After the 1314 firmware update , no tile update or toast notifications.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
My tiles and background tasks are not working either since 1308 update.

I have the following:
-Accuweather as my lockscreen background.
-gMpas runs in the background to report my location to Google Latitude.
-Battery Level, live tile and lockscreen notifications.

None of these apps are updating my lockscreen, notifications, or live tiles.

I've tried blocking them, then enabling them to run in the backgroun on next application start.
Then I tried the same thing except rebooting between blocking them and checking them off to run in the background again.
I've tried a soft reset and unpinning and pinning again.

My only option left is a hard reset, which I don't really want to do as many users are reporting it bricks their device.

I've had issues with my background tasks in the past. But it hasn't happened in months.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
My tiles and background tasks are not working either since 1308 update.

I have the following:
-Accuweather as my lockscreen background.
-gMpas runs in the background to report my location to Google Latitude.
-Battery Level, live tile and lockscreen notifications.

None of these apps are updating my lockscreen, notifications, or live tiles.

I've tried blocking them, then enabling them to run in the backgroun on next application start.
Then I tried the same thing except rebooting between blocking them and checking them off to run in the background again.
I've tried a soft reset and unpinning and pinning again.

My only option left is a hard reset, which I don't really want to do as many users are reporting it bricks their device.

I've had issues with my background tasks in the past. But it hasn't happened in months.

I just tried uninstalling the apps, rebooting the phone, and then reinstalling them. No luck. The background tasks are still not running (updating live tiles or lock screen notifications). Accuweather not updating lock screen either.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue pre-1308. When I added one new app with background task ALL live tiles suddenly worked as they should. I then uninstalled this app and ALL live tiles stopped working. So I flashed my phone ... Now they all work again.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here, at the request of Nokia support I hard reset my phone. Now I have a brick with spinning gears.
This is a good opportunity to get a replacement unit. Just try to get a new unit - refurbs are just returned units which Nokia/AT&T reflashes with latest firmware/OS and which may still have hardware defects/issues which were the actual reasons for their returns in first place.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My third party Live Tiles not working was driving me mad. I googled the problem and arrived at this:

Tech Tip: Windows Phone How To Fix Stuck Live Tiles That Won’t Update | R.B. Russell.com

Seemed promising, and I had a good feeling about it. Did as it says, but still no good.

I contacted windows phone support on twitter, and they basically told me to do the same as above. I told them that I did and that it didn't work, and their reply was to give it a couple of days. I was sceptic, but the support was confident that it would solve the problem. Lo and behold, give or take a couple of days later, my third party live tiles are back working again!

Hope this helps. I am glad I remained patient and resisted the urge to do a hard reset.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
My third party Live Tiles not working was driving me mad. I googled the problem and arrived at this:

Tech Tip: Windows Phone How To Fix Stuck Live Tiles That Won’t Update | R.B. Russell.com

Seemed promising, and I had a good feeling about it. Did as it says, but still no good.

I contacted windows phone support on twitter, and they basically told me to do the same as above. I told them that I did and that it didn't work, and their reply was to give it a couple of days. I was sceptic, but the support was confident that it would solve the problem. Lo and behold, give or take a couple of days later, my third party live tiles are back working again!

Hope this helps. I am glad I remained patient and resisted the urge to do a hard reset.

Really? They just started working again? I've tried everything and still no go. It's not just live tiles, it's background tasks (lock screen updating, live tiles, and gMaps Latitude Updating). I'll wait a few more days. I really want to hard reset but everyone is saying it bricks their devices. That really sucks.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I am happy to report that my Live Tiles are updating again! I finally received the network+ update this morning. It didn't fix them right away. I had to do the following:

1. Unpinned my broken live tiles.
  2. settings > swiped to applications > background tasks.
  3. I blocked all the background taks currently running and pressed the checkbox to enable them the next time I open the app.
  4. Changed my lock screen to Bing (it was Accuweather).
  5. Then I performed a soft reboot (hold volume down and power until the phone turns off and vibrates).
  6. Re-pinned my apps and then opened each for about 30 seconds.

I waited about 30 minutes and fianlly my battery tile updated itself! My lock screen has not changed it, but the weather hasn't changed either. I find that Accuweather lock screen doesn't always update when it should. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I've tried everything. Sometimes my Live Tiles work, sometimes they don't. Opening the app and then closing it will allow the Live Tile to update for a few more hours and then it stops again. My last resort is to perform a hard reset although I really, really, really don't want to brick my device.

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a good opportunity to get a replacement unit. Just try to get a new unit - refurbs are just returned units which Nokia/AT&T reflashes with latest firmware/OS and which may still have hardware defects/issues which were the actual reasons for their returns in first place.

You're absolutely right! I am able to confirm they had to outright replace the phone after the update from 1308. 1314 wasn't deployed at that time. Hard resets seem to be a brick enabler of a thing since 1308 apparently. I have upgraded to 1314 on my replacement Lumia 920 but I have same issues of live tiles not updating so it's not a great update regardless of what was enhanced or introduced with 1308 or 1314. The joys of phone updates are becoming less and less

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
You're absolutely right! I am able to confirm they had to outright replace the phone after the update from 1308. 1314 wasn't deployed at that time. Hard resets seem to be a brick enabler of a thing since 1308 apparently. I have upgraded to 1314 on my replacement Lumia 920 but I have same issues of live tiles not updating so it's not a great update regardless of what was enhanced or introduced with 1308 or 1314. The joys of phone updates are becoming less and less

I had my live tiles updating if I opened the apps and then closed. After half a day they would stop updating. But now they don't update at all. I tried everything.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
After all this, I contacted Nokia Care and they had me try everything I already tried. Then they asked for me to perform a hard reset. I was scared but I did it anyway. Just my luck, I got the spinning gears of death for 4 hours. I tried the rebooting and then pressing volume up, volume down, power, volume down - no luck. I tried letting the battery drain, removignthe SIM, plugging it in (not manually powering it on), and letting it power on itself - didn't work. I then tried rebooting and then holding volume up. Tried holding volume down and inserting he charger. All of these methods returned slightly different results. Sometimes the phone would get stuck in a reboot loop, other times I'd get the gears with the lightning bolt thingy. Sometimes It would just say low battery icon.

Eventually I decided that these "tricks" weren't going to work. So I headed over to http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html, downloaded the latest NaviFirm Plus cache ZIP, and downloaded the latest Rogers firmware. Then I flashed the phones as instructed.

Everything is working now, including live tiles. It was quite the experience but it was worth it in the end. Background tasks are working now!

austinlewis

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm right there with you. I'm on a Lumia 920 on 1314. Very frustrating. I have done soft resets and unpinned the tiles and uninstalled and re-istalled the apps. Nothing seems to work. I'm going to do a hard reset because that is nothing but trouble.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo