Can't turn phone on after battery runs out

brunok

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
When my phone's battery runs out, I can't turn it on when it's connected to an energy source (like socket or a notebook). It just shows a low battery icon and a plug, but it won't boot.
I thought it would take a few minutes but usually it takes more than an hour (or more) and usually I have to do a hard reset to turn the phone on.
Is that normal?
Thanks.

cayano

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to use right cable and charger that came in with phone. I was having the same problem. I was using a Samsung cable and changer. I hope it helps out.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
U do not need to do ahard reset. the pjone will eventually turn on. However, if ur battery gets to 6% immediatelly seek a charger in order for it NOT to turn off.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
it's not a defect, it's just you CAN'T let your battery completely discharge or it will die and take a while to come back to life...that's why your phone take a long time to turn on! That's also why system warns you when it is critically low, you should just plug it to the charger then!

and like the guy above me said, DON'T let it get to 5%! About 10% battery is a good time to plug it or when system warns you!

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yip, it shouldn't be normal but it is common. Soft reset usually does the trick, although you might have to do this a couple of times to get it to boot up. Like others have said, don't let the battery run flat, you want to be on the charger before 5%

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My battery has run down to 3% once and the phone worked as it normally does. Plugged in charger and it came on.....

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Just leave it there, I faced this issue many times and all I do's leave it with charger there (wire charger only, don't use wireless in this case). After your phone get enough power it can eventually turn on by itself.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Press Volume Down + Power button for 10 seconds, and the phone should turn back on. Once it is on, remember to power down and then power back it up using just the power button. You need to do that to ensure that live tiles work correctly

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
after my phone dies and I get it plugged in again (wireless charger) it takes a while for it to turn back on, from what I saw last time the phone waits until its 10% charged.

I know this is different for iphones because as soon as you plug them in it probably takes couple of minutes for them to come back on.

this has been irritating to me couple of times where I've been waiting for calls or emails and the phone dies since it takes 30+ to get it to charge to 10% I lose out on getting my information promptly (mostly my fault for not plugging the phone in sooner) but I wish that once the phone is plugged in to power, that it would at least power up right away :)

brunok

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I was worried I got a defective device.
It just sucks cause I may need to make a call in case of an emergency and can't use the phone if it just started charging. Can't receive calls either...
It's my 1st smartphone since Nokia E71, so maybe I just have to get used to it...

Jasleen Ratra

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone's bin dead for a week now. The 'critical battery' notifications went unnoticed. Came back home tried to charge it overnight, no use. I keep trying to charge it every once in a while in a hope it will wake up, but no. :( Hard reset soft reset, didn't work for me either. I'm clueless. Please help someone.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My phone's bin dead for a week now. The 'critical battery' notifications went unnoticed. Came back home tried to charge it overnight, no use. I keep trying to charge it every once in a while in a hope it will wake up, but no. :( Hard reset soft reset, didn't work for me either. I'm clueless. Please help someone.

Your phone is probably at deep discharge state. Plug it in to computers usb port and let it be there a long time, for hours or day. It has less current, but chargers have cuttoff system, computer usb's dont.

If that does not work, Im afraid you have to take it in to repair centre.

Last edited:

Jasleen Ratra

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Loco! I'm really refraining myself from giving my phone to the service center, trust issues. But i'll definitely try plugging it into USB port.

Nita Collins

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
When my phone's battery runs out, I can't turn it on when it's connected to an energy source (like socket or a notebook). It just shows a low battery icon and a plug, but it won't boot.
I thought it would take a few minutes but usually it takes more than an hour (or more) and usually I have to do a hard reset to turn the phone on.
Is that normal?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6