Anyone buy 620 from Telus and unlocked to use on Rogers (Canada)?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Here in Canada the only carrier to sell the Lumia 620 is Telus/Koodo. After some investigation I discovered the possibility to purchase the phone from Telus and unlock to use on Rogers network. I am new to this unlocking game, I've watched some videos and read the ads but never done it myself. Since my contract is up in March 2014, I currently have a GS3 (found one cheap, didnt renew my contract) and do not like the size of the phone or the OS platform (had a WP7 prior and loved my Focus, but the phones toast). I want to save my HW upgrade for the WP's coming out later this year and think the 620 would be great use for the next year. So I have a couple of questions:

- Has anyone experienced major problems purchasing this model from one carrier and unlocked to use on another carrier?
- Since i want to purchase the phone from Telus and use on Rogers, will Telus charge me for the unlock code?
- Overall, hows the performance of the 620 so far for users?

Thanks

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, well i guess no one attempted or cared to. I contacted Telus via email and it looks like they force users to have Telus service for a certain time before they unlock the device.

TELUS has certain conditions that must be met in order to unlock a phone. First the phone must be or have been active on the TELUS network for a minimum of 90 days. That account must be up to date for payments and in good standing.

At this point TELUS will unlock the phone for a fee of $35

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
yes thanks, i would trust Amazon.com more than Ebay but for me i would feel more comfortable buying something local so if issues happen it can be repaired by the service provider.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I went into my local Telus and told them that I am on Bell and asked about purchasing a 620 and unlocking. They told me that I'd have to be a Telus customer for 90 days, and then I could unlock the 620. Seems like the best option is to just grab one of ebay.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I went into my local Telus and told them that I am on Bell and asked about purchasing a 620 and unlocking. They told me that I'd have to be a Telus customer for 90 days, and then I could unlock the 620. Seems like the best option is to just grab one of ebay.

Yes, i got a similar response via email from Telus. I really don't understand the logic though, they're still making a profit off the phone and $$$ from the unlock as well.

Oh well, their loss. Im in the process of getting a Lumia 920 now.

S h a n e

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the TELUS Lumia 620 for $99.99 at futureShop, and went to an online website http://www.cellunlocker.net/ to unlock the phone. I was charged $14.99 USD or $15.90 CAD and received the unlock code and instructions within 24 hours of purchase.

I followed the simple instructions and unlocked my phone within a minute and on the first try.

Hope this helps!

.... please don't go to the carrier to unlock your phone. They gouge you enough with your monthly plans!

Last edited:

Michel Boutot

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I did the same thing. I am on the Rogers Network.
The phone works well BUT cannot browse the internet; the data service does not work.
I tried my SIM card on another phone and it works.

Do you have any problem with DATAs?

Thanks

S h a n e

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Try this.... go to SETTINGS

Then go to CELLULAR

Scroll down to the bottom to "edit internet apn" and "edit mms apn"

make sure you choose rogers under Network Selection and then click on

edit internet apn to configure your data (internet connection)

APN: internet.com

• Password: wap
  • MCC: 302
  • MNC: 720
  • APN Type: default,supl

all other settings left blank and click on save

Then if you need support for picture and video texts click onedit mms apn

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
  • MMSC: http://mms.grps.rogers.com
  • MMS Proxy or WAP gateway : just enter the this 10.128.1.69
  • MMS Port: 80
  • MCC: 302
  • MNC: 720
  • APN Type: mms

turn off your phone, restart and then SEND yourself a picture via text and check the internet...

also try going to the rogers forum and ask for the internet settings there if these instructions and settings dont' work... I am on FIDO so my settings are different.

Last edited:

2013-NokiaLumia620

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
SHANE > would you be able to post the Identical Internet Settings for the Nokia Lumia 620..........but only for FIDO service.

There are many of us who bought the Phone @ futureshop or bestbuy Telus Prepaid that are unlocking it to use with FIDO.

I have no idea what the FIdo Internet Settings are.

S h a n e

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
try the instructions above for Rogers using the below information

Settings

Cellular

EDIT internet
APN:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn (IF YOU HAVE A REGULAR FIDO SIM CARD)
or

• If you have A FIDO LTE SIM card, use: LTEMOBILE.APN

• IP TYPE: IPv4v6

leave everything else blank and click on save

click on EDIT MMS APN (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn
  • WAP GATEWAY: 205.151.11.13
  • WAP Gateway port: 80
  • MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
  • MMS Port: 80
  • IP Type: IPv4v6

leave everything else blank... save the settings, turn off your phone and restart... try messaging a picture to yourself to verify and let me know if this works for you!

Last edited:

2013-NokiaLumia620

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Probably...but don't americans have the 620 Lumia with AT&T or some other company? If so....you might be able to get it unlocked there by an American unlocker site or request the unlock code from the American carrier. You could try e-bay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa