Anyone getting 928 @ retail cost to keep Unlimited?

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought WP fans would know that Verizon reps don't know a whole lot. When I got my trophy at release they had no idea what it was. I told them it was in their inventory and arrived today on the truck (i knew a guy that knew a guy). They gave me the look "you're really gonna make me go through those boxes?" and an hour later I had my trophy, but their jaws were still on the counter that I traded android for WP. The chick was using some 5in dell android phone at the time lol. More recently I told my mom to get the 822 since it was free. The store rep so no it wasn't so my mom called me and I told her have the person look at the verizon website and I heard oh it is free.... Then when my mom gets home the lady made my mom a microsoft account and didn't give her the password.... So her phone was setup with a microsoft account that couldn't be managed...

Do your research before you go there and you won't have issues. And if you are buying a phone retail to keep unlimited make sure the first thing you say is "don't change anything on my account". Anything they "accidentally" do is NOT reversible.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I will pay full retail price of my next phone. I have unlimited data including unlimited tethering. When Verizon first announced LTE, I got the Thunderbolt and had the option at that time to pay $30 a month for unlimited Tethering so I took it. I travel a lot, so my data usage is very high.

If you have an unlimited data plan, you can get unlimited tethering data (which is a subcomponent of the unlimited data) for $30/month now. You can also add and cancel out the tethering at any time and pay a pro-rated amount for that month. I've done that 3-4 times over the last 5 months.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
This is all speculation until the thing is actually released and we can see what it is. From the pics leaked today, I really like the look of this handset better than the 920. But won't be switching carriers for it. My plan would be to pay full price for off contract, then pop in a Straight-Talk or Net10 sim card like we can do now with the 920. However if this is only available on Verizon, it would be a CDMA version right?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
This is all speculation until the thing is actually released and we can see what it is. From the pics leaked today, I really like the look of this handset better than the 920. But won't be switching carriers for it. My plan would be to pay full price for off contract, then pop in a Straight-Talk or Net10 sim card like we can do now with the 920. However if this is only available on Verizon, it would be a CDMA version right?

It will have CDMA bands but a lot of VZW handsets come globally unlocked for GSM. Examples are the 8X, DNA, iPhone 5, etc.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Remember is it against the LAW to SIM unlock any phone made after Jan 31st 2013 in the US. So if Verizon SIM locks it, it would be against the law for you to mod the phone to change it to use on another carrier.

Stupid law....It just so happens I was talking about it with someone the other day and looked it up.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Iirc, Verizon can't lock their LTE phones. It was a provision that came with some of the spectrum they bought a little while ago. That's why the iPhone 5 and the 8X and such are unlocked.

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Remember is it against the LAW to SIM unlock any phone made after Jan 31st 2013 in the US. So if Verizon SIM locks it, it would be against the law for you to mod the phone to change it to use on another carrier.

Stupid law....It just so happens I was talking about it with someone the other day and looked it up.

Wow...I know US has a tendency to push some stupid policies through but that is just stupid. Why on earth would they even do that? Its such a minority of customers that do it. I doubt its even financially viable to enforce it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

But it is also a violation of Verizon's agreement with the FCC to lock phones to their network. So it will be SIM unlocked.

Iirc, Verizon can't lock their LTE phones. It was a provision that came with some of the spectrum they bought a little while ago. That's why the iPhone 5 and the 8X and such are unlocked.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wouldn't let me do the device payment plan for whatever reason even tho I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month now im trying to decide should I jump the gun and fork over my unlimited data..i was going to add a line but even if I did that it would be cheaper to go share everything 2 lines with my employee discounts wit 4gb runs me 133 a month decisions decisions...i was paying 139 before the discount with just one line

If I did a upgrade I'd be at roughly 96 a month with 4 gigs

Tough decision...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month..

Don't mean to sound meanor go off on a tangent, but WHY would you think Verizon owes ANY customer ANY thing? They are a multi-billion dollar company. They have NO loyalty to any single customer. We are just dollars and cents to them. Do NOT think they owe you anything. They are out to make money. That's not wrong, that's their JOB.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to sound meanor go off on a tangent, but WHY would you think Verizon owes ANY customer ANY thing? They are a multi-billion dollar company. They have NO loyalty to any single customer. We are just dollars and cents to them. Do NOT think they owe you anything. They are out to make money. That's not wrong, that's their JOB.
that's what they said the device payment plan was for the long tenure customers who pay their bill on time. Which I why im not understanding why I couldn't do it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

And that has been proven over the years. Verizon used to be a great company to be with, as they hand a ton of perks for long term customers, New every 2 (a credit up to $100 off a new phone at promtional pricing), detailed billing and lot of other little perks. One by one they pulled them away. So has all the other companies.

Verizon has the best coverage in most areas (at least where I live and work) but, if AT&T got TMOUS when they tried, they would of been able to compete with Verizon.

Sooner or later these companies will realise that it's better to keep a happy customer than just trying to get bodies on their network. Some of these perks will come back over time becuase of this. If you can find another carrier that has coverage in your area besides unlimited data, there is nothing holding you to your carrier any more, you can even take your number with you.

If the coverage is as good and the data/voice plans are the same or better, and maybe you save $5-10 a month, Why would anyone stay ? There is no perks any more...and the big companies know that.

Verizon wouldn't let me do the device payment plan for whatever reason even tho I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month now im trying to decide should I jump the gun and fork over my unlimited data..i was going to add a line but even if I did that it would be cheaper to go share everything 2 lines with my employee discounts wit 4gb runs me 133 a month decisions decisions...i was paying 139 before the discount with just one line

If I did a upgrade I'd be at roughly 96 a month with 4 gigs

Tough decision...

Save up some change, wait another month or so. You will find babied 928's for around $250-350. Just buy a used one.

Verizon (from when I talked to them) the insurance is tied to the number, not the phone, so you should be able to add it to used device. I have been able to with all my devices, and most have been used devices to save a little money.

Also, the phone came out about a month ago now, every 928 phone (unless you went swimming with it) is under Nokia warranty as it comes with a 1 year warranty. If you picked up a used one this week, you would still have at least 11 months of warranty left on it.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I don't think OP meant they "owed" him, just stated that they "would not" let him do that. I agree with you 100% that their job is to make money. However, excellent customer service and loyalty to their customers is part of that or should be. Folks at Verizon I'm sure are smart enough to realize that they are top dog because of the coverage/network they have( not their Cust. Serv., stores, plans, training, etc.). Without superior network/coverage that they are like the rest.

later

shockjay

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone for two weeks and my allotment is only 272 MB remaining for the next 14 days. As a result, I decided to up our data plan right away from 1 GB to 2 GB. Naturally, I'd rather pay $10 per month now rather than $15/month per 1 GB. I suppose the live tiles do come at a price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077