New Lumia, migrate apps and data, pretty darn cool

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I experienced something I've never done before and was so impressed I just had to share. I needed to replace my Lumia 920 after a failure of part of the screen from one too many hard falls. Of course, I bought another Lumia 920. I reset the "old" one to factory settings, moved the SIM card to the new phone and turned it on. After signing in, I was offered the chance to Restore my phone or start over and I chose restore and then happily watched all of my photos and songs and docs and apps fill up the phone. The media files arrived quickly. The apps took a while and there were a few that wouldn't migrate at all, but nothing I was using any more. There were a few settings that didn't migrate, and I did have to arrange the tiles the way I wanted, but it was really cool to see the new phone have pretty much the same functionality of the old one without much effort on my part. I've seen my Start Screen settings move from on Windows 8 machine to another, but that really isn't as neat as watching all your media, data and apps move like magic.

blackbriar511

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got my cyan blue 920 yesterday, I couldn't migrate all of my apps because I was going from windows 7.5, but it was fun to see all of my contacts and photos from skydrive show up.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's even more impressive if you had more than one phone (you get multiple backups and when you reset and restore, it asks which one to restore). The only thing missing is backing up the start screen config and allowing apps to save certain things to a roaming data location that gets backed up. just so apps can backup settings as well.

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I should have mentioned that too. All of my e-mail, texts, and voicemails (including messages I hadn't listened to yet and my voicemail history) all moved to the new phone as well! Neat stuff!

EggoEspada

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea, it's pretty cool. It's not as perfect as Apple's implementation where it restores everything and has your phone set up exactly how it was before. But it is miles better than Android's implementation -- or lack of. Pretty convenient. I just hope the next big update includes arranging your tiles and all your settings -- not just some -- back to how it was set up before.

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
So where did everything move from? Your settings/backup on Nokia.com or hotmail? Or you just popped your sim from one phone to another and it did that automatically?

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The restore comes from turning on the automatic backup feature in Settings. If you click the help link on that screen, it takes you to a Microsoft webpage, so the backup must be handled by Microsoft and not Nokia. It is more than Hotmail, but I've noticed the backup feature is granular, allowing you to pick and choose what to backup. I'm happy I selected everything.

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
The backup/restore function of WP8 is nice, but lacking. It NEEDS to have either the option of enabling WIFI on initial activation, or else the option to manually restore apps later.

I have never been able to use the app restore feature because the phone does not properly configure for my network until after I run nokia access point.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
There's still no method to migrate game saved data from phone to phone or to keep after a phone hard reset. A few game devs have implemented a "Save to SkyDrive" feature, but not having a way to do a complete (local or cloud) backup or some sort of universal save game method is unacceptable. It's one of those things I couldn't even fathom when I had to swap my Lumia given that there's some method for this on every other competing platform. Not having a method to backup via PC is especially egregious given that this is coming from Microsoft. It's a good thing I'm not too big of a mobile gamer. My kids were pretty ticked when I handed them my phone to play around the next time after the replacement.

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Can someone confirm how to migrate text messages from WP7.8->wp8? I have an old hd7 laying around which I'd like to import texts into my 925 then 1520...

Thanks

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The backup/restore function of WP8 is nice, but lacking. It NEEDS to have either the option of enabling WIFI on initial activation, or else the option to manually restore apps later.

I have never been able to use the app restore feature because the phone does not properly configure for my network until after I run nokia access point.

Wi-Fi on startup before activation was enabled in GDR3 (so developer track or Black update)

KevFranklin

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I recently upgraded from a 920 to a 1020 and like most people here thought the automatic migration of Apps/ Photos etc was fantastic. HOWEVER, there are 2 main gripes
1. Like most other people reported here, the feature does not automatically pin/ arrange tiles on the Home screen.
2. A bug. In my new 1020, my text history has been restored BUT in my old conversations (and it seems like it only applies to people with Firstname & Lastname contact), there is an extra recipient <"Lastname> (ie the " character is included). Does anyone have any suggestions why this is the case? If I click on the <"Lastname> field they have a profile but with no other details. I also checked my contacts to see if these mysterious entries were there and they are not. It doesn't seem to affect contacts who have just a Firstname profile.
It was interesting to see that on my old 920 sitting there with no SIM card in it but still connected to WiFi, my new text message conversations are synced back from my new 1020....understandable but a bit wierd....and here is the funny part....on the 920, the *new* txt messages synced back from my 1020 have the same mysterious "Lastname issue as in 2. above - even though all the old ones are OK on this
Any ideas how to fix it ??

ThePKReddy

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Transfer my data app didn't work for me as the Bluetooth from HD7 TMous..to 925 connection failed 😞 I will see if I can connect from HD7--> 1520, then 925-> 1520 for a hopefully consolidated text data..

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Settings never stay the same nor tile configuration when you switch to a new phone that's the same model. I had to do it 6 times with the 920.

Sent from my badass Nokia Lumia 928 Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb