AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 1308 firmware update Questions, Comments, and Bugs

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The interesting thing to me is that AT&T always has the updates in their possession for at least a week up to, sometimes forever, before they release them. The excuse is that they need to test any updates on their network. Well, I find it hard to believe that they did any testing on this update. There seems to be enough people having the problem that it should have come up with any network "testing".

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update all. I don't have twitter, but wish I did sometimes...at least for things like this.
This is a huge issue/bug/glitch and hopefully a fix comes soon.

At least someone with Nokia has acknowledged it. I keep checking for a news article from WP Central as they normally do that, but nothing has been posted yet.

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update all. I don't have twitter, but wish I did sometimes...at least for things like this.
This is a huge issue/bug/glitch and hopefully a fix comes soon.

At least someone with Nokia has acknowledged it. I keep checking for a news article from WP Central as they normally do that, but nothing has been posted yet.

I'm suprised that WP Central has not mentioned anything on their main page either, I can see this impacting alot of people that don't have good LTE service in their area and the phone is refusing to switch to other bands. my phone switched from LTE to 4G for a moment and I was getting good connection, now its back to LTE and can't even load twitter.

m0unds

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm suprised that WP Central has not mentioned anything on their main page either, I can see this impacting alot of people that don't have good LTE service in their area and the phone is refusing to switch to other bands. my phone switched from LTE to 4G for a moment and I was getting good connection, now its back to LTE and can't even load twitter.

it's pretty bad in areas even with solid LTE - my device will only intermittently pass traffic regardless

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
ya I think its safe to say that it will be monday at the earliest that we'll hear anything official about this. Ive tried to mess with my phone some more but outside of wifi I get no data signal at all. so I turned it off and will use my 4s until an update is pushed out to fix the update.

m0unds

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
i'm attempting to revert back to 1249, i guess we'll see how this goes.

i reverted back to 1249 using the recovery process outlined in the bricked phone sticky. it supposedly voids the warranty on the device, but at least it's usable again. data works normally, sms and mms are arriving and it's not running hot. i probably would have just beared with it til nokia released a statement or whatever, but i need my phone for work.

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the Phone "land line" with AT&T, we are not alone. I was told, for whatever it's worth, Nokia may be "backtracking the firmware" their words not mine.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
i reverted back to 1249 using the recovery process outlined in the bricked phone sticky. it supposedly voids the warranty on the device, but at least it's usable again. data works normally, sms and mms are arriving and it's not running hot. i probably would have just beared with it til nokia released a statement or whatever, but i need my phone for work.
It won't void the warranty, but it is hugely inconvenient (you need to redownload your apps, which sometimes get "stuck" in some weird way while re-downloading themselves after recovery process, then you need to re-arrange stuff, etc.)...
As for needing phone for work - you should always have a working spare, just in case, even if it will be a cheap unlocked "dumb" phone ;-)

m0unds

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
It won't void the warranty, but it is hugely inconvenient (you need to redownload your apps, which sometimes get "stuck" in some weird way while re-downloading themselves after recovery process, then you need to re-arrange stuff, etc.)...
As for needing phone for work - you should always have a working spare, just in case, even if it will be a cheap unlocked "dumb" phone ;-)

good to know about the warranty + flashing thing. i honestly wasn't sure whether it would or not, since it doesn't seem like there'd be any reason they'd need to analyze your your phone's software if you return a device for warranty replacement, but stranger things have happened.

the recovery process was fine, aside from a bunch of stuff getting stuck as you mentioned. this happened with WP7 too, and it's silly that it's still an issue. however, everything i use regularly downloaded automatically, and the couple of things w/data backup (e.g. checkbook/ledger stuff) was backed up to skydrive, so it was just a matter of recovering the data for those apps. pretty painless, significantly less annoying than the song and dance of letting google restore every app you've ever used (even stuff from previous devices) or using a third party utility to restore apps + data :)

i have a working dumb phone for backup, but i also need the applications on the device so the inconvenience of wiping the device to reflash was less than the inconvenience of carrying a moto razr v3xx around with me while i wait for nokia to figure out what's going on ;)

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

good to know that it works. Was it painful or pretty straight forward?

If this isn't resolved soon I am going to do it too. My phone is completely useless at work now and a few other places.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So just to get a general consensus, should I avoid upgrading to 1308 for the moment when my 920 arrives in the mail on Monday?

I would wait until Nokia will say something about it... Aside from "storage check" feature there's not much difference anyway, and even the "storage check" is not very useful (it was only able to free up the 500MB or so, my "Other" location is still close to 4GB in size).

m0unds

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
good to know that it works. Was it painful or pretty straight forward?

If this isn't resolved soon I am going to do it too. My phone is completely useless at work now and a few other places.

it was easy, just go to the sticky outlining the flashing process, make sure you've watched the video a couple times if you're unfamiliar with what you need to do and select the 1249 build instead of the one he mentions in the thread. worked perfectly. the restore of stuff took longer than the flash.

after it was all done, i just suppressed the update notifications and disabled automatic download of updates.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I noticed my phone freezing up after update and I uninstalled WWF and everything is fine. For the record,before update, I was having problems with my 920 freezing up when I would be internet sharing and the Bluetooth paired to my car. If I got out of car and shut the door(opening door disconnects Bluetooth) it would freeze up. So far that's not an issue anymore and phone runs great. Im going to monitor this data situation but so far im loving this update. You know, this alsmost reminds me of when I first had an evo 4g on sprint...similar issues.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The connection issues have not gotten any better. I thought they were but I was wrong. This update really screwed up my phone. I love my phone and WP8, but man, this really sucks bad. Outside of WiFi, nothing is reliable. Even when the phone shows bars and LTE, it may not actually be connected.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720