Sounds Awful

shalgrim

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 920 last week, and am very disappointed with the sound. For podcasts (speech) it's fine, but listening to music, even lossless music that I own, is very disappointing. Everything's ringy, muffled, distant. My HTC Arrive sounded vastly superior (I've done A/B tests with both devices this week). I've gone into the audio system, tried a bunch of EQ changes as well as the Dolby headphone option, and it's just flat out awful no matter what I do.

Are there any other audiophiles out there with this frustration? Does the sound improve after a burn-in period? Or should I try to get a different device like the HTC 8X? Music sound quality is one of the top priorities for me in a device.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't consider myself an "audiophile", but I listen to lots and lots of music on my 920 and think the sound on it is very good. I've had the HTC Rezound and One X in the past, and consider the 920's sound to be just as good as theirs.

I have Dolby on, auto leveling off, and did play around with the custom EQ a bit to find something that suited the stuff I listen to most. (Primarily electronica, both with heavy bass/beats as well as lighter zero-beat ambient and experimental stuff, and occasionally classical music too).

While audio quality is highly subjective, "muffled" and "distant" are nowhere near my experience. I think the 920 has the warmest sound of any cellphone I've ever had, and bass is plenty strong, and it gets more than loud enough if that's what I want.

If you're confident the headphones you have fit you well and work well with other sources, I'd recommend finding a store that will let you listen to some additional 920's to see if the problem is your unit or if the 920's sound profile just isn't a match for your tastes.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Sennheiser IE80's and I wasn't impressed with my Lumia 920's sound quality after coming from an iPhone. But then again, I used a Sony Ericsson before that and was disappointed with the iPhone. You'll get used to the sound signature. The only big gripe for me is the volume is still too low even at 30/30. I don't like using EQ or Dolby, as it ruins the music and the EQ does nothing to increase the volume.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My hope is that Nokia focuses on sound quality and music in a future device, I wish HTC made the new One running windows phone.......that thing is suppose to be the end all be all of cell phone music abilities.......i wish Nokia amplified the headphone jack like HTC does

nstine20

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
For low volume...be sure you have Audio Leveling turned off.

I have had the opposite experience. Turning on audio leveling greatly increases the volume for me. With audio leveling on and volume at 1 it sounds roughly equal to volume at 10 with audio leveling off. I'm using Sennheiser mm70i headphones.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I found the sound quality to be worse than my old Motorola Atrix and iPhone 3G. I don't think it is that great. GSMArena's tests showed that it has sub-par audio too. If it's that important to you then the 8x would probably be better.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I found the sound quality to be worse than my old Motorola Atrix and iPhone 3G. I don't think it is that great. GSMArena's tests showed that it has sub-par audio too. If it's that important to you then the 8x would probably be better.

I am just happy with a sound quaility of my Lumia 920 ... using with WH-920 Purity Monster in-ear ... and speaker's audio is OK too, after updating the latest fw 1232.5957.3108 ... if you are very demanding, then I think that it is better to test them in store before buying ...

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
depends on what you listen to, to me beats is killing the music, so does a lot of the so call artist out there. The 920 has a fine tone, and lot of the owner here love it as I do.

themax2

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Nokia l?mites the audio output DB due EU laws, is implented in 7.5 update, search in Google.

I become from a 3GS and me 920 just sound very very low, just ordered a FiiO portable AMP.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia l?mites the audio output DB due EU laws, is implented in 7.5 update, search in Google.

I become from a 3GS and me 920 just sound very very low, just ordered a FiiO portable AMP.

What country you are living ? - are you from England and what is your firmware ?

EDIT: - no problem with output here at all ... I am usually lissening on 20 to 24 level (out from 30) .... higher level only, if I use speakers only ...

themax2

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Im from Spain and me firmware is the latest 1308 from England, same issue at original p?rtico Spain firmware.
Dunno if the America RM-820 firmware has that limitation.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Im from Spain and me firmware is the latest 1308 from England, same issue at original p?rtico Spain firmware.
Dunno if the America RM-820 firmware has that limitation.

I suggest you to try other firmware, to get higher output level :) ... I am using Swedish fw and no problem with output level (if you like to try, flash 1232.5957.1308.0017 eu_sweden_235 - it is a good one) ... and yes, I have tried GB CV too, but I did not like it, because of low output level ... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750