Anyone from ios switch to the lumia 920?

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I am eligible to upgrade in May and was considering the Lumia 920 among other phones(HTC One and BB Z10).

I like the interface of Windows Phone from the videos I have seen and I know the history of Nokia and its build quality, though I have never owned a Nokia before. I just need to seriously try this phone out in a store.

I currently have and iPhone 4s and am just bored of the os and want something different, but that still caters to my needs. I primarily use(90 plus percent of the time) for music(in car, working out w/ bluetooth headphones, and with wired headphones), email(gmail and apple me), Facebook, and text messaging. Outside of my Nikon D90, this would be my main camera. Are there any drastic differences with these over iOS? I found out that the lumia 920 only has bluetooth 3.0, but I dont know how much of a difference that is b/w 4.0.

Let me know about your initial impressions about switching and how you feel now.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
1. I LOVE the Dolby Enhancer in Lumia 920. Coupled with a Skull Candy Inked ear buds, the bass is SUPREME.
2. The camera is to be honest, a hit and miss. It depends on the people using it, by as far as my experiences with it, the 920 has an amazing camera - ProShot is an amazing app that turns the 920 in a DSLR camera.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I went from ios to lumia 820 and love it, you get a lot more customization, lockscreen, homescreen & live tiles i would never go back to ios,
find someone who has a wp8 and try it you wont be disappointed

iZ3RO

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'd been with iOS since 1.0 (all the way up to around 5.0 before I quit) and I can completely understand you getting bored with it.
The music app is great, the phone's bluetooth sync perfectly with my car and the sound quality is amazing. Email, of any kind,
can be added to the phone (not unusual in a smart phone). However, the Facebook app isn't THE best; It will get the job done,
though. The texting is great; I love the metro design, the fluidity of it, and just the way it feels to use. As for the camera, I have
NEVER had a better camera in a phone. It gets amazingly detailed images and just does a beautiful job (Especially with ProShot).

Just my two cents.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of some Bluetooth problem with Ford cars as well as Pandora app. Other Bluetooth devices should work fine though.
WP has the best email client, not sure if it will support your iCloud thing or whatever Apple Me is
Facebook experience is pretty mediocre but certainly isn't broken and is passable.
text messaging is fine.

in conclusion as long as you are not too crazy about facebook on mobile you will be fine. FB is best on a computer anyway.
Bluetooth 4.0 has some additional power savings implemented but otherwise is quite similar to 3.0 I believe. the 32GB should be plenty of room for your music :)

Dan Bumbarger

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I tend to like the lumia more for music than ios. I think the 920 is more fragile than an iphone, and it is a bit slippery and easy to drop... so despite all the adds treat it delicately... I would never put a case on an iphone, but I'd get one for the 920 that gives it a little more grip. For messaging, I actually like how windows phone has a more person-centric rather than application-centric approach, though I don't use facebook much. I also think that the screen size makes MANY things much nicer on the lumia. Biggest drawback for me is that it is much easier to find USEFUL apps on an iPhone, but if you are primarily using it for the things you mentioned this is all built in so no need to worry. I miss the apple mail application, which I found to be nicer... but most other things about ios look and feel pretty outdated to me. Another thing I like about the lumia is that off contract it costs quite a bit less than an iPhone 5 32gb... I wouldn't rely on a promo video for getting a look at the interface.. go somewhere and get your hands on one. In the end, this is why I bought one... I was bored with iPhones and instantly fell in love with the live tile interface, but you may feel differently.

TheIsaacG

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
i recently switched in mid february from ios to WP8. i have to say i am really impressed and love the experience of WP8 and just having such a different phone than most people. i loved my iphone for many years, since the first gen. but grew tired of the same old boring ios, nothing new, refreshing, exciting. i loved the apps for sure but i enjoy WP8 a lot more. sure they lack some apps that are essential to competing platform but it's all about the experience for me. it was a little awkward getting used to the os of WP8 but i enjoy it, and i think i am sticking with it.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 4S to Lumia 920, and then back to iPhone 5. While I love the Lumia 920 and everything about it the reason why I switched back to iPhone was because some of my most used apps like Viber (at that time), WhatsApp, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Skype and some games were just not up to snuff on Windows Phone. So make doubly sure if your most used apps exist and how good are they. No point in switching for an inferior experience. If you got bored of iOS you'll eventually get over the fancy UI of WP8 as well.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Admirable that some people are willing to try something new! So far virtually every iPhone owner I know has asked me why I bought a Nokia phone. So I go through a few fairly groundbreaking aspects of it but they just shake their heads at my stupidity. Because it is named Nokia. They don't care about any of the features I mention that they don't have. They just say I'm going to regret it badly. Which I haven't so far. :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Admirable that some people are willing to try something new! So far virtually every iPhone owner I know has asked me why I bought a Nokia phone. So I go through a few fairly groundbreaking aspects of it but they just shake their heads at my stupidity. Because it is named Nokia. They don't care about any of the features I mention that they don't have. They just say I'm going to regret it badly. Which I haven't so far. :)

...and you wonder why the term iSheep evolved? ;)

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I swapped from an iPhone 4. Not because the iPhone is bad, but because i got bored.
I still recommend iPhones to people, but i've also managed to get a few to swap to lumia, however the main thing that switches people over is the price (much cheaper than iphones).
Eh, still something even though it isnt the merits of the phone itself.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched and my wife did too.

I love it. Great camera, has all the apps I need as I'm mostly web, email and messaging. Things like an Unread email view are great. The back button was one of my early loves too.

My wife doesn't like the size... a 620/720 would probably have been better for her but they weren't around. And it doesn't have a pinterest app. She uses some alternatives but they are not as good.

Have to say that the app front is improving daily, but if you love a particular app, check the store.

Again. Great phone, takes wonderful video. Fast OS. I love the freshness over iOS and the fact that my phone isn't the same as everyone else's. I am also excited about what MS have in the pipeline given the speed of bring WP7/8 to market. They are innovating much faster than Apple at the moment.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I went from a 4s > 900 > 920...

Bluetooth for music works great in my car (2012 VW Golf) with one exception, there is an option for incoming text messages to be read aloud, but it only works about 5%-10% of the time for me. Others have no issue with it... again, it does work great for music though.

Email works great and you can link multiple email accounts so that one tile grants access to all linked accounts... I have 1 tile for 2 email accounts that I want constant checking on and a second tile for an email account that I only check manually.

Camera on the 920 is very good!

michaelkriss

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone Demo | Windows Phone (United States) I found this site to be useful if you don't have the chance to see one in action.
I recently switched to WP8 and really enjoy it. I had the Original iPhone for 2 years and then after a year on android and 2 years on webOS I wen't back to iOS with an iPhone 4. I thought that after 3 years away, something would have changed but after a month or so I got tired of it. Still a great phone and great OS, I was just looking for something different. I haven't done much with music yet but what little I have has been fine. One thing to look at is the Nokia Music app, it's basicly a pandora type service that can have playlists stored offline so you can download them via WiFi and use them when you are out and about if data is a concern.
I can't speak for the Apple Mail but for me mail has been just fine, I have an outlook and Gmail account configured.
Lastly I think you will be happy with the camera, I know my wife(4s) loves the dedicated camera button and the pictures look fantastic.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I think this is very common, both Android and Apple owners just assume its childish or irrelevant since its not as popular. I went from iPhone3G > WP7 > Galaxy S3 > WP8. My wife has an iPhone 5 and LOVES it...she doesnt want change and likes stuff simple, so its perfect for her. People constantly ask my why i wanted to return to WP, its easier to show than explain for me but i will never go back to iPhone (although i love my Nano and think their music player is exceptional) or Android (unless WP isn't avaliable or the OS has a major overhaul).

We are the minority, lets rejoice!!

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been with iOS since day one (I used to be an Apple developer) and I switched and absolutely loved the Nokia 920, but sadly, I couldn't live without some of my apps and with a Mac ecosystem it was tough moving between my Macs, iPads and Nokia.

Still, I am going to give it a try again in 6 months or so. I really did like the system and phone that much...

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Every single day! :) My day job involves spending a fair amount of time in iOS but I drive a WP8 for a personal phone. There's nothing really wrong about iOS (more so than any other OS), but it just doesn't feel like it has any personality as unique as the live tile experience.

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
went by the att store today to take a quick look at it. typing is a lot better with the bigger screen. I did some "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" tests. I have a little over a month so that should solidify my decision. Thinking about getting the incipio feather(if needed) for a case and some screen protector(not entire phone, like zagg)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb