Lumia 920 non-Nokia USB cable charging issue

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Anybody having problem with charging Lumia 920 using another micro-USB cable?

I tried using my Kindle touch cable to charge my phone (only the cable, still using the original adapter). The phone seems to charge fine and as equally fast as with the original cable. But it seems to loose the charge much faster this way! The phone was loosing charge about 10% an hour on standby. After a few days, I tried the original cable again and the battery started to hold much much better. Any idea why?
I need to buy more cables to keep at work and car and I'm not sure what kind of cable would work. Any help appreciated.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The cable shouldn't play a role in charging. I mean it just brings the charge, and wires are wires, they cannot bring more or less juice to the battery. I have bought a micro USB cable and use it just for charging. The original one sits in my computer when I need to sync my phone.

Thargoid

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Strangely I have also tried to use a std micro USB lead, although to transfer data to/from my PC and it didn't work. Works fine with the lead that came with the Nokia but not with a std cable. I haven't tried a std lead for charging though

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
The cable shouldn't play a role in charging. I mean it just brings the charge, and wires are wires, they cannot bring more or less juice to the battery. I have bought a micro USB cable and use it just for charging. The original one sits in my computer when I need to sync my phone.

miodrage, Your argument completely makes sense, and that's why it's strange for me to experience this issue. I'm almost sure that there is something wrong with the Kindle cable as I have not changed anything on the phone in the two scenarios.

azerrima

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Strangely I have also tried to use a std micro USB lead, although to transfer data to/from my PC and it didn't work. Works fine with the lead that came with the Nokia but not with a std cable. I haven't tried a std lead for charging though

The kindle cable seems working fine for connecting to PC.

BooNMiNG

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
yea.. it seems so...
i ended up buying two extra cables, one worked but another not... but both can't connect to the windows phone suite...

>.<

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
BooNMiNG, you might want to check and make sure that the two extra cables are "data" cables. I found that out when I was out once and had to do an update on my previous phone. The computer would not see my device with the extra cable that I keep in my glove box...that's when I found out that there are two different types. Turns out that the one I had was only good for charging; so you have to make sure that it says "data cable" in the item description.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

This isn't entirely true. Aftermarket products use cheaper materials and cheaper metals. Which could cause the wire to have more/less resistance and can disrupt the proper flow or charge it is required to give the phone a proper charge. This why you never trust aftermarket parts.

It isn't just the L920 I have seen this type of issue with other phones like BlackBerries and Samsungs and LG's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786