Lumia 620 Battery Issue?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Presumably using a third party battery invalidates the warranty?

Not sure how Nokia would even know, unless you were not smart enough to tell them. When going to warranty exchange, in general, best is to give them the least detail possible. They are going to ask you to trouble shoot, say you did, say you turned off your phone, did a hard rest, factory reset and it still didnt work. Then they will acknowledge you did everything you could and just process the warranty exchange. This worked the warranty exchanges i've been through for different products even unrelated to cell phones.

The more you tell them, the more chances they have to deny your warranty.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
My dear friends,

I have made test of 2430 mAh battery you requested (hope so).

My L620 has been set up and used during the day as follows:

BT always on
location always on
3G GSM mode
display brightness auto (switched to auto from medium level)
battery saver on
AppoinTile with live tile running on the background
Whatsapp messenger running on the background
Amazing Weather with live tile running on the background (hourly refreshment)
WP central client with live tile running on the background (instant refreshment)
push emails turned on – to as they come (first mailbox)
60 minutes of calls
20 sms
second mailbox synced several times a day
several minutes of web browsing
several minutes of viewing pics via picasa client
60 (maybe 70) minutes of music with wired earphones
reading some news from WPC
3 small apps (each about 2 MB) downloaded from store via 3G

Phone ran 14 hours, until it reported a critical battery level (4%).

Conclusions must make yourselves... :)

Did you test the 1800mh battery? how is that compared to the 2430mh battery

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
to be honest, i don't see the difference between my 620 and my 8S.. we know from the sheets that 8S got a bigger Li-Poly battery..
on both device, i have no difference of usage.. just for a regular daily use
i charged it regularly at midnight using a timer i bought from a hardware store..
i charge my 8S for 2.5 hours straight from 10.30PM and the timer goes off at 1 AM (it charges slower, i think it's because of it's larger battery)
i charge my 620 for 2 hours from 11PM and the timer goes off at 1AM

but in the end, i charge my phone at the same exact time the next day, and so on..
does this means that the 620 actually got a lower power consumption than the 8S?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i charged it regularly at midnight using a timer i bought from a hardware store..
i charge my 8S for 2.5 hours straight from 10.30PM and the timer goes off at 1 AM (it charges slower, i think it's because of it's larger battery)
i charge my 620 for 2 hours from 11PM and the timer goes off at 1AM

Why the timer? Why not just leave it on charge overnight? There's no damage to the battery by leaving it charging as the logic in the charging circuit turns off the charging current when it's fully charged. And the switchmode wall plug charger uses next to zero power when not pouring charge into the phone. So there doesn't seem to be anything to gain by using a timer.

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Why the timer? Why not just leave it on charge overnight? There's no damage to the battery by leaving it charging as the logic in the charging circuit turns off the charging current when it's fully charged. And the switchmode wall plug charger uses next to zero power when not pouring charge into the phone. So there doesn't seem to be anything to gain by using a timer.
no damage? that's new info for me.. i've been using wall plug timer because of the info that cellphone stores here says that overcharging damages battery....
causing battery "leak" where it drops fast...
i thought it was a legit info because i knew it from the stores :|

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
no damage? that's new info for me.. i've been using wall plug timer because of the info that cellphone stores here says that overcharging damages battery....
causing battery "leak" where it drops fast...
i thought it was a legit info because i knew it from the stores :|

Not to be too cynical (and yes, I'm generalising), but most store employees know bugger all at any technical level about the products they sell. The info about overcharging is a left over from the old days of 'dumb' transformer-based wall bricks and dumb phones. These days the smarts in the battery and charger circuitry take care of the details.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
dont think anyphone i had that worked properly had issues overnight charging. if it did, my phone would explode?

tanto12

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
the battery life of the lumia 620 is appalling wont even last a day and yes i have everything switched off i have owned nokias for over 15 years but after i return this one i may never buy a nokia again

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
the battery life of the lumia 620 is appalling wont even last a day and yes i have everything switched off i have owned nokias for over 15 years but after i return this one i may never buy a nokia again

if you're coming from Symbian the battery life is going to be much lower due to spec and architecture differences. Beyond that, Nokias biggest issue with the Lumia line seems to be consistency. Even with WP7 battery life would vary dramatically from device to device. I don't know if they had to make cuts in QC/QA to stay afloat, but seems like no matter which device you're talking about some people get poor battery life and some people get amazing battery life. It's very strange. Might even be an issue with their battery supplier.

ssps

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I charged my phone 100% before sleep and when i wake up it was just 40% , I have my data, location, wifi, bluetooth everything switched off and no tabs open but still it happens . Can someone help me. My phone is 2 months old and it happens for past 15 days.

elantech123

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Windows OS has many battery issues. Because many back end applications working while internet start. And also graphics cards use for high picture quality so for that reason windows phone battery work less.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

If, as you have stated, everything is switched off and you still get less than a day of charge, then I would suggest you either have a faulty handset that needs to be repaired/replaced, or there is a rogue app running in the background using power (WhatsApp, Facebook and HERE Drive beta are all suspect in this regard).

Try this test. Restore phone to factory defaults. Set up phone with your Microsoft account, but DO NOT install any apps other than those that come with the Phone. Do all updates, and turn of HERE Drive in the Background apps settings. Now use your phone for a few days with data on (and/or wifi if that's applicable) and see how the battery goes (you'll need to try it for at least two charges because there's a bit of background syncing that goes on just after your phone is set up that can chew through some battery life). If it lasts more than a day (indeed it should last a couple), your phone is OK.

RoccoH

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I charged my phone 100% before sleep and when i wake up it was just 40% , I have my data, location, wifi, bluetooth everything switched off and no tabs open but still it happens . Can someone help me. My phone is 2 months old and it happens for past 15 days.

Did you install Whatsapp 15 days ago? My battery drain overnight is about 15% with everything on. After installing Whatsapp yesterday the battery drain was about 50% for last night, no settings changed. Whatsapp gone...

ssps

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Did you install Whatsapp 15 days ago? My battery drain overnight is about 15% with everything on. After installing Whatsapp yesterday the battery drain was about 50% for last night, no settings changed. Whatsapp gone...

I have whatsapp for 2 months , problem is i installed couple of fitness tracking apps and it was running in the background along with nokia drive. Once i killed the apps in background tasks everything is back to normal.Thanks to ozrob for the instructions.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
With moderate Whatsapp (2.9.4), Facebook, Here map, and camera usage during weekend over cellular data, I get about 10-20% remaining after 7-8 hours (after fully charged). I carry around Nokia DC-16 portable charger for weekend outing, so far no problem. I think Whatsapp toast notification is killing it (turning on the lockscreen everytime a message comes in).

During weekday (working at office), 5-10 minutes Facebooking/Whatsapping 3 times daily (morning commuting, lunch break, and after office), 15 minutes music playing on car audio over bluetooth 2 times daily, plus 30-45 mins in the evening as WiFi hotspot (on cellular data) for 2 iPads, it leaves me at 10-20% after 2 days.

NFC always off. Only allow Weather Channel app for background task. I turn off cellular data and 3G when not opening any app. I switched on airlplane mode when I sleep (8 hours).

So far, I'm not complaining. Although I'm also not praising it. I bought a BL-4J and keep it as a backup in case the existing battery failed in a year. (I'm a bit worried about the battery lifecycle considering its frequent charging.)

Last edited:

Naveen Navi V

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
hi everyone. Battery prob in my lumia 620. I kept for charge at night around 11 and i unplugged it in the morning at 7 and suddenly the estimated time showed me 21hrs 49min, i taught it might b ok but later on it showed me 21hrs only whenever i did full charge. So i think 620 battery is gone. Before and all it was coming around 26 to 28 hrs but now because of over charge its showing 21hrs, should i go to nokia care or is it normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720