Any answer to no 4G support on sim free 920's

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have a press event RM-821_eu_ruro1_276 920 with the 1308 firmware but I cannot get 4G with my 4G EE sim!
I can get 4G by using the ##3282 field test settings but this never seems to last very long and reverts back to 3G. Nokia support have been as much use as a chocolate teapot. Are we still waiting for Nokia to roll out an update or am I missing something?
Thanks.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the only options are to wait for an official firmware update (which isn't confirmed to exist as far as I know) or flash to EE branded firmware. I'm just going to wait and cross my fingers

skimer

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Same here in Portugal i have the unlock red version i already flash alot of firmwares and stayed the same no 4G enable this sucks anyone can help

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I also tested this with a friend's Galaxy Note II and the Lumia 920 with developer firmware was a tiny bit faster.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, there is some branding in the Rom, in the about section it says EE as carrier and favourites in internet explorer has EE etc. I know it's not much but still annoying!
I did have the EE rom on my phone for a while and the 4G worked fine! The real question is will Nokia update the Sim free firmware?
If Nokia are supplying sim free handsets to the UK then surely these phones should support EE's 4G network out of the box but they don't and Nokia are still rolling out updates for the unbranded rom so why haven't they already included support in the 1308 update?
I phoned Nokia support but I could not get them to understand that the standard version rom on my phone does not support 4g, they just kept saying that the 920 was 4g and if I had a 4g enabled sim in a 4g area I would get 4g but as a lot of us know this isn't true!

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Why you do not use some other country's firmware, to get 4G and change language to english ... I have used few different country's firmwares and it works well ... however, you can not update that with NSU, only by NCS ... I can remember I tried english firmware too, but the volume level and missing 4G, made me change to other one - I am using swedish now :) ... and dutch and german firmwares should be OK too ...

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have tried other firmware and the 4G works. It's not really about flashing other roms to get it to work it's why the supplied firmware does not work?

skimer

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
witch firmware do you flash your lumia with i whant to test if it can enable the 4G i have already tested alot of them and no 4G enable on the options

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I also dont understand why unbranded roms like the greek one do not provide the 4g option.

If you believe the video below Nokia should already have updated sim free handsets to allow use with EE's 4G network!
Learn more on the 4G LTE technology on the new Nokia Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 - YouTube
The interesting bit is about one minute forty five seconds where he states that Nokia will release updates as networks roll out their 4G networks!
Will they live up to this?

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 on Three and I recently flashed it with the generic UK 1304 firmware. Today I found some generic Austrailia/NZ (APAC) 1314 firmware and flashed it again. You can set the country to UK and there is no apparent Australian customisation. The benefit is that you get the latest firmware and can select 4G :) - not that this is currently any use with Three!

The APAC 1341 firmware is available here: https://mega.co.nz/#!OhhUVRqD!S9qVZSE5b0MkhAYki2Vj3Wvfp7Yr4pD2c0c2m6ID4kA

Hornet2012

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 on Three and I recently flashed it with the generic UK 1304 firmware. Today I found some generic Austrailia/NZ (APAC) 1314 firmware and flashed it again. You can set the country to UK and there is no apparent Australian customisation. The benefit is that you get the latest firmware and can select 4G :) - not that this is currently any use with Three!

The APAC 1341 firmware is available here: https://mega.co.nz/#!OhhUVRqD!S9qVZSE5b0MkhAYki2Vj3Wvfp7Yr4pD2c0c2m6ID4kA

Thanks for that, might give it a try! Just out of curiosity if your phone was supplied by Three UK did the original rom have 4G in the drop down for highest connection speed?
Would be interesting to know if the Vodafone and O2 UK roms have it too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel