep all of my music on the IPhone and that with other apps means I currently have 37Gb free, OK I know that is more than both of the Win8 phones and I can cut down on the actual music that is stored on the phone - My question, finally, is;
Which one - 820 or 8X
Oh and I believe you can use ITunes to synch with the Win8 phone - can I presume that if this is the case that you can pick and choose what is/isn't stored on the phone?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my HTC 8x since day 1 and have only used just over half my 16GB of space. I do rely on the cloud features of the phone such as Skydrive for documents and XBox Music for streaming my music collection. I also use my app that connects me to my home server to be able to access everything else when needed. Only thing I keep on my phone are apps and photos/videos that I take with the phone. Truthfully, even if I had a 32GB phone or an expanded SD slot, I would still rely on cloud services for the majority of my files.

wp_ss_20130313_0001.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720