Lumia 920 Display Shattered from a 3 ft height - India

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I was very happy to get my much awaited Lumia 920 on Jan 10th. I have got my red one by evening 8. And to my bad luck, it fall from my hand - a 3 ft height may be - display facing down to the road. While taking the phone, i was praying, nothing should have happen. But the display shattered. It was on 29th day. I have given it to the nokia care unit and they shipped it to headoffice. Now i got a call from the team saying the motherboard has got a physical damage. They are not able to repairable. And has shipped back to bangalore.

What do you think guys, how it could happen. the motherboard. there is no crack on the body other than the digitizer. Even the lcd was working fine with that broken digitizer. Somebody please help me. Know any experts who will be able to repair this? But will be the spare part would be available? The manufacturer gave it up. I am totally disappointed. Was waiting for this beauty since the announcement. And..

I have started a thread in Nokia discussion forum as well, but so far not received any replies.

And on top of this, Nokia from this 14th have started giving free insurance with physical damage coverage too! My time!! Now i need to collect back my phone from them. Don't know, if they have broken it? Have to check directly. I was not understanding, how could be it possible.

Any experts here, please suggest what can i do.

Thanks...

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
From what you have described in the Nokia Support site it sounds to me as though the person who attempted to replace your screen has damaged the motherboard but is not accepting the blame for it. The problem is, it's near impossible to determine if he has caused the damage to the motherboard. I'm really sorry for your bad luck because I know how it feels. I dropped a Galaxy S a while ago and broke the screen but I didn't have any insurance so I had to pay to have the screen replaced. I've learned my lesson the hard way and now have insurance for my phones.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Man this sucks... I empathise with you... But exactly for this reason I spent some extra money and got an insurance... If you can buy peace of mind, don't think twice...

I had a similar incident a few years ago on my Nokia 6610... The care couldn't sort out and told me to replace phone's cracked motherboard... However, I went around a few cell phone repair shops and finally managed a smart guy who glued the motherboard and carefully fixed the conductors and trust me the phone worked for a good two years..

Now since there is nothing you can go, take it around a few more care centres and see if replacing the screen can fix this issue or try to see what kind of damage the motherboard suffered. You just go to try that's it... good luck

Swag_global

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience from a lower height and Nokia didn't do anything but tell me 2 send to there third party repair center where I paid full price for the screen, learned the hard way also

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah i understood that. But how far it is possible for getting the motherboard getting a physical damage. As i mentioned, the outer case is not having a problem. And the LCD too. Motherboard which sits beneath this LCD can get the impact? I wonder how. Yes, now there is no point in thinking or questioning. But i will get mad if i start thinking alone. I really cant have a look at the phone. It hurts.

From what you have described in the Nokia Support site it sounds to me as though the person who attempted to replace your screen has damaged the motherboard but is not accepting the blame for it. The problem is, it's near impossible to determine if he has caused the damage to the motherboard. I'm really sorry for your bad luck because I know how it feels. I dropped a Galaxy S a while ago and broke the screen but I didn't have any insurance so I had to pay to have the screen replaced. I've learned my lesson the hard way and now have insurance for my phones.

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Man this sucks... I empathise with you... But exactly for this reason I spent some extra money and got an insurance... If you can buy peace of mind, don't think twice...

I had a similar incident a few years ago on my Nokia 6610... The care couldn't sort out and told me to replace phone's cracked motherboard... However, I went around a few cell phone repair shops and finally managed a smart guy who glued the motherboard and carefully fixed the conductors and trust me the phone worked for a good two years..

Now since there is nothing you can go, take it around a few more care centres and see if replacing the screen can fix this issue or try to see what kind of damage the motherboard suffered. You just go to try that's it... good luck

Yeah, thanks man...Now need to search for a smart guy.

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar experience from a lower height and Nokia didn't do anything but tell me 2 send to there third party repair center where I paid full price for the screen, learned the hard way also
How much they asked for? Is it for a lumia. This guys told me appx it would be 11.5K INR. I was ready to pay that too. But when they say it is unrepairable, :( ;(

sj55555

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You can get a new display and digitizer for USD120, shipped free from China. Link

Here's a video on taking apart the 920:

I replaced the display on my 800 after it started developing hairline scratches, and it was pretty easy.

If you decide to repair your 920 yourself, you can check to see what kind of motherboard damage there really is once you take it apart. Obviously, there's nothing wrong electronically with the motherboard as your phone is still working. If there's just a crack in the circuit board, you can apply a little epoxy to make sure it doesn't break all the way through.

Good luck.

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey
yeah thanks for the assembly video. I actually have seen this. I m quite not sure if i can do that..it is a sophisticated assembly. May be i would broke the entire board.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your phone! I dropped mine from the same height on a ceramic tile floor and it shattered the screen just as bad. Luckily, I had insurance on it through at&t and after paying a $125 deductable, I had a replacement shipped to me overnight.

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
All,

I just went to the care unit to collect back my after they confirmed, it is not repairable. While giving the phone, the touch was working. Now it is not. I could see the broken area is more now, they have disassembled it for sure - from the so called head office. And they tells its limited warranty. They cant do anything. Is it their ignorance they are calling as limited warranty!!!..Guyz where do i go now. while handing it over, the touch was working. Now it is not. Doesnt it makes a clear idea that it has not disassembled properly...Experts out there, advice me...:( :( :( This is a flagship phone from Nokia. And nokia expert care center guyz from delhi says it is not repairable & just because of their fault. where do i go now. what should i do now. Please help....

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This sounds awfully familiar. This is the risk of raised glass surfaces on these phones. And I think the weight of these phones is a contributing factor. The fact is that while Gorilla Glass is good for scratch resistance it's not shatter proof. Sure, it doesn't break as easily as regular glass, but the force of a drop is still way beyond the resistance of Gorilla Glass. That some screens shatter where others do not is more about how they fall than anything else.

The phone I dropped and broke slid a few feet on pavement and didn't get a single scratch. My replacement phone somehow acquired a 3mm scratch despite my meticulous care. Talk about irony.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So, I see that you posted a picture of the shattered phone. And the phone looks like it is On. I would assume that the motherboard is fine if the phone was ON. Send that picture to them and tell them that the motherboard is fine. And if they dont change their stance, send an email to Stephen Elop if the phone was truly working after it was dropped. that might help!

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone out there?? I just wanted to know what is the probability can the touch sensitivity can go off while dis assembling the phone. Since the phone was touch sensitive even after 5 days from the accident, i pretty doubt while dis assembling something has happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz