Technically, can a NL920 run android?

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
No I don't want android on my NL920. I like Google in general, I just don't like android. My true motivation to this question is if NL 920 can run android perhaps HTC One might be able to run WP8 too.

1. Technically, can a phone designed to be able to run WP8 and android? (not at the same time of course). Is it impossible, harder to do so or it is already designed to do so.

2. Is it illegal for manufacturers to do so?

3. Is is not a smart thing to do strategically?

Just curious, not trolling please be kind to me. :)

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
WP8 doesn't support the One's 1080p screen, Snapdragon 600 CPU, 4 ultrapixel camera, etc. Not to mention how difficult/impossible it would be to get WP running on the One. My opinion: just wait for Nokia Lumia catwalk/laser/eos.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As most current phones are ARM based embedded PCs, they are all basically similar in capability, however as components come from different vendors the drivers required to interface to low level hardware are quite different even with the general similarities.

So the simple answer is that with enough motivation from OS and component manufacturers, you could get any OS to run on any current hardware... Android, WP and even OSX.

However the effort is large and licensing such that this is impractical.

WP8 handsets use almost identical hardware which keeps the core platform pretty much identical and massively reduces the driver development/integration time for handset manufacturers.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Some people tried this there's a Fujitsu phone that was made 2 years ago that could run both Symbian and Windows 7 , (Not WP7)
here's a link for the sake of knowledge

Asus's new Tablet AIO can run both Android and W8.
Its just by the time you could make such product , produce millions of it , create 2 hardware drivers , License 2 OSs (Some OSs has strict rules about hardware and sometime even software capabilities.) you'll be like 8 months late for the party and software/hardware will be ages ahead .
That's why your suggestion is almost impossible to do specially by struggling companies like HTC/Nokia.

kwambe5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As realwarder said above, anything is possible. Just ask the HD2! At five different OS's have been shoehorned to run on that beast of a phone. However there will never be full support and functionality on any but the native OS. Just don't hold tour breath waiting for it to be released for our beloved 920!

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Whilst it may be technically possible it will never happen so don't get your hopes up or wait around for the day that it does happen.

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 900 and Nokia N9 are the only phones that can truly run a semi-functional linux systems but I highly doubt it will be worth running android on a nokia lumia 920 and developrs wouldnt want to waste too much time anyway

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 900 and Nokia N9 are the only phones that can truly run a semi-functional linux systems but I highly doubt it will be worth running android on a nokia lumia 920 and developrs wouldnt want to waste too much time anyway

I think the HTC HD2 can too run multiple OSs up to 5 I think...

I remember Installing JB on my Nokia N9 , such fun times...

Ice055

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It has an arm based processor so i think it can run android. But noy a good idea. Why ruin this awesome wp8 experience? I replaced my wp7.5 phone with android 4.1 phone. Now, im back to wp8. I will never look back ever again. 😉

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Technically speaking, yes it can, but why in the world would some1 do such a blasphemmy?
I mean, it is ruining one **** of a device, with one really good OS, for a crappy Android. YUKK

My signature tells everything!

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Unless you can bypass the unique security module no.

Is the hardware capable? Absolutely. Are android drivers available for all the hardware components. Doubt it.

MrMoDoJoJr

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to write an Android emulator for WP8. I believe there are already some open source Android emulators that run on full blown Windows and Windows RT, so WP8 wouldn't be too big a leap of faith. But nobody has done it, so its not just something you can go and download.

Going the other way is more difficult i.e. running a WP8 emulator on an Android device. Since Windows is a closed ecosystem, writing an emulator for it would be much more difficult. I don't believe there are any WP8 emulators for any OS.

As many people have pointed out, why would you do this? Well, largely because there are apps for Android that do not exist on WP8.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The hardware on a lot of phones is virtually identical. The Blackberry Z10 and HTC One S feature the same CPU and GPU as the Lumia 920. However, I think there are some differences on some fundamental that pretty much make it impossible to put a different OS on these devices. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone pulling it off outside of some odd phones.

Forget about emulation, even if something were to exist it would run so poorly as to be useless. Blackberry's Android emulation isn't particular good, performance-wise, and is stuck at version 2.3 anyway. And it isn't emulating the entire OS either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos