Anyone from ios switch to the lumia 920?

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My first smartphone was the original Iphone, then the Iphone 3G followed by the Iphone 4. Never ever was I tempted by Android becuase of the OS and especially the feel of the devices. On the other hand I liked all my Iphones and especially the Iphone 4. Great design, feel and functionality. Worked without glitches but over time I got bored and the Iphone 5 never tempted me.

When I saw the Lumia 920 launch event I knew this would be my future phone. A couple of months later I'm rocking a yellow 920 which I love. What attracted me to the 920 was the design of the phone and WP8. I think Nokia went the 'Apple way' by combining great hardware with innovative OS design which has to be simple and unique to be effective.

toondw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been iphone from the start, but when i got the iphone 5 i just thought it wasn't worth the sim free price and i got a bit bored of ios in general, i was hoping for a refresh with the 5 but it didn't happen.

I tried android (htc one) lovely phone but i just couldn't enjoy android. So i thought id give wp 8 a go. I bought a red Nokia 920 and so far, love the phone, just wish it was a tad lighter but no biggie! The os is smooth, shame about poor app support but the ones i do use are good. Overall im happy with it and looking forward to more apps and updates to the os.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I am eligible to upgrade in May and was considering the Lumia 920 among other phones(HTC One and BB Z10).

I like the interface of Windows Phone from the videos I have seen and I know the history of Nokia and its build quality, though I have never owned a Nokia before. I just need to seriously try this phone out in a store.

I currently have and iPhone 4s and am just bored of the os and want something different, but that still caters to my needs. I primarily use(90 plus percent of the time) for music(in car, working out w/ bluetooth headphones, and with wired headphones), email(gmail and apple me), Facebook, and text messaging. Outside of my Nikon D90, this would be my main camera. Are there any drastic differences with these over iOS? I found out that the lumia 920 only has bluetooth 3.0, but I dont know how much of a difference that is b/w 4.0.

Let me know about your initial impressions about switching and how you feel now.

I to got rid of my iPhone 4s just because it bores me to death and Apple just isn't making that many changes. That said, a lot of people like having the same simple interface with no need to ever learn anything new. Different strokes as they say. Every phone has it's pros and cons and no doubt there would be some things about the Lumia that you think the iPhone does better. Quite natural. Still, I think the Lumia 920 has a rock solid build and the OS is fast and responsive. It has the ease of use of iPhone and the customization of Android although not quite as detailed. I really wanted a fresh new look and Windows Phone 8 has it. I do believe some of the apps could stand improvement, not because they don't work but because they could offer better functionality. That's something that will come in time I'm sure. The camera on this phone is excellent and has the best low light results anywhere. I think what really keeps me here though is my ability to effectively communicate with my hubby. He always seemed to have a hard time keeping track of my texts and emails. Seems the man was always losing them or saying he never got them. With the Lumia's Family Room, I can put everything I need him to have right there and he knows to go in there to see it all. Finally, a solution that he "gets" and can work with. That is NOT a small thing for us. Anyway, it's all rather subjective so your best bet is just to try it out for yourself. If doesn't suit you, you can always bring itback during the buyers remorse period. The most important thing to remember is not to expect it to be your iPhone. They are very different and bring different things to the table.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched from an unlocked iPhone 4 to a Lumia 810 (T-Mobile customer here) and don't regret it for a second. Like other 810 members, however, I've been upset over T-Mobile EOL'ing my phone after only 5 months. I was out for awhile earlier and my battery drained, so when I got back home, I decided to charge it. I even did a little experiment and removed my SIM and put it back into my iPhone while charging the 810. My true goal was to see if I would still get 3G on the iPhone as I had back in early November, sporadically, but I realized I wasn't really feeling it having the SIM in the iPhone 4. I was already missing my Lumia 810. After about 5 minutes, I removed it, disconnected the charger from the 810 and popped the SIM back in my beloved WP. I really don't see myself going back, short of losing or breaking my 810. Really wish I had a 920, though; was deeply contemplating buying an unlocked one back in October/November.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I have iPad and Lumia 820

Here's what my experience with both :

iOS :
1.You must constantly push home button and capactive buttons on Lumias are more user friendly to use
2.Apps are the best part of iOS and iOS is greatly secured OS , all apps arrive first on iOS and games get updated very fast
3.Great performance and solid experience
4.Great design and hardware
5.Great Apple apps like Garageband , iMovie , iPhoto , iWork etc.

WP :
1.People Hub is probably the best things about WP and features like shortcut camera key , bing vision , lenses , kid's corner , data sense , search key , local scout , Bing music are somewhat very unique experience
WP experience is not based on Apps.Most experience comes when u personalize it and start using it.

You cannot go to a store and get "real" experience.If u want to know how WP feels , you must use one because all great features of windows phone are based on personalized experiences whereas iPhone/iPad are more like store pieces , they are very good to try in a store , that's why they are very popular.They run a bunch of apps to attract customers but honestly WP is more user friendly at daily stuff we do.

2.Beautiful and Beautifully made UI which is a refreshing experience

3.For games , WP is disappointing but All basic Apps are present (I repeat , games are not well but Apps are nice)

4.Great services from Nokia : Maps , Drive , Music , Photography apps etc.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I find it really interesting when I read stories about iPhone users switching to WP8. OTOH, I couldn't care less about Android users switching to WP8. :)

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
After 3 years with iOS, I got bored with it as well and switched to the 920. It's been 6 months and while I enjoy how WP8 looks, it's been "meh" for me.

The phone rarely takes a decent photo in the daylight. Night shots are nice and bright but everything else is really not that great. I found myself missing the HDR feature on my iPhone 4.

WP8 also doesn't have an orientation lock feature. I often surf the web at night in bed and the screen often switches from portrait to landscape. Very annoying.

The music player is not that good. I miss how cover art filled the screen of my iPhone and I miss being able to scroll through a song with my finger. WP8 doesn't do that (but you can hold the Forward and Back button to fast forward and rewind).

The Mail app is underwhelming as well. I especially miss how iOS kept my mailboxes separate yet allowed me to check them all at the same time. WP8 just clumps all your messages together in one unified screen and there's no telling what message came from which account until you open the message.

Internet Explorer just plain sucks. While it does function similar to iOS's Safari, it can't handle drop down menus at all. You try to open one and it collapses immediately. Very annoying!

Finally, I miss my jailbroken device. My iPhone was able to block every ad in Safari and in apps. Now I see ads everywhere and it's horrible. And I miss my call blocking app (iBlacklist) and firewall (Firewall iP). Apps on both OS's track you and collect a lot of info about you but on iOS, I was able to block all the spying. And annoying telemarketers were able to be blocked after only one call. Now their calls get through constantly.

In the end, while I love the look of WP8, I miss many of the iOS features, despite it's boring look and feel. But this is just MY experience based on how I use a smartphone. Obviously, each individual is unique and so will your experience. Definitely give WP8 a try and see how you like it. It may be a better fit for you. :)

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
After 3 years with iOS, I got bored with it as well and switched to the 920. It's been 6 months and while I enjoy how WP8 looks, it's been "meh" for me.

The phone rarely takes a decent photo in the daylight. Night shots are nice and bright but everything else is really not that great. I found myself missing the HDR feature on my iPhone 4.

WP8 also doesn't have an orientation lock feature. I often surf the web at night in bed and the screen often switches from portrait to landscape. Very annoying.

The music player is not that good. I miss how cover art filled the screen of my iPhone and I miss being able to scroll through a song with my finger. WP8 doesn't do that (but you can hold the Forward and Back button to fast forward and rewind).

The Mail app is underwhelming as well. I especially miss how iOS kept my mailboxes separate yet allowed me to check them all at the same time. WP8 just clumps all your messages together in one unified screen and there's no telling what message came from which account until you open the message.

Internet Explorer just plain sucks. While it does function similar to iOS's Safari, it can't handle drop down menus at all. You try to open one and it collapses immediately. Very annoying!

Finally, I miss my jailbroken device. My iPhone was able to block every ad in Safari and in apps. Now I see ads everywhere and it's horrible. And I miss my call blocking app (iBlacklist) and firewall (Firewall iP). Apps on both OS's track you and collect a lot of info about you but on iOS, I was able to block all the spying. And annoying telemarketers were able to be blocked after only one call. Now their calls get through constantly.

In the end, while I love the look of WP8, I miss many of the iOS features, despite it's boring look and feel. But this is just MY experience based on how I use a smartphone. Obviously, each individual is unique and so will your experience. Definitely give WP8 a try and see how you like it. It may be a better fit for you. :)
Mate, you can always sell your wp8 and go back to iOS. It seems windows phone 8 is not for you. #justsaying

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
MaxPower203 - See how subjective this is? What's important to one person isn't at all important to another. As for mail, WP8 does keep the mailboxes separate unless you choose to combine them (which I did). I do minimal surfing with the browser as i still think browing on a cell phone is not that great of an experience no matter what phone you have so not really caring all that much about that. None of the things you mention here bother me at all. On the other hand, there are some things I wish would be better that I'm sure others don't care about such as reduced functionality in Mobile Office. Just not acceptable that an Android Office app can do more than Microsoft's own app. Crazy. I like where WP8 is going. It just needs to start making improvements. The People Hub is a very good idea but we need to be able to do more from it. Other apps need more functionality as well such as the Facebook app and still others need to provide more formatting options (OneNote, Evernote, etc.). Oh and availability of games also doesn't bother me as I don't play them that often. I do like what the Lumia has available for music (xBox and Nokia Music). I'm not a music fanatic so I don't need the biggest and brightest just something that is easy to use and plays relatively well. Check. I for one think Apple's apps (numbers, etc.) are just to simple and uninspiring and their "cloud" is also to simple and limited unless you have a MAC to go with that iPhone. Google's cloud services and even Microsoft's are far better in my opinion. Of course, as stated, these are things that I care about and WP8 absolutely beats iPhone in my opinion. We won't even go into how completely controlling Apple is over iPhone when it comes to getting service (don't call your carrier's CS and expect to pay when you call Apple care). If you have an iPhone and it does what you want and it never gives you a problem then you're set but for my money, I get more from WP8, have fewer headaches when trying to get something resolved (call the carrier) and best of all, sync wirelessly and flawlessly with my Windows 8 computer (music, photos, Onenote notes, calendar/contacts/mail, SkyDrive files, etc.). P.S. Also disagree on pictures taken during the day. This too is subjective but I think the pictures are just fine and certainly no worse than any other phone. I've had ALL the high end phones except the iPhone 5 and none of them strikes me as having any better of a camera and none of them can touch the Luimia for night shots. Not even close.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
MaxPower203 - See how subjective this is? What's important to one person isn't at all important to another. As for mail, WP8 does keep the mailboxes separate unless you choose to combine them (which I did). I do minimal surfing with the browser as i still think browing on a cell phone is not that great of an experience no matter what phone you have so not really caring all that much about that. None of the things you mention here bother me at all. On the other hand, there are some things I wish would be better that I'm sure others don't care about such as reduced functionality in Mobile Office. Just not acceptable that an Android Office app can do more than Microsoft's own app. Crazy. I like where WP8 is going. It just needs to start making improvements. The People Hub is a very good idea but we need to be able to do more from it. Other apps need more functionality as well such as the Facebook app and still others need to provide more formatting options (OneNote, Evernote, etc.). Oh and availability of games also doesn't bother me as I don't play them that often. I do like what the Lumia has available for music (xBox and Nokia Music). I'm not a music fanatic so I don't need the biggest and brightest just something that is easy to use and plays relatively well. Check. I for one think Apple's apps (numbers, etc.) are just to simple and uninspiring and their "cloud" is also to simple and limited unless you have a MAC to go with that iPhone. Google's cloud services and even Microsoft's are far better in my opinion. Of course, as stated, these are things that I care about and WP8 absolutely beats iPhone in my opinion. We won't even go into how completely controlling Apple is over iPhone when it comes to getting service (don't call your carrier's CS and expect to pay when you call Apple care). If you have an iPhone and it does what you want and it never gives you a problem then you're set but for my money, I get more from WP8, have fewer headaches when trying to get something resolved (call the carrier) and best of all, sync wirelessly and flawlessly with my Windows 8 computer (music, photos, Onenote notes, calendar/contacts/mail, SkyDrive files, etc.). P.S. Also disagree on pictures taken during the day. This too is subjective but I think the pictures are just fine and certainly no worse than any other phone. I've had ALL the high end phones except the iPhone 5 and none of them strikes me as having any better of a camera and none of them can touch the Luimia for night shots. Not even close.

iPhone 5 colors look quite natural and also during night , the lights don't glare on iPhone.

Front camera also better on iPhone 5.

I would say that , saturation of 920 pics are higher while iPhone colors are so close to natural , so for people , iPhone 5 camera may look washed out

Even

dmoore228

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
One of my friends told me about the drop down menu issue. Reminds me of the old Mac computers. I have a dslr that I hope to get back into my life again since I haven't used it in forever. I didn't jailbreak unless it was to unlock an old phone to sell. I never really look at my phone while listening to music. I have a spibelt and jaybird headphones for working out. Have a pair of in ears for bed/plane. Also have a pair of alessandro(upgraded grado).

I can make do with 32gb before formatting. How much available space is there when you get the phone?

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It is impossible to enable internet sharing (tethering) on the 920 (or any WP8 device) with ATT compatible SIMs as there is an app that checks against a server if you can tether or not. (some US carriers think you should pay extra to use the data you already paid for outside the phone and Microsoft and Apple enforce this by disabling this device feature also on full price unlocked devices).
On the iphone there are workarounds to disable the ATT carrier profile but on WP8 there is not. (Does not matter if its an Unlocked ATT device or an unlocked device directly from Nokia)
So no WP8 for now as it would force me to carry another device for the few times I need internet access outside wifi coverage (i use only like 700 MB a month and I am not interested in paying for 5GB)
A former Microsoft colleague was surprised that this "flag" was also set on unlocked devices...

Dave729

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Unless you're doing it for the image stabilization in the camera, DON'T SWITCH.

I recently switched jobs and had to turn in the 4s I had been issued. In considering which phone to buy, it was between a 4s and the 920. I decided to go with the 920 primarily because of the image stabilization -- as I get older, my hands shake more, and I was having trouble with motion blur at slower shutter speeds in low light.

The camera has exceeded expectations and I am taking 1/8 second pictures with no blur. I am very pleased with that. And as much as I like the WP8 interface ( which to me seems faster and more intuitive than iOS), there's one HUMONGOUS problem. The apps. Oh, I've got most of the ones I used most frequently on iOS, but they're just not as good, not as well polished.

A great example is Audible, which I listened to daily on iOS. On WP8, an incoming phone call or an act as simple as starting the ignition on the car will reset it and I lose my place, requiring several minutes to find where you were. I actually stopped my Audible subscription (which I've had for over ten years) because it just wasn't worth the effort. Certainly I can't point everything at the 920, I just know I never had a problem like that using Audible on iOS. I keep going back to MY impression that the same apps just aren't as good, and for those that are not available, in most cases the alternative is either very crude or limited in functionality.

Another big deal is the common 920 problem of not keeping its charge very well. I cannot use my phone as a navigation device on a trip without it losing charge WHILE IT'S ON A CHARGER. AT&T has replaced the phone already because it bricked during an os upgrade, and both phones experienced the same .

I may slammed for saying all this blasphemy and don't mean to either defend ios or deride WP8. I'm just providing feedback after 6 months of use. I'm no Apple ******. Just to put it in perspective, I was a PocketPC user and a windows mobile user; I had the first computer in a 5,000 employee company running MS Windows in 1991, and have run every version of Windows except Me and Vista on my home PC. It's MY opinion and others have theirs, so take it all and process it for yourself.

The applications just aren't as good, so I would not do it again. BUT if you want the best cell phone camera around, the 920 is unbeatable.

WPFanboy

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I will switch to WP8 when they get a damn notification center! i mainly use facebook, twitter and instagram (just to see my friends' posts) and some games, I got so bored of iOS and i'm willing to try something new :) I can't miss any notification so...

Dave729

May 9, 2013
Visit site
FB for WP8 will give you a lock screen notice, and I think twitter does as well. I don't use instagram, so I can't talk to it.. The people hub in WP8 is a quick way to check all your social feeds. I really, really like the WP8 interface. i just wish the apps were better...

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I use iPhone 5 for my business (need the square app) and Lumia 920 for personal.

The only two things the iPhone has on the Lumia is MLB AtBat 13 and the ease of making/transferring music/playlists. Once those two get sorted out, and Square (as rumored at one point) comes to WP, audios to iOS!

romeromccoy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Please keep me posted about your transition to the Nokia. My main computer is a macbook and considering getting ipad soon. Love the Apple format and apps, visuals, etc. I'm very comfortable. I'm out of the loop on WP8 but am so tempted by the new Nokia Lumia 1020 camera phone. My main concern is going between my mac products and WP system on the 1020. Have you given it another try?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an ipad, Lumia 920, and an iMAC. The sucky part about the MAC is that I can not get contacts to show up in address book and the mail app can only do POP3 for email.

For Windows Phone you have to use outlook.com, which isn't bad at all because outlook.com is a great service. The only thing you loose on your iMAC is using the built in apps. You can move your address book to outlook.com on your ipad and it works perfectly just like on your Windows Phone, just on your macbook you have to use the browser to have the best experience with email.

I also own a Surface Pro and it works great with outlook.com and the microsoft account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro