Sounds Awful

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
you're definitely suffering hearing damage

why do people say things like this? it is an honest statement , the sound output of the lumia 920 isn't the best at all and could be much better , I paid ?410 for the device , yet I can admit that it sounds ok ,it has a warm sound but it isn't the best in audio quality no way and there are other phones that perform much better including the iphones and galaxy 1 and galaxy 3 with their wolfson dsp chip that sound even better if you add voodoo sound or acid sound mods from the devs out there

a users has even linked a gsm arena scientific test where it clearly shows the 920 being below par yet users still reply with ''you suffer hearing damage'' everyones hearing is different yes but that doesn't mean the 920 is the bomb at audio and it may be loud for some people but when ran through tests it came out not great for a flagship device

if you think it sounds great that's awesome but then you would think a sgs3 with sound mods is like standing infron of a funktion one soundsystem and the 920 like standing infront of an alba tape player lol :)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
iphones and SG3 are known to have average sound.

seriously?? have you used either? even compared them? you should check out the sgs1 or sgs3 with its wolfson sound chip ....... add voodoo sound to the mix and watch it blow you away!!!

http://unleashthephones.com/2012/06/26/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-uses-wolfson-audio-chip/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3

also the statement you made makes you look like you haven't used many phones or know much about the hardware the wolfson sound chips are known for being great in mobile phones , hence the uproar from users when the sgs2 used a Yamaha chip instead , Samsung soon switched back to wolfson :) supercico a reknowned dev has tested them scientifically loads and ripped them to pieces they offer great sound reproduction and audio outputs :) after his reviews and tests andatech even employed him as a sound tester :)

Last edited:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, I am very happy with the audio quality of Lumia 920 ... and the output volume is high enough (I am using 20 to 24 out from 30) ... yeah, me too, never use over 24 ...

Edit: GSMarena test is published 4th Dec. ... so it is pre Portico firmware ... just update your firmware and lissen by your own ears, to pick up the one :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_920-review-858p6.php

Last edited:

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
why do people say things like this? it is an honest statement , the sound output of the lumia 920 isn't the best at all and could be much better , I paid ?410 for the device , yet I can admit that it sounds ok ,it has a warm sound but it isn't the best in audio quality no way and there are other phones that perform much better including the iphones and galaxy 1 and galaxy 3 with their wolfson dsp chip that sound even better if you add voodoo sound or acid sound mods from the devs out there

a users has even linked a gsm arena scientific test where it clearly shows the 920 being below par yet users still reply with ''you suffer hearing damage'' everyones hearing is different yes but that doesn't mean the 920 is the bomb at audio and it may be loud for some people but when ran through tests it came out not great for a flagship device

Well said. Honestly, there are people here mindlessly defending it like they crafted the audio chip with their own bare hands. Evidence shows that it is not as good as an iPhone or Samsung chip, because they use proven superior chips. Its just a fact, there's no debating it and even if my hearing was "screwed" it wouldn't change a damn thing except for my volume problem.

Of course. There are people saying they like the audio and prefer it but that's fair enough, nobody can dispute that. But the gearing loss comments and "average sound" comments are nothing short of ****** rubbish.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
seriously?? have you used either? even compared them? you should check out the sgs1 or sgs3 with its wolfson sound chip ....... add voodoo sound to the mix and watch it blow you away!!!

Samsung Galaxy S III uses Wolfson audio chip | UnleashThePhones

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!

also the statement you made makes you look like you haven't used many phones or know much about the hardware the wolfson sound chips are known for being great in mobile phones , hence the uproar from users when the sgs2 used a Yamaha chip instead , Samsung soon switched back to wolfson :) supercico a reknowned dev has tested them scientifically loads and ripped them to pieces they offer great sound reproduction and audio outputs :) after his reviews and tests andatech even employed him as a sound tester :)
Had both phones for a period of time, non impressed me.
Not really a link guy either. Did a google search and I came up with at least 4 big sites in the top ten result, you may check it out yourselves.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well said. Honestly, there are people here mindlessly defending it like they crafted the audio chip with their own bare hands. Evidence shows that it is not as good as an iPhone or Samsung chip, because they use proven superior chips. Its just a fact, there's no debating it and even if my hearing was "screwed" it wouldn't change a damn thing except for my volume problem.

Of course. There are people saying they like the audio and prefer it but that's fair enough, nobody can dispute that. But the gearing loss comments and "average sound" comments are nothing short of ****** rubbish.

Really? Wow beat those professional ears, guess you must be some famous audiophile.

stoltenbergen

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
To get on topic; I have noticed the same or similar symptoms as OP when using a headset that is incompatible with a phone. With some headsets I have experienced an issue that can best be explained like this: It sounds like if someone has added a voice-removal-filter on the music.

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Confused about the volume comments. I currently have mine on 13, listening to a downloaded Nokia Music mix and it is easily loud enough. Plus the sound quality is superior to my previous Samsung WP7 device, miles better in fact. I am very happy with it.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you have a morsel of a clue what you're talking about.

View attachment 30922

I don't get too hung up on these reviews. Firstly the vast majority of reviews I see online are biased and secondly as already pointed out by another there is no detail here about which firmware was tested, or even when it was tested.

When posting information from sources as you have done, its best to name the source and the date, otherwise you come across as not having a morsel of a clue as to what you are talking about :)

Everyone is different - and from my perspective the Lumia 920 has the best sound of any phone I have ever used. Not saying it is the best because I have not used all phones of course. Overall this forum is great because actual personal experiences can be shared and I find them far more valuable than the rather useless data that you have provided.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh the engaget review, what do I need to say? Hmm, though you were anything good in audiophile group, disappointed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99