System update

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No, I bought it unlocked in Germany. Still don't understand this arbitrary distribution of updates though :(

It's arbitrary because unlike Apple there are different hardwares, with different capabilities, on different carriers, in different countries and different continent. Also, by "rolling out" updates, Microsoft makes sure that it can halt the update process if things go wrong with the first user group e.g. WP7.8 rollout is on halt after finding out live tile issues. This way not everyone will be affected and hence lesser dissatisfied customers. So all in all, you will get the update, it's nothing major, but it will roll out on time. However, by end of this month all WP should have got Portico according to the roll out schedule.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who reads this thread and HAS NOT updated to this one, before you do - could you please check if under cellular, data roaming options, under the drop down you have the following text:
"When entering a roaming area, your data connection will be turned off."

I am sure I never noticed this before the update and it never disconnects the data as I went to Paris few weeks back and was able to use the data connection!

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who reads this thread and HAS NOT updated to this one, before you do - could you please check if under cellular, data roaming options, under the drop down you have the following text:
"When entering a roaming area, your data connection will be turned off."

I am sure I never noticed this before the update and it never disconnects the data as I went to Paris few weeks back and was able to use the data connection!

No, sorry, the option is still there in 1017. It shows up when Data Roaming is turned off.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey - I think this update has fixed the wi-fi issue... My wi-fi is now always on and does not drop when the screen turns off and locks...

Can someone else please check?

EDIT : Oh b***** no it doesn't - still switches off after a minute or so in lock :(

EDIT EDIT : There is now an option under wi-fi settings to keep Wi-Fi on when screen times out.... it does work.. left on lock screen for 10 mins and still on

Last edited:

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
..also battery , mobile signal, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection indicators stay permanently shown on the lock screen... I think that is different?

Eagerly

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got an update this morning...Stated it was a Nokia and MS update. I have an EE lumia unlocked and using on Vodafone UK...3G signal was a little poor , but after update it is solid, shows 3G+ permanently now when it has a 3G signal, it used to be really flakey....I'd say this was more of a substantial update than people realise

gary_dexter

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This was fixed with the Portico update months ago

Hey - I think this update has fixed the wi-fi issue... My wi-fi is now always on and does not drop when the screen turns off and locks...

Can someone else please check?

EDIT : Oh b***** no it doesn't - still switches off after a minute or so in lock :(

EDIT EDIT : There is now an option under wi-fi settings to keep Wi-Fi on when screen times out.... it does work.. left on lock screen for 10 mins and still on

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Very minor 0.000.000.01 update. Not important.

If you look at it, it isn't that minor after all. They have fixed the radio issue. For those living in poorer network coverage, this will be really helpful. Most likely they would not suffer from bad battery if the firmware fixes radio than only aesthetic logo! I've had 3G+ all night and am hoping today after work, I have much more juice left.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, for those of you on T-M or Orange, do you now have 4G as an option in Settings > mobile network > Highest connection speed ?

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded the update but now the 3 buttons at the bottom of the phone dont light up under any circumstances!.... anyone else have this?

False alarm!.........Lights work fine, it seems that they are related to ambient light conditions, during daylight they stay off, but in a dark room they come on as normal. (-:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, for those of you on T-M or Orange, do you now have 4G as an option in Settings > mobile network > Highest connection speed ?

Always had the option of 4G! Even pre-portico. 3G and 4G.

Are there any videos or step by step instructions on how to system update? I hope you reply on this. - Peter F. Spittler

You don't need videos.
Unlock phone.
Go to app list.
Tap A.
From alphabets select S.
Go to Settings.
Scroll slowly till you see "phone update".
Tap "phone update".
Tap the box that says "check for updates". Note you need WiFi or mobile data to check updates.
It will ask you if you want to download update. Say yes. You need WiFi to download.
Once it has downloaded, it will ask you if you want to install with options: Postpone and Install.
Tap Install.
Phone will install.
Restart - moving parts animation.
Restart again. Nokia.. Splash Screen.
Then it will do 4 step migration of data.
Then it will finish and say Update finished.
Tap OK.
Use phone like you did before.

Eagerly

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
All I need now is a decent FB app and i am complete...FB with true notifications and i am away....Oh ok, and Tapatalk, but i can just about live without that :). Thanks for the effort and time, in putting the guide up for those that needed it Rockstarzzz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)