Thanks to the Other Storage problem, I will have to hard reset

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I hate to do this but with 8.48gb of other storage and rising, I have less than 700 MBs left. I barely have much apps and use SkyDrive and Xbox for my storage needs. Anyway so besides game saves (this is huge :( ) and Live Tile placement, what else will not recover? Also if I do this and turn off Skydrive auto upload, will my other storage rise as fast or at all? Should I wait for a fix which may take a while? Thanks for reading. I can't believe nobody at Microsoft noticed this in their testing!

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I tried shrink storage and it doesn't work for me. Seems to release about the same amount of storage that I had before using it. Also tried the trick to move all pictures and videos from camera roll via Skydrive to another folder on skydive. My phone is starting to lag a little which is really something I don't see often on WP8.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I tried shrink storage and it doesn't work for me. Seems to release about the same amount of storage that I had before using it. Also tried the trick to move all pictures and videos from camera roll via Skydrive to another folder on skydive. My phone is starting to lag a little which is really something I don't see often on WP8.

I'm not sure if moving all the pictures to another folder on Skydrive can work. Try to turn off the auto-upload to Skydrive and only upload the photos that you think it is important. Because uploading photos+videos to Skydrive is one of the main reason why the Other Storage keeps rising.
Maybe you can try to copy all those pictures in your Skydrive folder to your computer first. And then try to delete the photos inside the Skydrive albums from your phone.
I believe it's the thumbnails images that we see inside the Skydrive folder that use up a lot of the Other Storage, especially if you have a lot photos uploaded to Skydrive.

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling its not caused by Skydrive. I'm leaning towards the thumbnails that Photos hub hangs onto from all Facebook, Twitter and Skydrive albums. I deleted a load of music and my Other reduced by nothing. Will keep investigating maybe by deleting some of the photos I keep on FB

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling its not caused by Skydrive. I'm leaning towards the thumbnails that Photos hub hangs onto from all Facebook, Twitter and Skydrive albums. I deleted a load of music and my Other reduced by nothing. Will keep investigating maybe by deleting some of the photos I keep on FB

Yeap, it's from Skydrive. Joe Belfiore mentioned it before. He suggested to turn off the auto-upload to Skydrive.
And that's what I said earlier, it's the thumbnail images that you upload to Skydrive that might use up a lot of the Other Storage.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Apparently the other storage is normal according to Microsoft after i emailed them

Well it kind of is normal, but it's still a problem. Belfiore already said 2 weeks ago that will be fixed on a update.

Nokia has delivered or is rolling it out at the moment to its own fix to its Windows Phone 8 handsets already.

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I deleted this folder with videos that showed up in the skydrive albums but made no affect. Also as many pointed out, after deleting apps/games, there is always left over data. I just wish there was a way to keep game saves. Its the only thing keeping me from hard resetting...

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I hate to do this but with 8.48gb of other storage and rising, I have less than 700 MBs left.

Assuming we're talking about a WP8 phone here, just connect to a PC and copy some large files (such as movies) to the pone. This will reduce the other storage segment as intended and release space. Also copy images from the phone, and back if required, will release space.

There is several apps available, like shrink storage, to resolve this and the coming Nokia Firmware update will also fix this.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
This problem also extends to WP7 devices, especially when application installs fail, leaving the installer in the "other" portion of the memory.

If Microsoft doesn't take action very soon, considering the fact that even this problem is still present in WP8, there will be even more WP users complaining about this issue.

pffloyd

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
So, here's what what I did to get Shrink Storage to work.

1) I turned off auto upload to Skydrive.
2) Ran Shrink Storage using the instructions provided
3) saved about 2.5 gb

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Finally did a hard reset. :(. For the most part everything went smoothly. All the apps I believe downloaded. Text and some settings carried over. Of course lost most of my game saves. :(. Microsoft better give us the cache cleaner soon and fix the problem in the next update!

yanzfoot

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Those new Gameloft games, takes a lot of "other space" storage. 2 hours playing Asphalt 7, and the "other space" went up 600 Mb

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Auto upload off. Shrink storage used to death. System takes up 2Gb and other storage at 4Gb. Guess how much I have left with 0 games installed? Less than 800Mb. I can't install one damn asphalt game I believe MS has done nth! No ur storage check thing cleaned out 200mb only. Its ridiculous out 200mb only. Its ridiculous!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Auto upload off. Shrink storage used to death. System takes up 2Gb and other storage at 4Gb. Guess how much I have left with 0 games installed? Less than 800Mb. I can't install one damn asphalt game I believe MS has done nth! No ur storage check thing cleaned out 200mb only. Its ridiculous out 200mb only. Its ridiculous!

I read it is due in GDR2 , hope they really fix this. I don't have it as bad as the OP, but I have taken all steps to prevent it from going out of hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte