8X keeps shutting down

Master24747

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I don't know if anyone can help me, but I just got a new 8X and for the first two weeks it's been just fine but today it kept shutting down even though it was fully charged and I hadn't even touched it. Is there anything I can do?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My 8X started having this problem today. It says the battery is at 50% and has never done this before. I did remove and reinsert the SIM because it also recently started giving an invalid SIM error daily. Not sure if the removing is causing this but I will try the suggestions here.

Edit: Powering down and removing/reinserting the SIM fixed it. Its been several hours without a shutdown. The device had been shutdown using volume down + power. I think removing the SIM prior when trying to fix the invalid SIM error causes the problem.

Edit: Did it once so far since the above post, but it stayed on much longer than before. I will continue to monitor it. I have not removed the SIM since the last time.

Last edited:

Daisy Anderson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
OK my phone is freaking out, first the screen went black and a lightning bolt and a gear popped up on the screen, then it just started turning its self off and on, over and over for like 5 mins!!! I held the power button and volume button down at the same time, but its still doing it. What the crap! Is anyone having this same issue?

tristan2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Even after a replacement (new one) Back to Factory settings is no solution, done it 5 times now (by 8 times i know what the 8x means). A piece of tape is no solution....Even now with the factory settings restored for 10 minutes, the phone is rebooting in a 5 minutes sequence. HTC is responding: send for repair, so no phone for more than 10 days, and probably a restored to factory settings solution. HTC says further: by 3 times repair tries, you will get a new one....So i will have to wait for a long time. many forums are discussing this issue and many people are complaining that HTC is not fixing the problem: you get a rebooting phone back after 10 days.
I am desparete! Im am recommending no one this phone, or even this operating system: windows phone! This issue is around on the net for more than 1/2 year, and still no fix.

So people: accept that you being conned by verry big and untransparent companies.

Stil i have hope that there is comming a solution, otherwise they have stolen 300 euro's with big talk.

Carrie Pierce

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had my HTC Windows 8 phone for over a year and it has been shutting down randomly for the past month. Now I'm getting the lighting bolt and gear when it starts up. I only have this phone in my life. Can't live without one for 10 days.

tbsteph1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
It makes no sense but, putting a layer of scotch tape on the SIM will fix the random shut down issue. Use an Exacto knife and trim neatly around the SIM card itself. It should fit fairly tight in the tray.

FWIW, I put tape on my 8X's SIM over a year ago. The phone has not randomly shutdown since. Apparently their is a problem with the SIM tray used by HTC. They have had a replacement part available for a long time. Unbelievable this issue pops up still.

EMM PI

May 5, 2015
Visit site
it's unbelievable, i didn't believe it at first but when i try it i was surprised,
my 8x shut down 3 to 5 times per day, some times (not so often) doesn't recognize sim card,and all the time appears a message from vodafone gr (sim settings or something like that) i tried everything and didn't work,finally i put tape 24 hr ago and still working fine. i'm excited. thanks a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos