Surface Pro 7 deal! Save big at Amazon right now

08-06-2014 09:51 AM
66 123
tools
    Thanks for the replies to my N8 v. WP ownership query!

I think I'll likely wait to buy a WP EOS if the specs are what I imagine them to be. I neglected to say that I'm a heavy user of SkyDrive, so the WP integration with SkyDrive is attractive. I currently use SkyFiles and FilesPlus on Symbian, which work OK for moving files back and forth to SkyDrive, but being able to play mp3 tracks or viewing/editing Office docs directly from SkyDrive without downloading them first is appealing. I assume that this can be done on WP?

Opera on Symbian is great. Since there is no ESPN app for Symbian, I have all my favorite ESPN pages bookmarked in Opera and they load in a jiffy.

Another thing I'm looking forward to on WP is the ability to use Netflix -- both to access my queue as well as perhaps to watch videos. I think I'd prefer to watch on my 46" TV, though, instead of a 5" phone screen.

What I know I'll miss the most is the Symbian "Situations" app. I hope MS makes available the APIs so developers could develop such an app for WP. I might even resurrect my coding skills to create such an app if MS made the APIs available.

@JustToClarify: is that a Lammergeir as your avatar? I've seen them in the Himalayas and on Crete. Amazing birds! The other day I saw a Northern Goshawk while looking outside my classroom window. Not a Lammergeir, but still an awe-inspiring raptor.
    05-01-2013 09:44 PM
    I don't feel comfortable with 'Google' in my pocket as well
    Glad I am not the only one who feels like that.. I know it sounds paranoid, but I just can't trust an advertising/marketing company for some reason.

As for the 808.. if you don't really need it, sell it. I assume you have a good dedicated P&S, otherwise I was going to suggest keeping it just as a cam.

Opera on Symbian is great. Since there is no ESPN app for Symbian, I have all my favorite ESPN pages bookmarked in Opera and they load in a jiffy. .
    Can I suggest something a little different, in case you haven't tried it yourself already..

Turn off java, flash, and auto reload on the default browser (assuming those ESPN pages don't require java), pin the bookmarks on one of your home screens, and that way it will save you a click, and you should be able to get to your content faster.

to pin a bookmark, press/hold on the homescreen > add widget > bookmark

In fact, with those things turned off, the default browser is not all that bad... here it is compared to an iphone 5. That is with the pre Feature Pack 2 browser

05-01-2013 10:29 PM
    vlad0, how do you turn java and flash off? The settings are a little cryptic. I see an option that says "Java/ECMA script", but that's for javascript, not java. I also can't seem to find an option for disabling Flash.
    05-01-2013 11:24 PM
    .. perfect example of how cluttered Symbian can be..

The java script option is the one I am talking about, so just disable that. Some pages won't work, but most work fine. The CPU/RAM combo on the 808 is too weak to properly deal with java scripts.. they do work, but slow down the browser quite a bit.

Settings > page > load content > Images (no flash)

You will see the automatic reload option there as well.
    05-02-2013 01:07 AM
    I just had to post a few pics. I LOVE the way this phone feels in my hand. Just look at that texture.

If it's one thing I hate about certain phones it's that they are too slippery.

05-04-2013 01:15 AM
    yeah it's specially important on cameracentric devices :)
    05-04-2013 04:14 AM
    ah.. that red one looks great.. thanks for the pics mister2d.

The design of the phone screams purpose .. it was meant to be an imaging device, and you can tell right away. And don't forget.. it was a 4-5 year project, because they had to wait for that processing power to catch up to the idea (and ironically.. they still are on WP side), so they had plenty of time to design the casing.

I am guessing that the EOS will have a similar design.. I doubt that they will change much from the N8 and the 808.. the hump will still be at the top of the phone.

Contrary to .. blogosphere belief, the hump doesn't really get in the way, even when you are holding it. In fact, I think that is one of the main reasons why the 808 feels so good in hand..

I took a closer look at how it fits in your hand compared to the iPhone 5.. and.. yes, it actually offers better ergonomics overall:

Because of the curvature, it fits in your palm in a more natural way, kind of like the N9 > 800 > 900 >900 line

compared to the flat iPhone 5

Your index finger comes right beneath the hump, and that gives you that sense of a.. solid/natural hold.

Overall, for the people who are afraid that the new EOS will be .. hard to hold or whatever because of the sensor hump, don't be.

And I am not saying that its a flawless design.. there is no such thing, and I am sure that we will se an improvement in the new phone. One of the issues is that when you lay it flat, it rests on the edge of the hump, which puts lots of wear pressure on there, it was the same exact thing with the N8.

So after a year without a case, the paint starts to rub off from the metal, and this is what you get:

You could prevent that from happening in several different ways, but I really don't care enough to do anything about it ..
    Last edited by vlad0; 05-04-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    mister2d likes this.
    05-04-2013 12:21 PM
    yes that's what I've got on my N8 after two years (not that much visible but very close) and it doesn't bother me one bit
    05-04-2013 07:49 PM
    vlad0

Are you located in the US? I ask because I have this long standing issue of not being able to start the JoikuSpot app to enable tethering. After much searching I landed on Nokia forums and there is some talk that the US versions of the Nokia 808 have tethering disabled because of FCC agreements.

Does JoikuSpot work for you? Or any other tethering app on you 808? I think I've tried everything.
    07-11-2013 09:40 PM
    JoikuSpot worked fine on my N8. I switched to an 808 a month ago. I absolutely love the phone. Sadly, JoikuSpot doesn't seem to work on the 808. I did read on the blog for the custom firmware known as "The One" for the 808 that the latest rev of that CFW specifically enables JoikuSpot to work in the US on the 808. I haven't tried flashing the CFW yet, but I might give it a try. It is a wonderful freedom to have JoikuSpot at the ready for when you can't find WiFi for your laptop.

By the way, I adore the 808. I've never had a phone that just left me feeling happy by merely using it. I loved the N8, but the 808's extra speed, fantastic screen visibility outdoors, the camera (of course), the dedicated GPU for the camera, and the butter-smooth transitions from app to app and to the phone dialer are all wonderful. I had thought of waiting for the Nokia 1020, but the lack of SD card storage on the 1020 and the lack of sound profiles were show stoppers for me. Symbian's "Situations" app is a must-have functionality for me. Having 70GB of music on my phone has allowed me to relegate my iPod Classic to sitting next to my stereo as my system's MP3 player, while for on-the-go music listening, I have all my tracks on my phone.

Good luck with JoikuSpot. If you try "The One" let me know how it goes.
    mister2d likes this.
    07-12-2013 12:53 PM
    JoikuSpot worked fine on my N8. I switched to an 808 a month ago. I absolutely love the phone. Sadly, JoikuSpot doesn't seem to work on the 808. I did read on the blog for the custom firmware known as "The One" for the 808 that the latest rev of that CFW specifically enables JoikuSpot to work in the US on the 808. I haven't tried flashing the CFW yet, but I might give it a try. It is a wonderful freedom to have JoikuSpot at the ready for when you can't find WiFi for your laptop.

By the way, I adore the 808. I've never had a phone that just left me feeling happy by merely using it. I loved the N8, but the 808's extra speed, fantastic screen visibility outdoors, the camera (of course), the dedicated GPU for the camera, and the butter-smooth transitions from app to app and to the phone dialer are all wonderful. I had thought of waiting for the Nokia 1020, but the lack of SD card storage on the 1020 and the lack of sound profiles were show stoppers for me. Symbian's "Situations" app is a must-have functionality for me. Having 70GB of music on my phone has allowed me to relegate my iPod Classic to sitting next to my stereo as my system's MP3 player, while for on-the-go music listening, I have all my tracks on my phone.

Wow. Thanks a bunch for this. I swap sim cards with my 920 these days just so I can use Internet Sharing.

I'll try this CFW out later today and give tethering a try.
    07-12-2013 01:27 PM
    I had the N8 for about 2-3 years now, and just got my new unlocked Lumia 920 a couple days ago.
    The N8 was nice, the camera was certainly one of the reasons why I got it (really want to ditch the 920 already and wait for the 1020...) and it was text-friendly or me which was a big thing. Internet was super slow not that many apps, and overall, it was made into an outdated relic pretty fast.

With the Lumia 920 so far, texting's a little awkward for me and I don't know which apps/screens will allow tilt until I'm actually tilting the phone sideways laying down and I've had a couple bugs that are making me think that I may have a defective unit (unlocked = opened, then code input, then re-packaged?).

It's much more appealing and user-friendly plus the level of customization is much more flexible.

If I went back to an N8 from experiencing a Lumia 920, I'd be depressed.
    07-12-2013 02:35 PM
    I had the N8 for about 2-3 years now, and just got my new unlocked Lumia 920 a couple days ago.
    The N8 was nice, the camera was certainly one of the reasons why I got it (really want to ditch the 920 already and wait for the 1020...) and it was text-friendly or me which was a big thing. Internet was super slow not that many apps, and overall, it was made into an outdated relic pretty fast.

With the Lumia 920 so far, texting's a little awkward for me and I don't know which apps/screens will allow tilt until I'm actually tilting the phone sideways laying down and I've had a couple bugs that are making me think that I may have a defective unit (unlocked = opened, then code input, then re-packaged?).

It's much more appealing and user-friendly plus the level of customization is much more flexible.

If I went back to an N8 from experiencing a Lumia 920, I'd be depressed.

About a month ago I broke down and purchased Gravity. Yeah it's $9.99, but well worth the efficiency for Facebook alone. I use the other features but the Facebook client is what I use the most.
    07-12-2013 02:52 PM
    And it works like a charm. Not only does JokuSpot work, but my phone is faster. :D
    07-13-2013 05:34 AM
    Hello

I'm new to the forums after intense days of researching for a replacement for my N8.
    It's been almost 2 years since I bought it.
    The prospects for replacement has been Lumia 1520 or Lumia 930.
    I just saw the L930 posted here at a Mexican auction site and it's too pricey (around 730 USD).

I grew accustomed to using Symbian since my 5233, then 5530, and now N8. What I like the most is the practicality of apps, having a notification light to see missed text, whatsapp or calls, I don't know why modern cellphones don't include this light. The L930 does not have Glance, which I think is the "replacement" for the notification light, kind of...

The L1520 has received very good reviews, this phablet is just too big in size, and it could interfere when I'm commuting in my bike, just imagining I might drop it makes me shiver. Also the screen supposedly is not very though, there are videos that attest to this on Youtube.

So, the next option was maybe get the 808, the grandiose latest Symbian powered device, well I looked and it's pricey, even some listings here at MX are selling it for the same cost of the L930!

Also, I don't know why the N8 value has deprecated so much, I've seen countless of ads selling it used for like less than 100 USD, some even 50!

Anyways, for the kind of usage I do with my N8, all I need is faster speed, more memory, same platform (Symbian) as all we know is "dead".
    I don't tend to take a lot of pictures, until I stumbled into the Nokia 603... which has the same hardware specs CPU and memory wise as the 808 (1.3GHz upgraded after the FP1), have found a seller selling it brand new boxes really cheap (1000 MXP, something like 76 USD).

So I'm thinking on buying that cellphone and continue enjoying Symbian until a good cellphone strikes me as a worthy upgrade to spend some serious cash.

nokia-603-negro-jumpymovil-1.jpg

What do you guys think?
    07-30-2014 02:17 PM
    Looks like the 603 might be the one for you. I still have my 808 :) .
    08-06-2014 09:51 AM
66 123