Lumia 920 on T-Mobile USA now?

Dean Macke

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure many of you saw the news about T-Mobile today and most of it was around how they were getting the iPhone. For me, that's not the most exciting phone NOT on T-Mobile, the Lumia 920 is. Does anyone know if this announcement makes running a Lumia 920 on T-Mobile USA any easier and more compatible?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Only the Rogers 920 will work best on Tmo, nothing has changed. Though I wonder if Tmo will follow normal protocol and ignore WP now they have the coveted iphone.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Apple updated the iPhone to add the AWS frequencies that Tmo uses alongside the same frequencies it's always been using for AT&T. Nothing has changed network-wise (not counting new plans and such)

So the 920? Same situation it has been as of late: you have to wait for them to "refarm" the frequencies in your area so that they use the 1900 band that the 920 and all AT&T phones use. If you hear of someone getting 3G/4G on their current unlocked AT&T iPhone on T-Mobile in your area then your 920 will work. It seems to be a very slow process though.

While not official, and likely not completely exhaustive since everybody would have to know about this site, www.airportal.de has a map where users report areas they've found refarmed bands in.

xirsteon

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to sound like a moron here,but say I visit airport.de, enter my address, I see an orange diamond icon over my area (subsection). Does this mean that area covered by the orange diamond shape is re-farmed for 1900?? I want to say yes to my own ? but the website doesn't make it too clear after performing the search.

Also, say I have an unlocked 920 from Rogers, What speed will have once I wander out of the re-farmed area? regular Edge? 3G?

Nope. Apple updated the iPhone to add the AWS frequencies that Tmo uses alongside the same frequencies it's always been using for AT&T. Nothing has changed network-wise (not counting new plans and such)

So the 920? Same situation it has been as of late: you have to wait for them to "refarm" the frequencies in your area so that they use the 1900 band that the 920 and all AT&T phones use. If you hear of someone getting 3G/4G on their current unlocked AT&T iPhone on T-Mobile in your area then your 920 will work. It seems to be a very slow process though.

While not official, and likely not completely exhaustive since everybody would have to know about this site, www.airportal.de has a map where users report areas they've found refarmed bands in.

blost

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The dev unit 920s from BUILD support all freq of tmobile and att, so you would have more than just the extremes of lte and edge. The first gen Rogers phones were essentially the same, just carrier branded. I stopped looking into it all after I got one off eBay so I'm not sure if there is any way to distinguish between the first gen and subsequent releases on eBay unless they show the box with the frequencies listed. As another option you might want to search a bit on flashing the firmware if you get a new version phone, this thread had some info on that regarding Rogers 920 on T-Mobile, not sure if it opens all bands but if it's an option you are considering you may want to ask here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-rogers-lumia-920-euro-dev-1308-firmware.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos