Lumia 920 3D printed cases up for sale!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The 3D printed Lumia 920 cases are finally up for sale!

Here are examples of the designs I have created for the Lumia 920 with help from this community.

circle_s.jpggeo_s.jpgspider_s.jpgstring_s.jpgwp8_s.jpgwp8L_s.jpgsticky_s.jpg

You can get more information on 3D printed phone cases and buy these designs at my web page. www.gibbageart.com/case/ Also if you want to customize any of these designs, or have a completely new design made up, contact me using the contact form on my web page!!!

Kevin

Attachments

• sticky_s.jpg
    sticky_s.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I just ordered mine. I can't wait to see it. I got the "String" case for my L920 and I spent the extra money for the Polished version. I can't wait to see what it looks like on my White Lumia.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks great, now to decide... It is weird wanting to pay $30 for a case for a phone that cost me $50 (and 2 year commitment)

Also, your photoshop for the "Sticky" one actually says "Circles".

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks great, now to decide... It is weird wanting to pay $30 for a case for a phone that cost me $50 (and 2 year commitment)

Also, your photoshop for the "Sticky" one actually says "Circles".

Its definitely not a product for everyone, that's for sure! Thanks for the heads up on my error. I will fix it asap!

joshuaj11

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the change you did with the strings one.. showing off the Carl Zeiss strip...

now for the challenge to pick one...lol

great designs all around..

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered mine today. Deciding on what color to paint in the meantime. I picked the non polished one do to me painting it. Clean case well, use rubber gloves. Get some adhesion promoter cause it bond to the plastic and it gives your base coat something to stick to. Last get some clear coat and let it shine.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Sadly no, but you can paint it yourslelf with spray paint. I am making a video this weekend with tips on how.

do you use adhesion promoter? You can get it at auto parts stores usually. To prevent any premature chipping or peeling you should do the following: use a maroon scotch brute pad to scuff up the plastic. Don't need to do it hard leaving deep grooved but make it dull looking. Next clean it off using dish soap, stripes oils and stuff out from plastics. Next spray with adhesion promoter, its clear so 1-2 good coats. Then your base coat 1-2 coats and last your clear 2-3 coats. Do it a place free of dust so nothing sticks to the above coats. I'll try a vid too and using different colors on the one I ordered. Good luck man.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got my case in today. I am not happy. Take a look.

dave-blake-albums77-33371.jpg

I ordered the Lumia 920 "Strings" Case in White Strong & Flexible Polished. I paid the extra money to get the polished version. I was expecting to get the same String Case shown in the OP. What I got is not what's advertised in the OP at all. On the case I received the lines are rounded some of the corners are filled with plastic. This case has more of a bone finish not a polished look at all. I have emailed shapeways I will let you know what they say.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
That case is way over polished. If you look at my older video's, the same happened to me. Shapeways did refund the money so I have faith in them to make things right. Sorry for your troubles.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if you ever do other colors...I have a white 920 so white on white isn't the best look (rather not take the time to paint myself). It looks interesting though.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That case is way over polished. If you look at my older video's, the same happened to me. Shapeways did refund the money so I have faith in them to make things right. Sorry for your troubles.

Thanks for the quick response here and via email. I was also contacted by shapeway this morning I have sent them pictures. Its a bummer I got an over polished case this time but with this level of attention I am confident that this will get worked out to my satisfaction. I always tell my employees. Its not if we make mistakes that matters because everyone makes mistakes. Its how we respond to our mistakes that makes us a great company.

Thanks again for your help

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm going to get one now. Hearing about all these problems...

It is really a cool case if it gets fixed or when it gets fixed I am sure it will be a great case. I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money on the polished version though. I am not really sure what the difference is. I wanted exactly what is shown in the picture and seeing the shiny glossy lines I assumed that paying the extra for the Polished version would get me that. Gibbage is telling me that my case is over polished I think it is just a mistake. Maybe a better explanation of what the difference is between polished and non polished would be helpful.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The case is 1.5MM thick and wont add much bulk to your phone. Also the weight is very light.

For the question about "polishing" it wont give you a glossy finish. The phone cases are made by lasers searing togeather layers of nylon powder. The model has a very dusty or chalky feel. Polishing will smooth this chalky feel to make it more waxy. Here is a photo of the difference.

wsf-polishcompare.jpg

On the left, is the unpolished, on the right is polished. It will dull hard lines, but it should NOT remove them. I had a case come over polished, and Shapeways did the right thing by giving me the option of a refund, or a reprint. Im confident they will fix the problem.

As for colored, im working on a method to provide basic colors (black, blue, red) right now. Since im doing this alone, and on a shoe string budget, it takes time.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
The case is 1.5MM thick and wont add much bulk to your phone. Also the weight is very light.

For the question about "polishing" it wont give you a glossy finish. The phone cases are made by lasers searing togeather layers of nylon powder. The model has a very dusty or chalky feel. Polishing will smooth this chalky feel to make it more waxy. Here is a photo of the difference.

View attachment 33413

On the left, is the unpolished, on the right is polished. It will dull hard lines, but it should NOT remove them. I had a case come over polished, and Shapeways did the right thing by giving me the option of a refund, or a reprint. Im confident they will fix the problem.

As for colored, im working on a method to provide basic colors (black, blue, red) right now. Since im doing this alone, and on a shoe string budget, it takes time.

Thank you for the picture that makes perfect sense. My case is just defective. I will get a reprint because I really like the design. I sent pictures to shapeway I am waiting for a reply.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the picture that makes perfect sense. My case is just defective. I will get a reprint because I really like the design. I sent pictures to shapeway I am waiting for a reply.

They were always fast on a reply with me. Please let me know how things turn out.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
They were always fast on a reply with me. Please let me know how things turn out.

I just heard back from shapeways they tell me the issue is poor powder quality. They have issues me a new order number and are going to reprint the case. I should have a new case by the end of the month. YAY!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb