All set for 820 but waiting for 720

dinesh_altius

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey there guys. Cheers from India.
Is there anyone like me, who was almost all set to buy 820 but Nokia's announcement of Lumia 720 has pushed back your buying?

In fact I had pre-ordered Lumia 820 Red from a local store and had to cancel it after seeing 720. If not for 720, I would be playing with my 820 now :cry:. I'm still in a fix coz 820 is still luring me and 720 (without considering the ram) is irresistible with its fantastic rear camera and excellent front camera :love:, which makes the skype calls all the more greater, and still a worthy device to consider considering its price tag. I'm not a big fan of mobile gaming and I prefer playing games on my PC to mobile gaming. Having said that most of the Gameloft games like Real Soccer 2013, The Amazing Spider-Man, Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour,Asphalt 7: Heat,The Dark Knight Rises etc. won't be compatible with 720's 512 ram (This is for people who love mobile gaming). Here's a setback for 720 lovers. It has become obsolete even before it got released :cry:

With 512 mb of ram which could be a deterrent in a longer run. It's okay if I can't play HD games but if Microsoft says only 1GB ram devices can be up-gradable to next generation of OS's, then my device will become obsolete by April 2014. Because the minimum ram for wp8 devices is 512mb (we haven't seen any wp8 device with 256 mb ram). If current wp8 has 512 mb minimum ram, then naturally next version will require at-least 1gb of ram (I'm just guessing here and could be wrong). All I want is future upgrade to windows phone 9 or blue or whatever name they call it.

I believe some of you would have faced the same dilemma as I've. Kindly let me know your thoughts :confused:

Cheers:love:

krishna6233

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
720 wil get the next version of windws update .....i dont think RAM wil b a problem(except for big games) until real multitaskin comes to wp8

lomax_hjs

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
mhhh, good point
Maybe the Ativ S already for sale under 400 in germany is a better choice.
Then again, samsung and updatezzzz

max in wp

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
hi,I come from china,i dont worry about the update on lumia 720, the microsoft said that all wp8 phones will update to next OS,may be called blue,or wp9,so lumia 720 must be included.Actully,i planed to buy lumia 620,but when i see the 720 on mwc2013,i was impressed by this phone because of it's front camera and 720 looks very very pretty ,:winktongue: hope can help you :grin:

theotherskipper

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
dinesh, I know exactly what you mean. ebay.com is selling both the 720 and 820 for almost the same price so I'm sort of in a similar dilemma. The thing that I like the most about the 720 though is its design. Although it's very similar to the 820, the subtle differences give it a much better look imo.

About yer problem, it really depends on what you value more. As far as I know, WP is designed in such a way that on the OS side you won't see much of a difference between the 720 and 820. I'm not saying there won't be any difference, but for most average users I think it'll be barely noticeable. But if yer the kind of person who might get very annoyed about small delays in opening/resuming apps, then I guess you should just go for the 820. And as other members already pointed out, all WP8 devices should be able to upgrade to the next version so don't worry about that.
Regarding the camera, I don't know... are you the kind of person who takes a lot of photos? If yes, then the 720 wins. 720 will also give you better performance on the battery front.

So I guess it comes down to this... a very good phone with a decent camera or a decent phone with a very good camera. hope this helps :)

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
same situation here.. the only thing that makes me not buying 820 today is that 720 uses gorilla glass and an IPS LCD.. i'm not into AMOLED(s)...
don't care about RAM and Procie clocks.. not planning on playing games on a phone..
too bad i still have to wait for the 720 to be released here :\

Last edited:

MrSchneiderish

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd just order the 720 (not available in Germany yet) if I had a comparison between the 820 and 720. I mean something like a review...or just some camera comparisons between the 820 and 720 :)
There are pretty good deals for the 820 on ebay right now and my contract will expand in a few days.

Please Nokia, I have realy big 1st world problems with your devices!

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Having tested both (and currently owning both), I prefer the Lumia 720. Here are my thoughts:

• LUMIA 720
  • better overall weight
  • better form-factor and feel
  • way better battery life
  • much better physical buttons
  • better camera in both daylight and low-light
  • better slippery feel on screen
  • nicer "blacks" on screen
  • just a beautiful phone
  • LUMIA 820
  • faster overall (higher clocked CPU)
  • 1GB of RAM (vs 512MB, though not really a huge issue in the real world)
  • a fair bit heavier, for those who prefer that
  • swappable shells

I'm currently writing up a Lumia 720 review, for those who care :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-720/224750-my-first-2-weeks-lumia-720-review.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans