L820 phone update

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Strangely I know some people who have the same 920 product codes/country variants as my 920 who have gotten the update but mine tells me I'm up to date. This update process is more random than the lottery!

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It does seem random, doesn't it. I always seem to get updated very early, which surprises me as I'm not on a phone contract but SIM only, though I did buy the phone from O2 and it is O2 branded. Anyway, survived it. Always a worrying time, when I hear how other people's phones get bricked.

Haven't had much of a play yet but but I can tell you this, although it has been reported previously, I think. The new "storage check" only appears (as the last item in Settings) if you go into then out of "phone storage" in Settings. Weird. A feature, or a bug before we've started. Incidentally, just installing the update freed 250MB.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Says:

OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number: 1232.5957.1308.0001
Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202093.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

So, I guess yes.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Luckily I've got the patience of a saint so I'm happy to wait for the update. Does this update have the "double tap" to unlock feature, or is that a different update we have to wait for?

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
A double tap doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I've got crap fingers, but I've tried all sorts of double taps (glad I'm not doing this in public) to no avail. I wouldn't get too excited about "storage check" either. It's early days, so maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like you can only clear temporary files. Saved me 1MB! I can't see a way of clearing "other", which for me is sitting at 512MB. Maybe I need to get over to the 920 forum as they've had the update a while and see what they say about it.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about that 512 of MB in the other storage folder. This folder reserves storage for the OS to use dynamically and will free up storage for you if it's needed for apps etc. As for the double tap to unlock, is there a setting for it under Settings > Lock screen? If not, then there's probably another update on its way.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Luckily I've got the patience of a saint so I'm happy to wait for the update. Does this update have the "double tap" to unlock feature, or is that a different update we have to wait for?

Double tap feature will come in a newer 1308 update or a totally new firmware. It should be ready around summer. It may already be a part of the firmware but may have to be ?unlocked? by forth coming Nokia system-app updates via the Store.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ha. 512, and I work in electronics and computing and the significance of the number escaped me! But how do you know that WorzelGummage? I'm intrigued.

Looks like ttsoldier knows his stuff too. Nothing under Lock Screen.

Do you guys work for M$ or Nokia or something???

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The "Other" folder under storage has been discussed at length before and it's been agreed that the OS reserves whatever amount it wants to keep the system running smooth and fast. It does however free up that space if an app needs it. The problem was though that it would fill up with temp. files that couldn't be removed, until now that is with the 1308 firmware.

The reason I asked about the double tap to unlock was because I was under the impression that the next update after Portico would be the GDR2 update which also adds FM radio support.

GDR2 | Windows Phone Central

Looks like we have a bit more waiting to do for that update then.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for enlightening me, WorzelGummage. I knew the "other" storage had been discussed at length but I'd missed the mechanics behind how it worked. Seems fair enough, I suppose. I have to say at the moment I'm a bit underwhelmed by this update. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any improvement, it's just I was expecting a bit more. Maybe I'd talked it up in my mind a bit too much. Means we've still got some good things to look forward to, hopefully.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I know what you mean. The Portico update brought very little to the table. We'll probably have to wait until the Autumn for any significant or major update.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It does seem random, doesn't it. I always seem to get updated very early, which surprises me as I'm not on a phone contract but SIM only, though I did buy the phone from O2 and it is O2 branded. Anyway, survived it. Always a worrying time, when I hear how other people's phones get bricked.

Haven't had much of a play yet but but I can tell you this, although it has been reported previously, I think. The new "storage check" only appears (as the last item in Settings) if you go into then out of "phone storage" in Settings. Weird. A feature, or a bug before we've started. Incidentally, just installing the update freed 250MB.
II've found being unlocked 2 Carrier u do get updates quicker:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs