Any Rogers Lumia 920 users got 1308 update?

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone said on this thread that 1308 on Rogers =1314 on att... That sounds wrong. Can anyone confirm
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I never found speed to be that great, even tethered (though I remember a bit better result while tethered). What are the speeds supposed to be at? (note: the faster test was in Feb, 2013 whereas the slower one is after 1308)

I recalled doing a few speed tests late last year and got as high as 19mb/sec on a few rare occassions. But I was usually in the lower to mid teens for the most part. I'm downtown Toronto btw.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Since the update my speed is all over the place, testing in the same spot, 5mb/sec, then 14, then back down to 5, also downtown Toronto. Also, I miss the rattle vibrate, so weird, but I actually got used to the sound, so now when my 920 vibrates it sounds weird to me.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's hope that update 1314 update comes to Rogers. Fingers crossed. I can't personally say I miss the vibrate rattle lol. Though I admit I got used to it. I feel like they cut my vibrate intensity in half on the 1308 update.

Can any speculate if data issues could cause issues with your avatar being displayed properly in the Games hub? I bought an outfit that won't suddenly won't display on my L920 but shows fine on the console. No idea why..

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
how long should the circle spin before displaying actual data in storage check? my phone seems to spin its circle FOREVER.

No idea but when I did mine I had about 7gb free space available and it ran for maybe a minute at most. I would probably reset my phone or go to the home screen if it were me and try again.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok so here's something odd. Just got an update for the "network+" setting. After installing it I opened it to see if anything had changed. Call waiting and call forwarding are now greyed out (before they weren't). It says on the top of the screen that call settings don't work on 4G and to switch to them on I need to change to the highest connection possible in the cellular settings. I've gone into "celluar" and LTE is set as my highest connection speed. Wtf.

Anyone else notice this. Not sure if it's related to our data issues from 1308. Btw, I'm on Rogers and I'm downtown Toronto.

same with rogers L920 on ATT
if you set highest speed to 3g, call waiting button comes back, but the call forward disappears altogether.

not sure this is a problem. it doesnt say u need to set the highest speed for it to work. it says it doesnt work on 4G, which is LTE. so nothing contradictory.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recalled doing a few speed tests late last year and got as high as 19mb/sec on a few rare occassions. But I was usually in the lower to mid teens for the most part. I'm downtown Toronto btw.

sucks, iphone5 on Rogers in Montreal hit 60.... So something wrong with our phone data speeds since the beginning? :)

I'm in Vancouver

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I imagine this is just another problem due to the connectivity issue but is anybody else getting wonky results through Bing with regards to location? I searched Tim Hortons and got no local search results. Same goes for when I searched CN Tower.
If I search something like Italian or Mexican I'll usually get something but even this,morning the results came up as though I was I Niagara Falls....Im in Toronto.

Anybody else have similar results?
I'm sure its all due to the connectivity issue and it will likely be issued a fix soon.....but still...anybody else?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I imagine this is just another problem due to the connectivity issue but is anybody else getting wonky results through Bing with regards to location? I searched Tim Hortons and got no local search results. Same goes for when I searched CN Tower.
If I search something like Italian or Mexican I'll usually get something but even this,morning the results came up as though I was I Niagara Falls....Im in Toronto.

Anybody else have similar results?
I'm sure its all due to the connectivity issue and it will likely be issued a fix soon.....but still...anybody else?

not bing, but for some reason my location on Flixster is constantly set to Wasaga Beach, even though I'm in Toronto. Refreshing it doesn't help. But I doubt it has to do with the network.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 920 yesterday evening, sold my S3 for it...best move i ever made. Anyway, i never used it before with previous FW version but my current is so far working flawless (no connectivity drops). However, what i do find odd is that even though i'm picking 3G as my highest level network selection, its still picking 4G. Is this common?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 920 yesterday evening, sold my S3 for it...best move i ever made. Anyway, i never used it before with previous FW version but my current is so far working flawless (no connectivity drops). However, what i do find odd is that even though i'm picking 3G as my highest level network selection, its still picking 4G. Is this common?

Odd. But I'm not sure many people would select 3G over LTE when LTE is available (unless you have little to no data plan I suppose).

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

The terms 3G and 4G mean nothing with today's carriers unless we're talking about 4G LTE. 3G includes HSPA and HSPA+ in many countries. But one of the American carriers started branding HSPA+ as 4G to fool it's customers and new customers into thinking 4G was better than 3G. It's actually the same technology but with greater bandwidth.

Since then many Canadian carriers have had to rebrand their HSPA+ (3G) networks to 4G HSPA+. Then LTE came. And now they're calling that 4G LTE.

So when you're device says 4G, it really means HSPA+ which is technically 3G. When it says LTE, it means 4G LTE. When it says 3G, it means HSPA. And E is Edge. There are a couple of revisions in between each.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Odd. But I'm not sure many people would select 3G over LTE when LTE is available (unless you have little to no data plan I suppose).

With my S3, when connected on LTE my battery wouldn't last a full 8 hour day at work...and that was under light use with notifications turned off. And yes, my data plan is very limited but plan to increase it in the near future. Right now im picking 3G over LTE to conserve battery more than anything else...Since i just got the phone im trying to work "it in".

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The terms 3G and 4G mean nothing with today's carriers unless we're talking about 4G LTE. 3G includes HSPA and HSPA+ in many countries. But one of the American carriers started branding HSPA+ as 4G to fool it's customers and new customers into thinking 4G was better than 3G. It's actually the same technology but with greater bandwidth.

Since then many Canadian carriers have had to rebrand their HSPA+ (3G) networks to 4G HSPA+. Then LTE came. And now they're calling that 4G LTE.

So when you're device says 4G, it really means HSPA+ which is technically 3G. When it says LTE, it means 4G LTE. When it says 3G, it means HSPA. And E is Edge. There are a couple of revisions in between each.

Right. I was getting confused because on my S3 i never saw "3G", either "4G" (which i presumed already was 3G or HSPA+) or "LTE"...where as on the Lumia there is 3G, 4G(HSPA+) and LTE. Thanks for the clear up.

------------------
On another note...

The battery has been average so far, but that could also have to do with me being new to WP8 (had WP7) and learning about the background processes. Unfortunately cant say if its better or worse than prior FW.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Right. I was getting confused because on my S3 i never saw "3G", either "4G" (which i presumed already was 3G or HSPA+) or "LTE"...where as on the Lumia there is 3G, 4G(HSPA+) and LTE. Thanks for the clear up.
------------------
On another note...

The battery has been average so far, but that could also have to do with me being new to WP8 (had WP7) and learning about the background processes. Unfortunately cant say if its better or worse than prior FW.

background process management helps, but the battery has been average on the L920 thus far, especially if you're running Whatsapp. Also once in a while and for no reason at all there are battery drains, hopefully the next GDR will address that

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
background process management helps, but the battery has been average on the L920 thus far, especially if you're running Whatsapp. Also once in a while and for no reason at all there are battery drains, hopefully the next GDR will address that

Ahhh, cool thanks.

But you know what my peeps, i dont think im running the latest firmware because i dont have the Storage Check avaliable in my settings, sorry for the confusion. I got the phone yesterday and was prompted with an install and just assumed it was all updates in 1 shot...however now i was checking around and dont see the new feature listed.

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
FW: 1232.5951.1249

im assuming this is an older version as the latest i believe is 1308/1314

Again, exclude my previous statements as they're not valid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs