Lumia 820 Broken LCD but NOT Digitizer

Steve Macey

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
As the title says, I have managed to break the LCD on my Lumia 820. The digitizer is fine so to keep costs down I only want to replace the LCD unit itself. I have two questions.

Frist, and this may sound silly, but does the LCD unit have glass on the front of it? When I seperate the digitizer and LCD there is broken glass inside the digitizer but none on the front of the lcd.

Second, is it easy to replace JUST the LCD? I see it is stuck to a heat spreader and back plate. Would it be easier to buy the LCD attached to the heat spreader and backplate.

Also, if anyone can point me to the right parts that I need it would be much appreciated. I have seen this on Ebay:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1423.l2648&token=HwIpZFtt

Would this be the right thing?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, I have managed to break the LCD on my Lumia 820. The digitizer is fine so to keep costs down I only want to replace the LCD unit itself. I have two questions.

Frist, and this may sound silly, but does the LCD unit have glass on the front of it? When I seperate the digitizer and LCD there is broken glass inside the digitizer but none on the front of the lcd.

Second, is it easy to replace JUST the LCD? I see it is stuck to a heat spreader and back plate. Would it be easier to buy the LCD attached to the heat spreader and backplate.

Also, if anyone can point me to the right parts that I need it would be much appreciated. I have seen this on Ebay:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1423.l2648&token=xetZu6t9

Would this be the right thing?

I suggest sending it into a company, but it is your choice.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, to my understanding, modern digitizers are optically bonded to the LCD. Unless you have the correct equipment to do that, you have to replace them both.

The digitizer is the cheap part. The LCD is more expensive. I saw digitizers for the Lumia 900 for under 20 bucks a pop. You are likely better off buying the LCD+digitizer together, which is common practice nowadays, I believe.

Steve Macey

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, but my question is not about whether or not to attempt the repair, more about whether I have the right parts.The LCD screen and back plate are the bits that need replacing. I have found out that whilst it is possible to separate them, it is probably easier to buy both and replace the two.

They come with self adhesive strips to stick them together. Basically peel and stick. The one I found on Ebay is exactly what I need, and the guy even offered to attach the back plate to the screen for me before sending it.

The only real question I have left then is about the digitizer. I don't believe there is any kind of bonding between the digitizer and the LCD. Looking over the official Nokia manual and from dismantling the device myself, it seems to be a separate part that simply sits over the LCD. Is this correct?

Steve Macey

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I got my new LCD today. Also ordered a new backplate and the guy on Ebay attached the two together, although it is simply peel and stick anyway. Dismantled the phone, and removed the LCD. The glass from the lcd was stuck to the inside of the digitizer so it took some careful work to remove every shred of glass but after that it was simply a case of dropping in the new screen and bolting it back together.

And I am please to report it works perfectly. I wouldn't recommend someone who is a complete novice at these things to attempt it, but of all the repairs I have done this was definitely one of the more straight forward ones.

graceheart10

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Last night, I dropped my phone and the inside LCD screen broke, but the digitizer didn't. I've dropped it multiple times before, even on concrete, but after hitting our "soft" kitchen floor, my LCD screen has managed to become cracked. Can you tell me how much it cost you to get a new LCD screen? Digitizer and phone is fine. It's just the inside LCD screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss