Very angry. Back skin "peeled"

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I got this phone, what, March 15th or something? I've treated it like a baby, never dropped it, kept it alone in its pockets, etc. Today I noticed that on the top right corner, the black plastic (and a little grey) is exposed where the back "skin" has seemingly "peeled". I have no idea how this happened, since it has never, ever been dropped. Yet, if I look closely there is a little scratch in the plastic. Perhaps I bumped into something? I really do not know. So upset right now...is there something that HTC or Verizon can do even though I didn't buy insurance? I know that if I bring this up, I will automatically be branded as a liar and told that I must have dropped it, when I know for a fact I did NOT. It looks like **** and I want to get it fixed. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Looks exactly like this:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/213071-another-problem-htc-8x-soft-surface-coners.html

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I had an old palm device that had that same texture, blue like that too, I forget the name of that thing...but I digress. I had issues with that one and suspected it would with these too, unfortunately.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If there are no visible scruff marks you can push for a warranty and even push it harder by saying they've sold you defective product. Depending on what country you are, most consumers are protected under faulty goods sales. However, you need to make sure there are no visible scruffs that suggest that it isn't because it's been dropped etc.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
If there are no visible scruff marks you can push for a warranty and even push it harder by saying they've sold you defective product. Depending on what country you are, most consumers are protected under faulty goods sales. However, you need to make sure there are no visible scruffs that suggest that it isn't because it's been dropped etc.

That's the thing, I'm pretty sure there is a little scuff mark. It's hard to see, and I can't tell if it's residue from where the coating used to be or if it's from hitting into something. If it's the latter, I'm going to go ape**** because I treated this thing like a baby. I don't even remember bumping into anything, at all. I can't find my camera, or else I'd take a picture.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Found my camera; could not get macro enough to get detail of the blemish, but here it is. Kind of want to cry...if I dropped it that's one thing, but the fact that this thing never fell is driving me up a wall, because I know it'll be an uphill battle for a warranty claim. In the mean time I put the case back on that the guys gave me when I bought it (it's ugly).

IMG_3145.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 26

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on? That corner of the glass looks scuffed up. Has it been exposed to some abuse without your knowledge?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's terrible. I remember hearing about this when the 8X first came out. It's a shame that HTC never sorted it out. Good luck with the warranty replacement.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
That's terrible. I remember hearing about this when the 8X first came out. It's a shame that HTC never sorted it out. Good luck with the warranty replacement.

Thanks. I am going to call on Friday, probably, unless I find I can just live with it.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
So I think I'm actually going to call today to attempt a warranty swap, because I am certain I didn't drop it and maybe the scuff I see won't be viewed as a drop. How does this process work? I've sent my MacBook in to Apple when it was damaged, and that was fine since I have access to computers, but what am I supposed to do without a phone?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also noticed a tiny bit of peeling by the USB port....

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There were reports awhile ago about this being "typical" with HTC phones. It's not unique to the 8X because I remember reading a thread where someone was complaining about it with their Radar as well. I think the poster said that HTC wasn't very sympathetic about his/her situation, either.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
well according to HTC's escalations the device should never be kept in your pocket and should always have a case on it.

device looks amazing when you first see it but it isn't built for even a couple days of use... problem isn't exclusive to the 8X, the One X, radar etc all have soft coating which stains easy and wears easy. this one device completely jaded me against HTC (not WP) only problem is my provider bell mobility doesn't off any Nokia's.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I called and they said they don't do replacements, only repairs. I don't have my old phone, and am not sure if I feel like going through the process or waiting for it to get repaired, or even possibly turned away for repairs. This makes me upset...what a freakin' hassle. Think I'll just order a nice little gel case so I don't have to see it or experience this crap ever again in any of the phone corners. Bull****.

This whole thing really put a sour taste in my mouth. Seriously, after only 3.5 weeks of use, it looks like ****? Give me a break.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
agreed... I have had multiple device over the past few and tend to like having the device without a case. I usually take pride in my devices and look after them extreme well BUT I basically feel stuck with the 8X. couple weeks of owning causes the blue to look like pure garbage.

HTC's escalation basically killed me off the brand 100%

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
agreed... I have had multiple device over the past few and tend to like having the device without a case. I usually take pride in my devices and look after them extreme well BUT I basically feel stuck with the 8X. couple weeks of owning causes the blue to look like pure garbage.

HTC's escalation basically killed me off the brand 100%

Never had a case on any of my phones. One of the reasons I bought this phone was because of how nice and smooth it felt in the hand. Then it goes ahead and decides to peel like an orange; if I dropped it, that's one thing, but I didn't do anything and the thing decides to look like ***. It's a real, real shame. I was reading on the Nokia subforum that they get sent a phone BEFORE they have to send theirs out! Sorry that not all of us can live without a phone, HTC. Welp, heading to Amazon to get a case...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6