Is this true? AT&T and Nokia exclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
doesn't ATT and nokia have an exclusivity? i mean i get the 928 is not going to be the same as the 920 but i mean that most bother ATT. like that's just a back stab. the word exclusive means that they're going to be sole partner for that time. if this phone comes out before june (when the ATT exclusivity runs out) then i honestly will be bothered for 2 reasons. 1) that's a low blow to ATT to change it up a bit and call it different so the word 'exclusive' doesn't matter. the second reason (which is the most important reason) is what the heck is nokia doing? if they keep to different versions of their top of the line then what's the refresh cycle going to look like? different on each carrier? that just sounds dumb from the point of lack of unity in the release structure. so in september what happens? ATT gets the updated version of the 920? why fragment the top of the line? just my thoughts. i really hope this won't come out until the refresh of the 920 comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: is this true?

oh please, just be happy finally nokia gets an flagship on verizon, usas largest.... it has already been 5 months from release of nokia lumia 920 on ATT, so in april it will be 6 months and the exclusive deal was for 6 months.. it would be an bad move if nokia released 6 months later an old device for them, so it needed to be updated, and another thing why there is so many variants because some carriers want their unique phone in usa, and nokia isnt in that position of samsung or apple to get all carriers along .. but will be hopefully in future.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

why fragment the top of the line?

It's not fragmentation. Every single Lumia device is essentially the exact same phone wrapped in different clothing, with some minor changes to peripheral hardware that make no difference to app or OS developers. If app and OS developers can't tell it's fragmented, then it isn't fragmented.

It is my understanding that exclusivity applies to a specific device. If it applied to business relationships, then Verizon wouldn't even have the Lumia 822 on offer.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

oh please, just be happy finally nokia gets an flagship on verizon, usas largest.... it has already been 5 months from release of nokia lumia 920 on ATT, so in april it will be 6 months and the exclusive deal was for 6 months.. it would be an bad move if nokia released 6 months later an old device for them, so it needed to be updated, and another thing why there is so many variants because some carriers want their unique phone in usa, and nokia isnt in that position of samsung or apple to get all carriers along .. but will be hopefully in future.

if it's been 6 months then they shouldn't launch a completely new phone. small modifications i would understand. plus like i said before, what are they going to do for ATT in the next new months when the 920 becomes old? copy the same features as the verizon phone and call it the 1000? that's dumb marketing. far too many products to market versus say 5 and just have carrier specific models. apple is doing it, samsung, htc, you name it and they're doing it. no one wants to fragment their OWN hardware just doesn't make sense from advertisement point of view same with supply chain. hire more companies to build a new phone? that's a naive approach. HTC X is on multiple carrier but still called HTC X. "it needs to be upgraded" shouldn't be a factor? if they get the hardware right from the get go they don't have to upgrade anything for a 1 year minimum (i.e. apple and their specs. dual core, tri-graphics card, incredible build quality. at least in terms physical phone. it doesn't have issues).

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

It's not fragmentation. Every single Lumia device is essentially the exact same phone wrapped in different clothing, with some minor changes to peripheral hardware that make no difference to app or OS developers. If app and OS developers can't tell it's fragmented, then it isn't fragmented.

It is my understanding that exclusivity applies to a specific device. If it applied to business relationships, then Verizon wouldn't even have the Lumia 822 on offer.

first of all the 820 isn't exclusive to ATT hence the 822. in my opinion i think they should have called it the 820 as well. imagine this: ask an iphone users on att what their phone is and they say "oh its the iphone 5.2", ask some one on verizone and you get "oh the iphone 5.3", that's fragmentation. i have a friend that has the samsung S3 and i asked him what it was running (knowing it was android) he said oh samsung. most people can't differentiate with all this long. another example would be this. if your friend asks you what phone you have and you say oh the 820 and they go to verizone and say i want they 820 by nokia and verizone says they don't carry it what do you think is going to be the first response from your friend? nokia sucks for making me having to switch carriers to get that phone. it's bad on so many levels for nokia. now for their current line of phones, it's not the same. the lumia 920 has a unibody the 720, 520 don't (or whatever they're called). not to mention fitting a specific screen or a camera. that's not easy to do. so it's not the same phone wrapped in different clothing.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

doesn't ATT and nokia have an exclusivity? i mean i get the 928 is not going to be the same as the 920 but i mean that most bother ATT. like that's just a back stab. the word exclusive means that they're going to be sole partner for that time. if this phone comes out before june (when the ATT exclusivity runs out) then i honestly will be bothered for 2 reasons. 1) that's a low blow to ATT to change it up a bit and call it different so the word 'exclusive' doesn't matter. the second reason (which is the most important reason) is what the heck is nokia doing? if they keep to different versions of their top of the line then what's the refresh cycle going to look like? different on each carrier? that just sounds dumb from the point of lack of unity in the release structure. so in september what happens? ATT gets the updated version of the 920? why fragment the top of the line? just my thoughts. i really hope this won't come out until the refresh of the 920 comes out.

All of this depends..... Can you tell us what the contract between Nokia and ATT says about it?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't care what Verizon gets or att new when ever flagship is. I love my 920!!!! Glad I had the chance to get it when I did. Launch day baby!!!

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Don't be jealous! More WP8 hardware for more carriers is a good thing for all of us. There will always be the next big thing and better hardware a few months after you get your shiny new device.

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

hence my point about the fragmentation.

I don't think you even understand what the word "fragmentation" means. You're just throwing it around like the others on this forum when they don't get what they want viz. Nokia exclusive apps, hero phone, micro SD, wireless charging, games. All these objects have been the subject of fragmentation complaints.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't fragmentation really an issue from a software point of view?

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

The thing is, there is *no* fragmentation. All phones run the same OS. This is not the case with android. Using "fragmentation" for WP is like saying fragmentation for desktop Windows. OEMs bundle exclusive apps, high-end games don't run on netbooks, some PCs have USB 3.0 and some have 2.0 etc.

For WP OEMs too, all they can differentiate is using their exclusive apps/unique hardware to entice customers to choose their products. If all windows phones looked the same, performed the same and had the same set of default apps, why would you choose one brand over the other? Since there are multiple OEMs, they all need to do something different to attract people. HTC has the slim form-factor, Nokia have their camera and (not so) exclusive apps. The onus of deciding now lies on you....which one will you choose? Your answer will depend on what you are looking for in a phone. All of them provide the same OS and have, for the most part, the same experience. It all depends on the last mile. My choice may not be the same as your choice.

The ONLY "fragmentation" I can see is WP 7.x vs. WP 8.x.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

As I understand it, the fragmentation of android is that it has too many different resolutions and os versions on different phones. Which means when a developer writes a software he has to write it such that the software works on all devices, which is very difficult. Bring in the fact that in each resolutions there are devices with different os versions, that increases the number of unique devices for the developer to address. As for WP however there are only 4 different resolutions and two different os versions, totalling to 8 unique combinations. However incase of android the combinations are very high to address. Hence any single app cannot address all the unique combinations, that's uncontrolled fragmentation. However iOS developers have to address only one single resolution all along and now two resolutions only, hence developers love working for iOS. However that left iOS with limited choices in phone sizes. So WP is some where inbetween iOS and Android with a balance between choices and easy development. So WP is not fragmented and will never fragmented if the new 18 month update support promise of microsoft is followed. That's my 2 cents...:)

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

People keep throwing around the "6 month exclusivity deal with AT&T and Nokia" like it's a fact. It was only speculation, at best.

Plus while most were 2nd gen WP7 and WP8, us poor Verizon slobs had to make do with nothing but a 1st gen Trophy.
I think a little love and support is in order. :wink:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

As I understand it, the fragmentation of android is that it has too many different resolutions and os versions on different phones. Which means when a developer writes a software he has to write it such that the software works on all devices, which is very difficult. Bring in the fact that in each resolutions there are devices with different os versions, that increases the number of unique devices for the developer to address. As for WP however there are only 4 different resolutions and two different os versions, totalling to 8 unique combinations. However incase of android the combinations are very high to address. Hence any single app cannot address all the unique combinations, that's uncontrolled fragmentation. However iOS developers have to address only one single resolution all along and now two resolutions only, hence developers love working for iOS. However that left iOS with limited choices in phone sizes. So WP is some where inbetween iOS and Android with a balance between choices and easy development. So WP is not fragmented and will never fragmented if the new 18 month update support promise of microsoft is followed. That's my 2 cents...:)
This is all good, but I will offer one correction and other added thoughts... The correction is that until Microsoft adds 1080p, which won't really be a surprise, there are only three resolutions. 480x800 (WP7x devices, 822, 8s, and low-end Lumias), 1280x768 (922), and 1280x720 (8x).

As for developing, a developer does not *have* to develop covering all three resolutions. If he only writes for one, the app will work. It may not look the same, but it will work. The easiest way, in my opinion (and the way I'm doing it), is instead of laying out the screen by pixels is to do it by ratio. My apps will look the same on all three screens, and all I had to do to cover them all equally was to check a couple of checkboxes. Otherwise, I believe you'll get the black bands at top and bottom of the screen. Now I'm referring to the xaml apps, or apps that are laid out using xaml, which most of your non-game apps are going to be, at least for now (there are a couple different ways to develop for the phone). I've only used this method of developing for the phone, so I can't speak for the others. I'm also not speaking for games, as I've never developed one. Basically, though, the phone will adapt if the developer didn't.

As for the fragmentation between WP7 and WP8, yes, there is fragmentation in that respect, because anytime you add capabilities to something, the old equipment won't run the apps that use those capabilites. WP8 will run *most* WP7 apps without any problems, but making apps for WP8 that will run on WP7 is more of a challenge.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Don't be jealous! More WP8 hardware for more carriers is a good thing for all of us. There will always be the next big thing and better hardware a few months after you get your shiny new device.

i'm sorry you read my comment and saw jealousy in it. that is far from the truth. what i was talking about is the point of view from a marketing/supply chain of view it doesn't make sense. this is more magnified by the fact that nokia is doing horrible in terms of sales.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you even understand what the word "fragmentation" means. You're just throwing it around like the others on this forum when they don't get what they want viz. Nokia exclusive apps, hero phone, micro SD, wireless charging, games. All these objects have been the subject of fragmentation complaints.

frag?men?ta?tion [ fr?gmən t?ysh'n ]
breaking up of something: the process of shattering or breaking up into fragments
loss of unity and cohesion: the loss of unity and cohesion and the splitting of something into isolated and often conflicting parts
shattering of explosive device: the scattering of the shattered parts of a grenade or other explosive device

that defines the word. so now examine the second definition and you'll understand what i mean. "loss of unity and cohesion", which is something nokia badly needs. it's not logical to advertise a million products and spend specific time and R&D into each carrier. as i said before, apple, samsung and htc (not to mention almost all other phone manufacturers) produce a product and launch it on different networks with no to very slight changes (mostly the radio antenna to work on those specific bands).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb