HTC 8X unlocked sim free international on AT&T 3G

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Picked up htc 8x international to use on at&t 3G u.s.

having issues
1. At&t 3G data doesn't work well. Seems to have issues keeping connection
2. Search doesn't work well. Again on at&t 3G, can't use voice search but voice search works on tmo and WiFi
3. No mms even after manually setting apn
4. Manually set apn for both data and mms
5. Tethering checks for provisioning
6. This is 3/4G device, but doesn't work well on at&t

any suggestions?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Most international phones are not compatible with US cellular bands/ frequencies. Check the back of the box or under the About section in Settings to confirm that your device is compatible with Att 3g/4g bands.

Also, make sure your account is set to the US. Also, there's an app called Connection Setup that's helpful in setting up the data connections for you. I believe the app is free.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Ive tried all suggestions.
1. I don't think HTC supports at&t 3G. Probably supports 4G on unlocked htc8x
2. 850 and 1900 are the Bands I think I need. Both are available on this device
3. Connection app setup probably assumes 4G plan. Again I want to use 3G thanks!

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Ive tried all suggestions.
1. I don't think HTC supports at&t 3G. Probably supports 4G on unlocked htc8x
2. 850 and 1900 are the Bands I think I need. Both are available on this device
3. Connection app setup probably assumes 4G plan. Again I want to use 3G thanks!

Oh I see what you're saying now...Every since LTE became the new technology that carriers are striving for, most carriers lump 3g with 4g. Some say that 4g is technically 3.5g according to data speeds. So, in that regard you won't be able to specify 3g instead of 4g because it is essentially the same technology.

kj_wp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It really doesn't matter, 3/4G. What I know is the unlocked sim free phone purchased doesn't do well with at&t.

I found a work around. Still having issues though

All comments below based on using mobile data.
Search button doesn't work when on mobile data. A few apps don't work well either. If I'm searching have to search multiple times until data connection ok. IE browser works everytime though. Voice search on mobile says no data connection. Just aggravating!!

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok so it sounds like you're getting data on one frequency but not the other. For instance, T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 bands for 3g/4g. But you need both 1700 and 2100 for the best connectivity. So maybe your international unlocked version has one of the att bands and not the other...and maybe that's why you get data connection sometimes and not all the time. Also, if your phone does have both att bands it could be that the signal is weak in your area.

Abhiram Prasan

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Look like an APN issue. Spent an hour on the phone and got it fixed.

I have an international HTC 8x on ATT and had no access to data. ATT use 850/1900 like you said and the device works on the same spectrum.

I know this is 9 months later but hope it helps another person :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos