Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot, newer CPU and release

locokip

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot ! ! ! !! ! .....(from twitter)

Thanks. I never realized the "class" had to do with speed. I thought it was just some internal coding that differed for some proprietary reason.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It'll be great then, too - these are phone apps it's running, not Crysis or Maya. It's only the very specialized apps that are written to take advantage of a fast CPU. If a dev really wants to sell an app, they make it run just fine on a two-year old processor, because that's the lifespan of an average carrier contract and the goal is to get it on as many handsets as possible. If you're doing something that's taxing the processor on your phone that much, you should probably consider a laptop for that task.

If that is indeed the case. The Lumia 610, which was released in April/May 2012 and is less than a year old, should run everything smoothly. At least till April/May 2014. But it is already struggling and can't run all the basic apps!

Although most apps won't need more than a dual-core and 1GB ram and probably won't need it for another 12 months. The market will change and when customers are paying high-end prices, they do expect the latest hardware.

Today’s high end phone is next year’s midrange phone and the low end of the year after.

Especially because Microsoft has the potential to market the WP as a gaming device that works well with the Xbox and next generation Xbox, it would be great to see the latest CPU+GPU+RAM.

Whether it is needed or not. I really hope Nokia comes with a quad-core phone, just for the free publicity of being the first WP that has quad-core. WP really needs more marketing (outside the USA).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If that is indeed the case. The Lumia 610, which was released in April/May 2012 and is less than a year old, should run everything smoothly. At least till April/May 2014. But it is already struggling and can't run all the basic apps!

IMHO your post is full of (understandable) misconceptions, but I will only mention this one for now:

We were talking about the inability of current hardware to run future apps. Your example with WP7 completely changes that subject, because the reason WP7 is 'struggling', as you call it, is software, NOT at all hardware!

Every app that is compatible with the WP7 OS runs just fine though. Those apps aren't struggling. They most certainly aren't struggling due to hardware limitations, not even now, two years after the first WP7 device was released!

This demonstrates some differences between WP and in particular Android, which can also explain why your other points are based on false reasoning.

Last edited:

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
IMHO your post is full of (understandable) misconceptions, but I will only mention this one for now:

We were talking about the inability of current hardware to run future apps. Your example with WP7 completely changes that subject, because the reason WP7 is 'struggling', as you call it, is software, NOT at all hardware!

Every app that is compatible with the WP7 OS however, that runs great, n struggling at all, and this over two years after the first WP7 device was released!

This demonstrates some differences between WP and in particular Android, which can also explain why your other points are based on false reasoning.

This was one month after it's release Nokia Lumia 610 can't install Angry Birds, Skype and more | CNET UK and months before WP8 came out.

In 2 years time a basic dual-core with 512mb will not be enough on a WP! By then a basic quad-core with 1GB ram will probally not be enough for Android ;)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My use of my Epic may have been a bad choice, I didn't put in the mSD. It came with it from the OEM (which implies it shouldn't be crap). I was a bad nerd and I've never even checked to see what class it is. never the less, on board flash will also be faster than an SD card.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This was one month after it's release Nokia Lumia 610 can't install Angry Birds, Skype and more | CNET UK and months before WP8 came out.

In 2 years time a basic dual-core with 512mb will not be enough on a WP! By then a basic quad-core with 1GB ram will probally not be enough for Android ;)

As a5cent said, this has to do with the software divide between WP7 and WP8. Different architecture means different hardware requirements and different usage of the hardware (in this case, a lot more efficiently). MS at some point said that all current WP8 phones will be able to run the next major rev of WP, meaning you won't have similar problems for at least another year (probably more, unless they have to do another full rewrite for some reason). It has nothing to do with the processor speed or number of cores. If anything, I'd say the biggest hardware hurdle was that WP7's max resolution for the screen was less than the minimum spec for WP8's.

There's a big difference between "I literally can NOT install this app on my phone" and "I can install the app on my phone, but it runs like crap". This article is a case of the former. What I'm talking about is the latter, which I've seen no evidence of on the WP platform.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
But you know if they named it a cooler name there would be no chance for the competition man. :)
Its 920 + Windows phone 8 . :)

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 27GB on my ipod. I'd like a phone with removable storage so I could replace that and only carry my phone, not phone and ipod. I know I could cut down on what I sync, but I shouldn't have to. 16 or 32GB of internal memory doesn't matter to me as long as it will accept at least a 32GB microSD card. I'm trying to purge my ios devices haha, already replaced ipad with Thinkpad Tablet 2. ipod is next hopefully.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As a5cent said, this has to do with the software divide between WP7 and WP8.

Mirtas, thanks for citing a specific example.

You fear future apps may not run well on current WP8 hardware. You think getting a quad core WP8 device now will remedy that problem. That is wrong for many many many reasons, but again, I'll concentrate just on the one example you provided. You cited Angry Birds as a precedent for such a problem in WP's past, because Angry Birds didn't run on the L610 on the day it was released. This is why that argument doesn't work:

1)
WP8 and WP7 devices are each available in two different RAM configurations. Either as 1 GB or 512 MB models (WP8) or 512 MB and 256 MB models (WP7). Microsoft was always upfront and clear about the limitations of those devices with less RAM: they will run any normal app, but not necessarily every game. The L610, the device you cited, is precisely such a 256 MB model! It was never intended to run every possible game. Therefor, this example has no bearing on the argument you are trying to make:

Anyone who buys a 512 MB WP8 device today, and one year from now claims that the devices is outdated because it can't run every game, is severely bending the truth. Again, it was never intended to play every game, from the outset! The only honest statement is to say it was under spec'ed from the outset, at least for its intended purpose.

2)
In the case of Angry Birds, the CPU was never a problem. It was only ever about this RAM limitation. However, a later update solved the problem. Now, Angry Birds runs just fine on WP7 devices with 256 MB of RAM. In all honesty, what this really shows is that there NEVER was a hardware problem of any kind! This was just sloppy programming.

3)
The point is, you can't cite an example in WP's past where the issue you're raising was ever a problem. Although the past can't be used to predict the future, this should at least show you that WP, at least so far, isn't really comparable to Android in this regard.

I'm guessing you are taking experiences made in the Android world and applying them WP. That simply doesn't work. How Microsoft manages WP as a combined and standardized hardware/software platform is simply too different.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have only done a cursory glance of this thread, but A5cent is pretty well on the mark. The only thing I would disagree with is the comment about sloppy programming. Sometimes even good code needs to be made better to fit within the 90 MB limitation for apps that run on 256 MB devices. I don't recall the limit for other devices, but one of my apps was rejected for violating that limit - even though my app never exceeded 90MB - it used background task, and those aren't supported on 256 MB devices. At Microsoft's testing, though, that's the error it threw, so that's the message they sent me.

Anyway, yes, there is a RAM limitation, as well as no background task limitation for the 256 MB devices. So no, not every app or game was ever intended to run on every phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have only done a cursory glance of this thread, but A5cent is pretty well on the mark. The only thing I would disagree with is the comment about sloppy programming. Sometimes even good code needs to be made better to fit within the 90 MB limitation for apps that run on 256 MB devices.

And sometimes, it just comes down to sloppy programming :-D

Completely agree though, that sloppy programming isn't necessarily and certainly not always the case. Man oh man, this forum is keeping me awake long past my bedtime today!

.Anyway, yes, there is a RAM limitation, as well as no background task limitation for the 256 MB devices. So no, not every app or game was ever intended to run on every phone.

What did you do? Isn't the normal approach to simply not register the background task in such situations, and have the app run anyway, just without an automatically updating live tile?

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I did. I'd just forgotten about this limitation because I hadn't done anything before that mattered with low men devices.

Last night (actually very early this morning) I finally submitted my first app designed for WP 8. Redone from the ground up, and using speech commands. We'll see if I missed anything. Doing this on the side and in my spare time, I've been working on it since thanksgiving.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^ *raises glass* Congratulations! And thanks for supporting WP! May your efforts be richly rewarded!
Meh... I don't expect much. The past two years I've had 4 apps in the store, and each year gleaned me around $220. $99 each year went to pay for the "honor" of developing for WP, so I'm not getting much for my time... But that's ok. I do believe in the platform, and I'm using these apps to teach myself, so I can work into a better gig.

FYI, when it gets aapproved PlusPoints Pro, for WP 8 only, will add voice command to my Weight Watchers points calculating and tracking app. It will also be my first paid app (with unlimited trial). The paid feature removes the ads. My prior apps have all been free / ad supported.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^Yeah, I know. Pretty much standard situation, but still better than many others. All the more reason to wish you luck!

Thanks for the FYI, always good to get your take on the situation!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium