Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot, newer CPU and release

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so by saying I would be drawn to a WP8 device with higher specs, I'm a dum dum who doesn't understand memory allocation or clock speed vs. Number of cores?

In all seriousness, I still honestly want to know which apps - currently or in development - are available for WP8 that take advantage of faster hardware. For that matter, I'm not that familiar with current Android handsets - are there any apps that run noticeably better on better hardware there (assuming the two phones are on the same version of the OS)?

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ehmmm, yes, absolutely, however, I mentioned WP8 specifically multiple times, and was referring only to that OS! Memory management on Windows and WP are entirely different beasts. Everything I've said comes straight from MS' own WP dev docs, so it isn't really disputable. Your statements about premier and after affects are correct of course, but irrelevant for WP.

my sarcasm apparently didn't come through on that post - sorry :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so by saying I would be drawn to a WP8 device with higher specs, I'm a dum dum who doesn't understand memory allocation or clock speed vs. Number of cores?
Neither clock rate nor cores are reliable measures of CPU performance. Both are easily scalable and simplistic, which makes them perfect for marketing, just like megapixels.
I don't know if you're a dumb dumb. At least you are honest in saying that you buy into the spec sheet marketing BS.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In all seriousness, I still honestly want to know which apps - currently or in development - are available for WP8 that take advantage of faster hardware. For that matter, I'm not that familiar with current Android handsets - are there any apps that run noticeably better on better hardware there (assuming the two phones are on the same version of the OS)?

I think that is a trick question ;-)

Almost all WP8 apps could make use of faster hardware, but not if extra performance comes ONLY in the form of more cores, in which case the answer would likely be none at all.

On Android things are a bit different, because a lot more work is left to the general purpose computing cores instead of specialized co-processors. Current WP8 devices actually have seven cores, all of which are used extensively, two of which are general purpose computing cores. For this reason, and because Android supports unrestricted multitasking, having more cores will be more easily noticed on Android, but I still know of not a single Android app that makes good use of more than two cores.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Because people buy a phone that lasts 18 to 24 months. A Q1-2012 CPU is great for now, but how will it perform in 12 months or in 18 months?

When paying a premium price, you want the best for your money. When there are phones out there with Q4-2012 CPU and GPU and even Q1-2013 CPU and GPU that are 2x as fast (even if you don't need it now) for the same price. It is a bummer.

2 Years ago a lot of people, including myself, said "Who needs more than 8GB storage" and back then I was only using 2.4GB and 8GB seemed a lot. The more pictures I take, the more video I shoot, the more offline navigation I use, the more space is needed. I am now using 7.4GB.

Plus, from a marketing perspective it would be better to have a newer CPU+GPU.

Yeah, I don't understand some people's logic, either. "It works fine now, so let's never make any more advancements." That's just a silly thing to say/think. Or the other one, "I don't use more than 8GB so why should anyone else?"

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Almost all WP8 apps could make use of faster hardware, but not if extra performance comes ONLY in the form of more cores, in which case the answer would likely be none at all.

I guess what I meant is which apps would run perfectly fine (full speed) on a phone released today with, say a 1.8GHz dual or quad-core Snapdragon that would not run full-speed on the 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon in my 920? I suspect none, aside from possibly a few ms faster initial load time off a cold boot. I'm also guessing that any given chipset will no longer be able to run a new OS (and new apps with new minimum requirements) long before processor performance becomes an issue. If everyone's timing everything appropriately, that would be a ~2-year cycle to coincide with contract lengths, plus probably a year buffer for laggards who don't want to trade up immediately.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't understand some people's logic, either. "It works fine now, so let's never make any more advancements."

That's not what we're saying. It's not that tech shouldn't move forward, it's a matter of which specs to care about. I'm proposing that there's no good reason for the consumer to care about the CPU speed/cores in a phone, or consider it when choosing a device. Or, most annoyingly, use it to try to convince other people (especially on other platforms) that their phone is better because of it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't understand some people's logic, either. "It works fine now, so let's never make any more advancements." That's just a silly thing to say/think. Or the other one, "I don't use more than 8GB so why should anyone else?"

I too want to state that you've completely misunderstood the argument. I too want advancements, but I want advancements that matter.

I couldn't care less about a simple bump up from an 8MP to a 13MP camera, or a crippled and throttled pseudo octa-core CPU that will be no better at running our apps than the CPUs we already have available today. However, as long as consumers buy into this nonsense, and the industry doesn't have to do more to sell the masses on new gadgets, why bother?

How many of you realize that megapixels, core count and CPU clock rates are all things that are easily scaled solely through improved manufacturing processes? That means they require comparatively little real engineering effort, read, low risk and predictable time to market. It's no coincidence that it is precisely these metrics that are put front and center by the hardware industry and thus figure so prominently on their marketing/spec sheets. Unfortunately, after a certain point, further scaling of those metrics offer little real world returns. We have crossed that point in all those metrics, which is why they are now largely irrelevant for everything but marketing, which unfortunately continues to work just fine.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hate to break it to you guys but mobile quad core is NOT quad core. So all this excitement and debate is misguided. They're more like two dual cores in parallel...

The difference being, one set is battery saving the other is for power.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hate to break it to you guys but mobile quad core is NOT quad core. So all this excitement and debate is misguided. They're more like two dual cores in parallel...

The difference being, one set is battery saving the other is for power.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Nope, you are the one that is misguided. To my knowledge, no such mobile quad core CPU, with a 2+2 big.LITTLE configuration, exists. I know only of 4+1 and Samsung's upcoming 4+4 configurations. Every mobile quad core SoC I know of comes with a real quad core CPU. All of Qualcomm's quad core offerings certainly are. Not too hard to look it up on the manufacturers websites.

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
928... Bad name. Porsche 928. The 928 was a major Flop for Porsche. I doubt that the 928 will deliver if they make it in the same Chinese factory as the 920...

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's see - HTC, Samsung, Sony (to an extent), Apple, and Blackberry have all released their 2013 flagships on all carriers. Let's see whether Nokia gets with the times or not on this phone. I'm going to predict they won't. Yes I know the carriers share some blame for this, but evidently the others above have managed somehow to overcome any obstacles.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Because the 920 is such bad quality? That's not what basically every review and user opinion and youtube video has said/shown. I can't imagine more than 0.01% of potential buyers are going to associate it with a Porsche frlast made nearly 20 years ago lol

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Let's see whether Nokia gets with the times or not on this phone. I'm going to predict they won't. Yes I know the carriers share some blame for this, but evidently the others above have managed somehow to overcome any obstacles.

I agree, but you are missing one very important point. The price! In the U.S., the Z10 is selling for $200 on contract, despite being last years tech. The Z10 contains practically the same SoC as the L920, which cost half that price when it was brand new. The L920 is now free!

That price advantage exists only due to exclusivity! The real question has nothing at all to do with 'getting with the time's', but whether Nokia thinks maintaining that price advantage is more important than a 'universal' launch. Based on what we're hearing, that seems to be the case.

Why Apple and Samsung can do universal launches shouldn't require further explanation.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but you are missing one very important point. The price! In the U.S., the Z10 is selling for $200 on contract, despite being last years tech. The Z10 contains practically the same SoC as the L920, which cost half that price when it was brand new. The L920 is now free!

That price advantage exists only due to exclusivity! The real question has nothing at all to do with 'getting with the time's', but whether Nokia thinks maintaining that price advantage is more important than a 'universal' launch. Based on what we're hearing, that seems to be the case.

Why Apple and Samsung can do universal launches should need to be explained any more.

I've seen the 920 get some friendly reviews but haven't seen anything to indicate it's a huge success or even if it's sales have anything at all to do with exclusivity. And it isn't just apple and Samsung. ALL of the OEMs are launching their flagships universally this year.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot ! ! ! !! ! .....(from twitter)

After dealing with SD card on my Samsung Epic, slow refresh slow app loads, slow boot while it tries to read it, i'll take a 32 gb phone with no sd card. I only have 6 or so GB of music that I travel with, so that is more than enough for pics, loading a movie or two for the kids now and then and applications. I know why the OEMs are not having them, so the speed is there at all times from the faster onboard flash memory.
I hope it is 32 PLUS SD card.. then I would only have to use the SD card for movies and such, it would also be easier to move the media to it from a PC/laptop
slow speeds from a Micro SD cards are caused by a low end/speed card. chances are you used the typical class 4 or even class 2 card... you will spend a few more bucks but should definitely buy class 6 or 10 Micro SD card because of transfer speeds. most lower priced cards are class 4. also depends if the device can take advantage of the faster card (most newer device can)

Class 4 = 4mbps
Class 10 = 10mpbs

that being said.... I don't see a logical need for a phone to have over 32gb lol

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot ! ! ! !! ! .....(from twitter)

slow speeds from a Micro SD cards are caused by a low end/speed card. chances are you used the typical class 4 or even class 2 card... you will spend a few more bucks but should definitely buy class 6 or 10 Micro SD card because of transfer speeds. most lower priced cards are class 4. also depends if the device can take advantage of the faster card (most newer device can)

Class 4 = 4mbps
Class 10 = 10mpbs

that being said.... I don't see a logical need for a phone to have over 32gb lol

Like I always say, it doesn't hurt to have options. Someone out there might need over 32gb. I know I like to have more than I probably will use just for comfort sake.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the 920 get some friendly reviews but haven't seen anything to indicate it's a huge success or even if it's sales have anything at all to do with exclusivity. And it isn't just apple and Samsung. ALL of the OEMs are launching their flagships universally this year.

If you're saying that Nokia's strategy, which revolves around undercutting their competitions price points for similarly spec'ed devices, is misguided, then I can't argue with that. I don't have any data and don't know how Nokia would have done had each of their devices been $50 - $100 more expensive across the board... however they are the undisputed WP8 sales leader, which price may be at least partially responsible for, no?

All I'm saying is that Nokia has consistently undercut their competitions price points for similarly spec'ed devices and that was only possible due to exclusivity.

Whether that was worth the exclusivity deals I do not know, but since Nokia seems to be continuing down that path, I would assume it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers