Lumia 920 hangs up/switches to speaker while on calls...bad proximity sensor. Anyone else had this?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I know many people have issues with their proximity sensor preventing them from using their screen while on a call. I have had 2 Lumia 920s with the opposite problem: the proximity sensor does not seem to properly prevent accidental touches to the screen.

I have been on calls where the phone hangs up over and over again. I have also had the phone switch to speaker. I have also had the phone hang up and dial another number off the previous calls list.

Has anyone else experienced this on their Lumia 920?

jcvciii

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have had this problem on multiple occasions. At one point, the screen wouldn't turn off at all when I took a phone call. A hard reset sometimes helps, but I still get phantom hangups at least once a day.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know many people have issues with their proximity sensor preventing them from using their screen while on a call. I have had 2 Lumia 920s with the opposite problem: the proximity sensor does not seem to properly prevent accidental touches to the screen.

I have been on calls where the phone hangs up over and over again. I have also had the phone switch to speaker. I have also had the phone hang up and dial another number off the previous calls list.

I have this EXACT problem. But I fixed it. It used to happen when I had the phone up to my right ear. I started holding the phone to my left ear and the problem does not happen anymore.

lulz. Yes. I'm serious.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have this EXACT problem. But I fixed it. It used to happen when I had the phone up to my right ear. I started holding the phone to my left ear and the problem does not happen anymore.

lulz. Yes. I'm serious.

My mother have the same problem because the way she holds the phone.

Bradleyj, can you try to cover the ear speaker with the palm of your hand and check if the sensor does work?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I replaced my phone and now have none of these issues.

xeron72548

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
The same issue kept on happening to me. My solution was to press the lock button every time I got onto a call. The proximity sensor does not trigger the screen to turn on while on a call. If you want to end the call, press the lock button again and it takes you right back to the call screen. No need to change positions

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have thoroughly checked the proximity sensor by having my wife and daughter watch the screen as a hold the phone against my head in different ways. The sensor *seems* to work fine in these tests. And yet I have had multiple hang-ups (and I think a speakerphone or dialing another number) on calls. It seems intermittent to me.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
My mother have the same problem because the way she holds the phone.

Bradleyj, can you try to cover the ear speaker with the palm of your hand and check if the sensor does work?

I specifically tried that and the sensor appears to work fine.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Update: Nokia sent me a new Lumia 920, and as much as I love the phone, I decided to sell it. The problem is that on the LUmia 920, the proximity sensor is so far to the right side of the rather large phone that if you don't hold the phone tightly against your head the screen can activate. This won't happen if you use the phone left-handed. Why Nokia built a phone that needs to be held in just te right way is beyond me. My Samsung Focus has no problems (it has the proximity sensor on the left side which seems wiser).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786