Amount of temporary files after cleaning with "Storage Check"

Anubhav Kumar

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Today in India I received 1308 update for my 820. But after cleaning the temporary files using "storage check" it goes to a minimum of 233 mb. Whereas in a video on wpcentral I saw it went upto 29mb.

So,if anyone has used storage check on 820, can you plz comment the minimum temporary files on your phone.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My temporary files are still at 271MB even after clearing them with the app. I've done some testing, and it looks like any files uploaded to Skydrive through the pictures hub cannot be cleared using the storage check. I have automatic upload switched off, but have been testing the manual 'Save to Skydrive' method, the temp files always grow, but cannot be cleared using storage check.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
There will always be *some* temporary files as apps installed, running, IE cache etc will always need some temporary storage. You won't ever have 0mb temporary files.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
actually i would advice you to take it easy. 820 is cheaper than 920 therefore you have to live with the limitation. Its crude way of saying it but thats the fact.

JMannikko

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I started to upload images to Skydrive since there was only about 1,7GB free space on my phone, and now my Lumia 820's temporary items size is 1,8GB and it won't clear with storage check functionality. ...ooops, trying to clear some space it ended up filling all the rest.
What to do?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I started to upload images to Skydrive since there was only about 1,7GB free space on my phone, and now my Lumia 820's temporary items size is 1,8GB and it won't clear with storage check functionality. ...ooops, trying to clear some space it ended up filling all the rest.
What to do?

Hello,

To clear your skydrive cache, you need to go to skydrive.com and move every file in the 'Camera Roll' and 'Mobile Uploads' folders into a new differently named folder.

Once you have moved everything, go to your pictures hub on your windows phone, and allow it to refresh \ update.

Once it has done this, all of the skydrive upload cache on your phone will clear. So you should notice the temporary files in storage check reduce dramatically.

JMannikko

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

To clear your skydrive cache, you need to go to skydrive.com and move every file in the 'Camera Roll' and 'Mobile Uploads' folders into a new differently named folder.

Once you have moved everything, go to your pictures hub on your windows phone, and allow it to refresh \ update.

Once it has done this, all of the skydrive upload cache on your phone will clear. So you should notice the temporary files in storage check reduce dramatically.

I did that... and now those 'Camera Roll' and 'Mobile Uploads' folders both on phone and SkyDrive are empty, but no change on phone's temporary files folder, it is still 1,7GB.
(I got it reduced from 1.8GB to 1.7GB by clearing IE, maps, office and search caches). It also seems that the new picture folder I created on SkyDrive is now visible on my phone's photos/albums. How long should it take for the temporary files folder to empty? ... it won't empty even now with storage check.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't say it should go to 0 mb but something of 50 mb temporary file is enough.
I think it depends on the apps you installed. I reset mine y'day and saw that with no additional apps after reset, Temp was 4 MB, Others was 180 MB for me. Now after installing about 20 apps and 10 games, this shows me 9 MB temp and 430 MB Others.

Ihawks

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I might be a bit late in saying this but after trying to use the temp file cleaner with no success and being rather frustrated with the ridiculous other storage issue constantly growing i did a factory reset after installing the latest update and hey presto! , everything works as promised. Ok i had to start from the beginning again but freed up a lot of memory and was even able to download and install the elusive asphalt 7 and modern combat and then install all the apps back on top of that. Everything is working great still. But o still think games need to be able to be stored memory cards especially with low memory phones.

JMannikko

May 10, 2013
Visit site
There is an issue with (photo) updloads to SkyDrive filling the temporary items. When I started to upload photos to Skydirive, I had about 1,8GB free space on my Lumia 820, and after a while the whole memory was full. I uploaded successfylly about 600MB of photos, but the same time the phone filled the temporary items to 1.8GB and thus went to full stop with all memory gone. And I haven't had any success of freeing up the temporary items. Rather stupid feature for freeing up space is actually filling up all the space. Microsoft should fix this asap.

zeekhan786

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this the fix but ive removed all the items in camera roll and put them in a different folder. Ive cleared the camera roll saved pictures and screenshots. Since i did that my other and temporary files are gradually over time decreasing. I don't know if this is the fix but if it works then hey ho. Ill keep u posted on if it continues to decrease.

Olof Lagerkvist

May 28, 2013
Visit site
A little late reply maybe, but I wanted to share some experience in the discussed matter.

I have seen that after moving files from SkyDrive Camera Roll folder, I had to wait two weeks until "Storage Check" > "Clear temporary files" actually cleared the files. I assume that might be why some users report that it does not work while others report it as successful.

Now, with over 2 GB temporary files that were not possible to clear with Storage Check app, I was thinking that maybe there could be a way to trick WP8 to believe that there is time to remove the temporary files. So I just changed the date/time to two weeks ahead and retried. It worked and I was back at around 200 MB temporary files instead of > 2 GB.

Now, one could wonder why there is a two-week lifetime for such temporary files. There should at least be a way to adjust that time, or to remove temporary files even if they have remaining lifetime. But anyway, this trick has worked for me a few times now and it is definitely a lot easier than alternatives, such as factory resets or similar.

RASH53

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It worked.

Thank you so much, had my Lumia 820 less than 2 weeks. Put in a SD card and decided to transfer my photos etc from my N8. Suddenly :- No space left. Over 3 Gb in the Temporary files.
Put the date forward, went to storage check, cleared temporary files and there on 73MB.

I would never have thought of doing something like that.

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
A little late reply maybe, but I wanted to share some experience in the discussed matter.

I have seen that after moving files from SkyDrive Camera Roll folder, I had to wait two weeks until "Storage Check" > "Clear temporary files" actually cleared the files. I assume that might be why some users report that it does not work while others report it as successful.

Now, with over 2 GB temporary files that were not possible to clear with Storage Check app, I was thinking that maybe there could be a way to trick WP8 to believe that there is time to remove the temporary files. So I just changed the date/time to two weeks ahead and retried. It worked and I was back at around 200 MB temporary files instead of > 2 GB.

Now, one could wonder why there is a two-week lifetime for such temporary files. There should at least be a way to adjust that time, or to remove temporary files even if they have remaining lifetime. But anyway, this trick has worked for me a few times now and it is definitely a lot easier than alternatives, such as factory resets or similar.
That's great find dude...
I freed more than 400mb!!!
Now my temp files r only 9mb!!!
Never expected this..woohoo..
Thanks a lot buddy.
And one more advantage on forwarding the date- now my market shows 14 updates!

rynthnyltrr

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
wow great find! you should tip daniel rubino about this. can't belive i have 2 mb of temp files now after clearing files from 158 mb! just wow! thanks man! :)

Olof Lagerkvist

May 28, 2013
Visit site
wow great find! you should tip daniel rubino about this. can't belive i have 2 mb of temp files now after clearing files from 158 mb! just wow! thanks man! :)

I have sent Daniel Rubino a PM now. Hope he could try to find out some more about it, particularly ask some representatives from Nokia and/or Microsoft about this matter.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes