Cousin Switching to Verizon- Samsung Galaxy S4 or Nokia Lumia 928?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So my cousin is switching from Sprint to Verizon (currently has a buggy Evo 3D). He likes Windows Phone (my yellow 920 a lot), but the Galaxy S4 really intrigues him, with its "Octa-Core" processor and 1080p display, and scrolling with your eyes and hands with the sensor, etc.

I feel that the Galaxy S4 has features the Nokia Lumia 928 doesn't have, but some are gimmicky and useless.

What do you think I should do?

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well since you are on the windows phone forums, I believe most everyone will tell him to check out the 928. Personally I will never have another Samsung phone much less another android. Samsung's support for nearly all of their handsets is wretched and my personal experience with android has been one of sluggish performance and handsets that don't get updated past gingerbread.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
To me, Windows Phone offers by far the better user experience. But if he demands an app for every hotel and website he should go Android (I wouldn't be able to stomach it though).

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright. It just seems the Galaxy S4 is one of the best Android phones. I like the HTC One more, but a 4MP camera (UltraPixel still can't blow up and have good quality), really? And I think he is done with HTC, since he hates his HTC Evo 3D.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
My answer is not going to be a popular one, but I hope it helps your cousin.

The S4 is a fact and the 928 is still not confirmed by Nokia or Verizon and we are not sure what the hardware is going to be and when it is going to be available.

There is also a big chance the US will not get the S4 with a Octa-Core but instead with get the Snapdragon 600 Quad-Core.

We don't know how this is going to change in the coming 12 months, right now Android and Samsung have a much larger app and developer community.

Looking at the track record, the Galaxy S2 (a phone from April 2011) did get a software update for the S3 software features and recently got Android 4.1.2. That is 2 years of updates and once Samsung stops, the big developers community will continue to add software to the SII for at least another 6 months. If the S4 is as popular as the S3 and S2 you can expect the same. Nokia, and mostly Microsoft do not have this track record.

These are things your cousin should keep in mind. I would suggest waiting till the 928 is available or till it is actually a fact with all known hardware and software and then ask the same question again.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Both versions are quad-core. Octa-core is just marketing, as only 4 cores are functional at any one time. I'd also suggest actually seeing the devices side by side, before deciding whether 1080p is a must-have or not. Tell your cousin to check the marketplace for his "must have" apps if he has some. 928 should be announced by the time S4 hits the shelves, if not, just get S4.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Android is more apps, higher specs because it's OS much more inefficient and needs the high specs (i.e. dual core WP8 usually more fluid than quad core android), UI not as good as WP8

WP8 is less apps, lower specs as higher unneeded for high-end experience due to nice coding, UI better than android.

While Samsung has some nice stuff, remember Nokia has better quality video recording (both video and audio with floating lens & high range mics), better low light camera performance, and the phone is built more solidly. Samsung has its pluses too but you noted them already.

Boils down to whether he needs Android's extra apps or not, as a core phone WP8 is better IMO. I'm sure you'd get opposite opinion if you asked in android forum :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Android has more apps. Are you going to use all of them? Also, Android accounts for 79% of the mobile malware last year. Why is this?

Windows Phone apps are sandboxed. In WP7 there was no way for one app to save data in the phone, and another app discover or access that data. Even if the same guy wrote both apps. This keeps a malicious app from finding the credit card number that you entered in another app (Paypal, for example).

In WP8, I have not looked into this, so I'm going on what I can remember of what I've heard, but IIRC it sounds to me like you can share information between apps, but only information that the developer "publishes" to be allowed to be shared. I could be wrong on this, as like I said I haven't looked into it. I'm not developing anything at the moment that would share between apps, so I haven't needed this info.

Android doesn't offer (to my knowledge, anyway) this kind of protection. Besides that, Google doesn't want to isolate things. They want to be able to discover it so that they can use it to sell ads.

In the Windows Phone Store, when I submit an app, it might take a week to get it through the certification process. It is tested for compliance to the certification requirements, tested for malicious code, tested for use of unauthorized APIs, and finally it is human tested.

With Android, as soon as you click the submit button the app is available for download. No testing.

IF a malicious app makes it to the Windows Phone Store (passed certification), as soon as Microsoft learns that it is malicious, it is removed from the store, and the security certificate is revoked. Android can remove an app from the store, too. But then it's up to the user to learn that they have a malicious app, and it is up to them to uninstall it. When Microsoft revokes a security certificate, the app will no longer run on the phones. If you start the app, you will get a dialog saying that the app will be uninstalled. If you tap OK, the app uninstalls. If you tap Cancel, it doesn't uninstall, but neither will it run.

So which one of these two phones would you prefer to use if you do any banking or financial transactions on it?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My wife love android and all the free apps (she could are less about adds) and being able to dl an app for the kids for an hour then delete. And she has a handful of apps she doesn't want to live with out (a paid calendar and pintrest). Me, I just use the basics and angry birds, so my needs will be met (minus playing .wav voicemails for work, grumble) so I'm probably going to switch.

It all depends on what you do, how you use it, and what apps are critical to your day to day operations.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So which one of these two phones would you prefer to use if you do any banking or financial transactions on it?
My girlfriend is about to switch from Windows Phone to Android/iOS, because there isn't a point of sale app, like Square, needed for her small business. At least none I found in my search. Is there a decent low cost alternative to Square on WP8?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend is about to switch from Windows Phone to Android/iOS, because there isn't a point of sale app, like Square, needed for her small business. At least none I found in my search. Is there a decent low cost alternative to Square on WP8?

Have you tried contacting Square to see if they will ever make an app?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So my cousin is switching from Sprint to Verizon (currently has a buggy Evo 3D). He likes Windows Phone (my yellow 920 a lot), but the Galaxy S4 really intrigues him, with its "Octa-Core" processor and 1080p display, and scrolling with your eyes and hands with the sensor, etc.

I feel that the Galaxy S4 has features the Nokia Lumia 928 doesn't have, but some are gimmicky and useless.

What do you think I should do?

If the person is choosing between the two phones as described, they will be seriously disappointed, The US version of the S4 is a quad core phone - check out all of the whining on the sister site forum. As for the 928, is still vapor ware. Until it is announced, it is just something to get traffic to sites via baseless rumors. In this case, it is not even the case that is just unannounced, it is not even acknowledged by either company. Comparing non-US specs of one phone to a spec-less fantasy phone will not likely make for a happy customer. Until a device is announced you are comparing apple's to oranges, or in this case, some type of apple you have never had to a virtual orange.

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried android? Give it a shot.

You could always sell it and return to WP. For some, android is the way to go. Im suggesting this because it seems that you will always have unease if you dont

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, tell your cousin to simply wait. The S4 is new and no one knows what to expect once it reaches ground level and as much as there were wonderful theatrics, some of which piqued my interest. But I also know me. I know what smart phone makes sense to own vs a lot of hardware running the same Angry Birds, email, Facebook whatever else you run now. Ask him to just wait.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have not read much about the S4, but what I have read makes me wonder who was asking for these kinds of changes. Why do I need a phone that stops a video if I glance away, or scrolls text automatically when I tilt the phone? Voice of obvious ignorance here....

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If the person is choosing between the two phones as described, they will be seriously disappointed, The US version of the S4 is a quad core phone - check out all of the whining on the sister site forum. As for the 928, is still vapor ware. Until it is announced, it is just something to get traffic to sites via baseless rumors. In this case, it is not even the case that is just unannounced, it is not even acknowledged by either company. Comparing non-US specs of one phone to a spec-less fantasy phone will not likely make for a happy customer. Until a device is announced you are comparing apple's to oranges, or in this case, some type of apple you have never had to a virtual orange.

They certainly aren't baseless, and hardly even qualify as rumors, any more. The FCC had the RM-860 with Verizon bands and is most likely the Lumia 928, which we've seen listed in leaked screenshots of Verizon's own systems.

And with the information our Verizon insiders have given in these forums, it really is a matter of when, not if, it gets released.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have not read much about the S4, but what I have read makes me wonder who was asking for these kinds of changes. Why do I need a phone that stops a video if I glance away, or scrolls text automatically when I tilt the phone? Voice of obvious ignorance here....

I actually DON'T want those... last thing I need is to look up at something and have my video pause, or my front camera active all the damned time. and for scrolling when I tilt. I'm not still when i'm reading on my phone all the time.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3