My first 2 weeks with the Lumia 720 (a review)

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
My 820 acted really slow with a SDcard in it when I got it at launch, but with a update from Nokia a few weeks later it went away. Hopefully Nokia will release a bug fix update soon for any issues with the 720. I do notice a bit of slowing with my 720, but it's tolerable for me.

Sadly, after a week of using the Lumia 720 on a business trip, "tolerable" is about as good as I can say.

The SD card stuff was maddening for me. I had videos on the SD card, but the phone didn't show any under the Videos section -- even though they showed under the "Recently Added" section *AND* I could play them. Whatever. With the SD card inserted, photos typically took an extra few seconds to "snap" -- even though I had "save to phone" as the storage location of choice. The phone was also noticeably slower in various areas when the SD card was present. Lame.

So......I ended up removing the SD card when I wanted to use the phone in any semi-responsive way -- photos, etc. -- and then inserting the card again when I wanted to listen to music.

A *very* smart "smartphone" indeed.

RRR13

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there!

I have my sights set on a red 720 as well and I'm curious how much free available storage it has. I couldn't find this info anywhere.

jaywp8

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Came from android it lags often at some point it will be heavier, where as windows 8 is very fluid, using from 2 weeks not find any minor lags, awesome display and colors, ui is so beautiful, complete social networking phone, beautiful synchronizing. Before i am fan of android now windows 8. And it can only be beautiful with Nokia. Sorry for my bad english.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I really like this phone; however, Internet sharing and visual voicemail does not work on AT&T.

I bought the 620 to us on att. Your issue with internet sharing and voicemail is probably same as mine.

But as of yesterday, internet sharing works . Att recognizes unlocked phones as dumb phones. I called att and they said they will add my imei so network sees 620 as smart phone. After a couple days it works now. So call att.

I hhaven'ttried vvoicemail yet, scared to because if it doesn't work it will sync nonstop. Only way to stop is factory reset. I may do it later.

atyl1972

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Yip, many thanks for the expertly written review but what I'd like to know if possible, without the wireless charger case ( which I can't seem to get anywhere ) will the 720 be charged using the DT 900 or the DT 901?

Please can you respond ASAP as I'm about to purchase this handset?

Kindest regards

ANDY Taylor

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Yip, many thanks for the expertly written review but what I'd like to know if possible, without the wireless charger case ( which I can't seem to get anywhere ) will the 720 be charged using the DT 900 or the DT 901?

No. The wireless charging shell is necessary. The phone does not have the necessary wireless charging hardware built in.

4d4d

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I 've got lumia 720 and noticed that when talking over the phone for ca. 10 min. the upper part gets noticeably warm (to your ear).
Anybody got the same issue?

Also when using e.g. skype - after ten minutes the upper part (with the speaker) is really warm.

Cheers
4d

4d4d

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My lumia 720 gets noticeably warm in the upper part after, say, a 10 min phone call.
Do you have this issue too?

Also when using skype, it tends to heat up in the upper part - do you notice that?

4d4d4d

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

thanks for a thorough interview. It actually helped me in decision to buy 720.
Being a happy user overall I noted three things which are bothering:
1) my lumia 720 gets warm (not hot) at the speaker, when I am on the phone over 10 minutes - as I read that this one has no overheating problems, I wonder if this is a fault. It's only warm, but to my ear it is noticeable and I'd rather it did not. Is yours similar?
This thing bothers me most, as it can affect battery, but this is the first "bigger" screen phone I own, and first Nokia, so I have no clue how it should behave here.

2) when starting camera in a quiet surroundings (e.g. when there's no one else around) it gives away a short sound of actual shutter (a bit screechy)? - of course I have "no shutter sound" in settings - is this normal?

3) it does quite often show "call dropped" info, when calling out, or an sms notice of unconnected call from someone - and it's more often than my previous phones

Cheers
4d

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Being a happy user overall I noted three things which are bothering:
1) my lumia 720 gets warm (not hot) at the speaker, when I am on the phone over 10 minutes - as I read that this one has no overheating problems, I wonder if this is a fault. It's only warm, but to my ear it is noticeable and I'd rather it did not. Is yours similar?
This thing bothers me most, as it can affect battery, but this is the first "bigger" screen phone I own, and first Nokia, so I have no clue how it should behave here.

2) when starting camera in a quiet surroundings (e.g. when there's no one else around) it gives away a short sound of actual shutter (a bit screechy)? - of course I have "no shutter sound" in settings - is this normal?

3) it does quite often show "call dropped" info, when calling out, or an sms notice of unconnected call from someone - and it's more often than my previous phones

1) This is fairly normal. The location that is getting warm is where the SoC is located. Like most processors, it heats up when working hard. So most phones get a bit warm during long calls. As to this affecting battery life, well of course it will. Using the phone uses battery power. But there's nothing you can do about this other than not use your phone. How often do you need to recharge your phone?

2) This could be the autofocus working. If it's inordinately loud it could be a fault in the camera module (I can hardly hear mine working).

3) Each phone performs differently in picking up low signals. I've found my Lumia 720 to be pretty good at holding onto a call signal, even when coverage is a bit patchy. If you've got good signal strength and the phone still drops calls (to land lines not mobiles - it could be the other mobile's fault) then you might want to investigate further.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Did you find the drop in screen resolution to be an issue? Also, do you think the AMOLED screen on the 720 suits WP8 better than an IPS screen?

The 720 has a IPS Clear Black display, not AMOLED. Owning the 820 & 720 the lower resolution doesn't bother me much. But I do like the True Black IPS better as it is more accurate with displaying colors, than the 820 with AMOLED that tends to over saturate colors. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb